Casual observations about change in society

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My wife is out of town, which is fine, but I find myself eating out more often, just lunch usually.

But the other day I was at the Panda Express and there was one other table in the restaurant, and a couple cars in the drive through. I thought it was a slow day for them.

Then as I was eating, I noticed a steady stream of delivery people coming in to pick up an order for delivery. No uniforms, just regular people.

There was a rack set up for them and the orders were all bagged up and ready to go.

About 1 delivery person per minute.

Then today I stopped at McDonalds for some coffee. They have two parking spots by the front door reserved for delivery people to run in real quick.

Sure enough, as I was there, someone came in and picked up an order.

Just another way our society is quietly changing…

RoundinCircles

Bearcat
I'm not sure if I think that delivery is good or bad. Since Covid, I've noticed a decline in customer service at fast food restaurants. Service is slower than it was and the workers more rude than before. I wouldn't be surprised if future fast food places get built to only cater to drive through and delivery.

I agree with you on that. You know it isn’t just fast food that does delivery though.

In fact, I read someplace, that if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you also get a free Grub-Hub account. (Free deliveries.)

When we first moved to Texas we went to this one restaurant. They just had big long picnic tables, and everyone ate lunch together. People talked. Which was weird for us, since we had just moved from Jersey.

You don’t see those restaurants anymore with big communal tables. At least I haven’t seen any in a while.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
No such thing as food delivery here. Grouch Attack has spent most of the past 5 weeks either gone on HER post retirement vacation or in town taking care of her mother. I feed myself with what I find here since I only go to town when I'm working and getting paid for the trip.

I agree with you on that. You know it isn’t just fast food that does delivery though.

In fact, I read someplace, that if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you also get a free Grub-Hub account. (Free deliveries.)

When we first moved to Texas we went to this one restaurant. They just had big long picnic tables, and everyone ate lunch together. People talked. Which was weird for us, since we had just moved from Jersey.

You don’t see those restaurants anymore with big communal tables. At least I haven’t seen any in a while.
Well Kevin,
Ya probably need to get out of Dallas and go to the small country joints. Son now lives East of Rhome TX, and we go to Justin and Decatur which still have country restaurants and shared tables. The BBQ Joint in our closest town of Fulshear is the same. I think in the past most old time BBQ joints and ice houses had picnic tables. Cheap easy seating.
I do know for a fact if you sit at them long enough while drinking lots of beer. You will get a bad case of picnic table elbow, which is much worse than tennis elbow :)