CC vs cash in restaurants in your area?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BarkeyVA

Bearcat
One point, if you use cash be sure to count your change. Just yesterday an admittedly new employee at a local amusement park admitted defeat. She has to ask a supervisor how to make change.

This wasn’t high finance. The cost was $6.02. I gave her a twenty and a quarter. The look of utter incomprehension on her face was precious. I’m sure she had some nasty things to say about “old” people later to her friends.
That has happened to me too. Once a young lady pulled out her smart phone to calculate the change. In some stores, the “cash register” figures the change automatically once the payment amount is entered.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
That has happened to me too. Once a young lady pulled out her smart phone to calculate the change. In some stores, the “cash register” figures the change automatically once the payment amount is entered.
Why would you give her a $20 and a .25 quarter? for a $6.02 bill? You actually wanted $14.23 change instead of $13.98 from the $20? Way too much trouble for me.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Why would you give her a $20 and a .25 quarter? for a $6.02 bill? You actually wanted $14.23 change instead of $13.98 from the $20? Way too much trouble for me.
I wanted less change. But the why is unimportant. What matters is employing someone who can’t do a basic thing like make change as a cashier. Either hire someone with this terribly complicated skill or train them.

At an outdoor restaurant tonight and they have this sign posted.

PsTEaQOl.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
"Yes, here in SC its like stepping back in time, cash & checks, OMG! so very annoying when you are behind these people in line!"

Snake,, I know you feel you are being held up & wasting time. But I'll politely disagree about ALL people who use cash. I use cash all the time,, & have not found it to be any more time consuming than to have to scan a card, wait for the machine to accept or decline it,, and then have to sign a receipt.
And of course,, the clerks mentioned above,, they will waste more time than a few moments in line.
(1) They don't know which buttons to push on their cash register.
(2) The punch the wrong things on their machines.
(3) They have to call a manager to fix anything.
(4) They answer the phone instead of taking care of paying customers in front of them.

These are but a few things I see often.

And of course,,,, customers can also be slow as well.
(1) Slowly take stuff out of their cart in a specific order.
(2) Forget an item, and leave the line to get it,, OR,, send their kid to get it.
(3) Argue about the price of an item.
(4) Have a conversation about their kids or grandkids, or their pets with the cashier.
(5) Stop checking out to answer their cell phone.

Basically, EVERYBODY can be slow or fast.
Everybody can be prepared or not.
Everybody can be polite & considerate of the folks behind them,, OR,, think the world revolves ONLY around themselves, w/o caring what others may need to do.

Lastly,, if a few extra minutes in line is an inconvenience,, ask yourself,, "What if that's was my mother or father as they aged? Would I be as impatient with them if it was?

Just because a person chooses to use cash or a check,, isn't a real reason to get upset. As the old saying goes; "Relax & smell the roses" Besides,, we'll ALL be older someday, (Good Lord willing) and need a few extra moments to take care of our business.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Contender, some folks are always in a hurry. They will get behind someone with a large purchase and fidget. Or worse yet make snide comments under their breath.

I have to admit I’ve been known to move slowly while smiling at these types. I’ve even seen a couple again at the market with just an item or two. Usually I let folks like this go first. Instead I just smiled as their heads explode

Yes I can be a complete prick when I want to be. My wife has a tendency to laugh at such times.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
"Yes, here in SC its like stepping back in time, cash & checks, OMG! so very annoying when you are behind these people in line!"

Snake,, I know you feel you are being held up & wasting time. But I'll politely disagree about ALL people who use cash. I use cash all the time,, & have not found it to be any more time consuming than to have to scan a card, wait for the machine to accept or decline it,, and then have to sign a receipt.
And of course,, the clerks mentioned above,, they will waste more time than a few moments in line.
(1) They don't know which buttons to push on their cash register.
(2) The punch the wrong things on their machines.
(3) They have to call a manager to fix anything.
(4) They answer the phone instead of taking care of paying customers in front of them.

These are but a few things I see often.

And of course,,,, customers can also be slow as well.
(1) Slowly take stuff out of their cart in a specific order.
(2) Forget an item, and leave the line to get it,, OR,, send their kid to get it.
(3) Argue about the price of an item.
(4) Have a conversation about their kids or grandkids, or their pets with the cashier.
(5) Stop checking out to answer their cell phone.

