CC vs cash in restaurants in your area?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kevin,
To fit in the checkout line better, bury your phone in the bottom of your purse and don't even think about using it till it's time to pay. Then you fumble around in there a bit, take time to tell one of your screaming rug rats not to jump out of the cart. Finally finding it, then discovering it doesn't work very well powered off. Trust me , some humans will find a way to screw up the simplest things, oblivious to the suffering they cause.
As I said " strangling them in my mind"...........
Dave, yes you are correct. I only have one screaming rug rat, unless you count my wife… (JOKE!)

My wife did have to show me how to use it. The first time I tried, I had a mask on. And of course the credit card app on the phone needs facial ID, so I couldn’t get it to work. It took some time, a long time. My daughter was with me. She never said it was the mask until we were outside. I’m sure she was thoroughly embarrassed. Oh well.

Edited to add:

But, contactless payment is here to stay. I’m sure all businesses want the point of payment to be sped up. The faster it is, the fewer cashiers are necessary and customers are happier.

If the business didn’t have to count cash at the end of the night, imagine how much faster closing would be? And less chance of employee theft.
There is one nice thing about cash. It can’t be hacked.
But it can be stolen by employees.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Edited to add:

But, contactless payment is here to stay. I’m sure all businesses want the point of payment to be sped up. The faster it is, the fewer cashiers are necessary and customers are happier.

If the business didn’t have to count cash at the end of the night, imagine how much faster closing would be? And less chance of employee theft.

But it can be stolen by employees.
All of those credit card info crimes have been committed by someone’s employee. So I that type of theft probably happens more often these days.

I’m not a business owner, but wouldn’t it make sense for this business to raise the price of some item by a quarter? It just seems like this sign might cause some customers to go somewhere else. But nobody would notice if the prices were just a couple cents higher. Or would they?
They have their prices posted on their menus. Why should I have to pay more when I pay cash because someone else uses plastic? I pay cash for most everything when in a person to person situation. When someone pays with plastic the person/company pays a fee. Doesn't happen with cash.

They have their prices posted on their menus. Why should I have to pay more when I pay cash because someone else uses plastic? I pay cash for most everything when in a person to person situation. When someone pays with plastic the person/company pays a fee. Doesn't happen with cash.
I was looking at this from the business's perspective. It's better to just build the cost into the menu than risk turning away even one customer. If I were walking up to this place, and saw this sign, I would more than likely go somewhere else. For them to have a "swipe fee" on a debit card is a little harsh.

Plus, and honestly, the sign isn't really that friendly. I'm sure some would agree with me on this. They could have worded it better. Because in reality, it's a quarter and won't change anyone's life. I have a bowl full in the other room. It's my car wash option. But, yes, I would walk away, I'm not grumpy, I just hate additional fees. Many people do.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
They could also charge you a admin fee for using cash. The time it takes to sort, count, take it to the bank etc, each day They can charge you a fee for anything they want.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I have Debit Cards that were issued with my credit cards and have NEVER used them. I refuse to use anything that gives access into my "accounts". With a credit card your much better off and have significantly more protections (IMHO). I do not sign up for bill pay or anything else that some companies want you to do, like the Elec. Co or Water Co. etc. I go into my bank and set it up through their bill pay app and pay my bill that way, and keep much tighter control than allowing dozens of other firms to access my account!

Montelores

Buckeye

There's some interesting information regarding cash vs. credit card vs. debit card spending in these 2 articles.

Some differences in %'s for some statistics, but maybe worth a few minutes of your time.

Again, never trust anything or anyone on the internet.

Even me!

;)

Monty

Last edited:
In spite of young folks hating everything old people do, and being disgusted with old people in general, I will continue to pay in cash. That will be my simple vengeance up until I reach the final checkout line.

Simultaneously, I will be expected to remain silent when I'm behind a youngster whose credit card is refused, while they search thru their purse to find one or a combination of them that have not yet reached their limits, while texting.

Amazing the hate in this country. And amazing, even grocery checkout rage is a real thing.

😉

Last edited:

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
In spite of young folks hating everything old people do, and being disgusted with old people in general, I will continue to pay in cash. That will be my simple vengeance up until I reach the final checkout line.

Simultaneously, I will remain silent when I'm behind a youngster whose credit card is refused, while they search thru their purse to find one or a combination of them that have not yet reached their limits.

Amazing the hate in this country. And amazing, even grocery checkout rage is a real thing.

So, when you reach the "final checkout line" do you go with the "10 items or less" line or do you go with the everything goes line?(LOL)

So, when you reach the "final checkout line" do you go with the "10 items or less" line or do you go with the everything goes line?(LOL)
Good question. I think I will fill up my whole cart, go to the 10-items or less line, pay with my jar of coins, and come up short on money. 😉

Oh... And bring lots of coupons.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
We have one local restaurant that doesn't accept credit cards. Several years ago we had a new department head that took seven or eight of his employees there for lunch. He pulled out a credit card then about fell over when they told him "cash only". He had to go back the next day and bring them cash.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
We have one local restaurant that doesn't accept credit cards. Several years ago we had a new department head that took seven or eight of his employees there for lunch. He pulled out a credit card then about fell over when they told him "cash only". He had to go back the next day and bring them cash.
I have also been to places that accept only cash, once! Sorry, in todays world you need to accept CC's IMHO When I was in Corp world we would take our teams out after major installations every month (IT) As a VP and my counter part was the CIO I would pay and he would sign for it. We would drop several hundred dollars. Any place dealing in cash only lost lots of big sales!

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I know a lot of folks totally prefer the electronic methods of paying for stuff.

One thing NOT mentioned here,,

What happens when you need something,, and the CC machine,, or the power grid is down?
Need gas? Sorry, no power to pump unless they have a b/u generator. Then if they do have the generator,, payment must be made in cash.
Need food? Electronic cash registers aren't able to work, so it's cash only.

Just yesterday, between jobs,, I swung into a McDonalds for a quick bite. I was going through the drive through. They had some kind of electronic malfunction, and were telling people; "Sorry, we can't sell anything right now, the computers are down." I asked; "Can't you take cash?" I was told they couldn't open the registers.

I went up the road a few miles, hit a Chic-filet, and enjoyed a better sandwich anyway. Plus better service. I paid in cash. And my service was very fast & properly handled.

Anything mechanical or operated by power can & will go down sooner or later. Having the ability to work around such problems can & does separate the prepared vs the dependents.

And as mentioned above,, electronic payment stuff is always at risk of getting hacked, info stolen, money stolen etc. Using cash,,, it's hard to get your personal info or lose money vs electronic theft.
But I'll say it again,, Big Brother wants to know EVERYTHING you have & how much money & such. It's all about taxes & control. A cashless society is their goal. Then Big Brother will have complete control.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Ty,

Do you go back far enough to remember the BIG Ole Brass Cash Registers with the hand crank on the side. We didn't need any electrons to get a $.25 hamburger then.
I still have my grandparent’s old National Cash register they used in their auto garage repair & cafe business in a rural Missouri town from 1924-58. Note the cash button is well worn, and the credit button looks new. 😁
247E9095-979F-4703-9691-DC5D64C99B41.jpeg

The ESSO gas station I worked at way back when (1967-1971) only had a manual cash register with the hand lever on the right hand side. Until it was sold in the early 80's this was the method used although because he was also had a U-Haul franchise U-Haul provided a card reader in the mid 70's to make things "easier". The owner also have "customer accounts" we'd pump the gas, do the work bag up the snacks etc. and write it on their "tab". No one evey failed (that I know of) to come in on payday and pay off their account.

Latest posts