Basically, EVERYBODY can be slow or fast.
Everybody can be prepared or not.
Everybody can be polite & considerate of the folks behind them,, OR,, think the world revolves ONLY around themselves, w/o caring what others may need to do.

Lastly,, if a few extra minutes in line is an inconvenience,, ask yourself,, "What if that's was my mother or father as they aged? Would I be as impatient with them if it was?

Just because a person chooses to use cash or a check,, isn't a real reason to get upset. As the old saying goes; "Relax & smell the roses" Besides,, we'll ALL be older someday, (Good Lord willing) and need a few extra moments to take care of our business.
Thanks for whacking me in the head. I needed that. You are right. Time to stop being in a hurry to go no where.

g5m

Single-Sixer
must be a high end place?
Family, local place. Busy as can be. Not a $100/person dinner place as none of those would qualify as a favorite for me.
(Although I have friends who aren't happy unless they are in a very high end place. Isn't it great that we have those choices?)

Maybe because I don't have much spare time I'm more respectful of other's and maybe not as forgiving when they waste mine. Pretty much always remain polite and keep my mouth shut and poker faced, but strangling them in my mind. Check out lines can be trying for all the reasons already mentioned. My personal ones are not writing the check out while the cashier is ringing items, you know what store you're in, what day it is and can sign the thing instead of just standing there with your thumb up your butt.
Same deal with cash, figure out which of your sixteen pockets your wallet is in before you need it. Then when you get your change don't stand in line and look at all the bills like you've never seen them before while carefully placing them in order in your wallet. Stuff em in a pocket and get the &*%$ out of the way!!!
Oh and 99 percent of the time the cashier doesn't care about whatever you're rambling on to her/him/it about, you're just interrupting the day dream they were having as they pretend to care.

contender

Ruger Guru
Morning Snake. Often,, we poor humans forget to look at things from a different viewpoint,, (me included,) until someone allows us to see things differently.
My better half,, Miss Penny just whacks me upside the head to joggle my thinking cap. :D
Glad you understood my post!

Question:
For those who use cash, how do you pay for gas? Do you have to go inside the gas station?

I’m not in a hurry at the grocery store and often times let people with fewer items go in front of me if there is a line.

But I do have to politely disagree with people using cash and waiting for change. Just the nature of handing cash, and waiting for change is slower.

Apple Pay and using your phone where it’s accepted is lightening fast. The credit card info is stored on your phone, just open the app, tap the phone on the payment system and you’re done.

And yes, it’s secure. Not accepted at Wal Mart for some reason, but almost everywhere else.

Yes, it’s secure. And yes I realize the demographics of the people here will not be using Apple Pay anytime soon :)

Question:
For those who use cash, how do you pay for gas? Do you have to go inside the gas station?

I’m not in a hurry at the grocery store and often times let people with fewer items go in front of me if there is a line.

But I do have to politely disagree with people using cash and waiting for change. Just the nature of handing cash, and waiting for change is slower.

Apple Pay and using your phone where it’s accepted is lightening fast. The credit card info is stored on your phone, just open the app, tap the phone on the payment system and you’re done.

And yes, it’s secure. Not accepted at Wal Mart for some reason, but almost everywhere else.

Yes, it’s secure. And yes I realize the demographics of the people here will not be using Apple Pay anytime soon :)
Kevin,
To fit in the checkout line better, bury your phone in the bottom of your purse and don't even think about using it till it's time to pay. Then you fumble around in there a bit, take time to tell one of your screaming rug rats not to jump out of the cart. Finally finding it, then discovering it doesn't work very well powered off. Trust me , some humans will find a way to screw up the simplest things, oblivious to the suffering they cause.
As I said " strangling them in my mind"...........

At an outdoor restaurant tonight and they have this sign posted.

PsTEaQOl.jpg
I’m not a business owner, but wouldn’t it make sense for this business to raise the price of some item by a quarter? It just seems like this sign might cause some customers to go somewhere else. But nobody would notice if the prices were just a couple cents higher. Or would they?

I’m not a business owner, but wouldn’t it make sense for this business to raise the price of some item by a quarter? It just seems like this sign might cause some customers to go somewhere else. But nobody would notice if the prices were just a couple cents higher. Or would they?
Raise them all about a dollar. if the food and service is good it won't matter to the regulars and new customers won't know the difference anyway.

Latest posts