Cast Performance Load Data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Can anyone please give me some load data for the following Cast Performance Bullet? I will be using this load in my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum 4.62" barrel revolver and would prefer only those loads that shouldn't lead my barrel.

Revolver: Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum
Bullet Cal.: .430
Bullet: Cast Performance 255 gr WFNPB
Powders on hand: Universal, W231, Power Pistol, 2400, H110
Primer: WLP

I would appreciate any and all information provided. I have been trying to contact Cast Performance for the past two weeks with no luck. I emailed them and called them. No reply to my email and when I call all I can get is their answering machine.
Thanks folks,
hs

dougader

Hunter
I'd look through Lyman and Hornady manuals and see if there's any data you can start with.

231, Universal for lighter to medium loads
Power Pistol for medium to med heavy loads
2400, H110 for med heavy to heavy loads.

Hornady has a 265 JFP, which is heavier but should be ok for starting loads and then work up carefully from there.

Speer 14 and Lyman have cast bullets running around 250 grains.... start low, work up slow.

CP used to put a small slip of paper in the box of bullets. IMO/IME they were a bit conservative with their load data anyway.

So it depends on what kind of loads you're wanting to make. I wouldn't be using relatively expensive CP bullets for plinking, but maybe that's just me. I'd go with med heavy to heavy loads with PP, 2400 and/or H110.

I have the same bullets, bought from a member on this forum. But I bought mine for 44 Special. I aim to use 2400 in my loads, starting at about 14 grains and working up to about 16 grains... You could start where I stop and be safe.

Review this a little, page 42:

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian%20Pearce%20on%20the%2044%20Special.pdf

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
You are going to have to work through the leading issue.
This is dependent on your firearm dimensions in the cylinder and barrel in relation to the cast bullet diameter, the bullets hardness or softness relative to the velocity of the bullet and it's ability to obturate preventing gas blow by. And probably a few other things that I've not digested yet.
If everything is perfect with all of the above you will not experience leading.

Lymans 4th Edition lists their 255gr #429244 using:

2400 from 18.2gr (915fps) to 22.2gr (1165fps) with a large pistol primer.

H110 from 21.8gr (1097fps) to 22.8gr (1186fps with a magnum large pistol primer.

Test barrel was a 4" Universal Receiver

ph_redhawk

Bearcat
I suspect you may have to go to a fatter bullet to prevent leading.

Measure your cylinder throats and slug your barrel.

You want a close bullet fit to the cylinder throats. Some say 0.0005" smaller, some say as much as 0.001" larger. I go with a snug fit, i.e. able to push them through the throats with a dowel but they do not fall through. This gives me good accuracy and no leading in my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.

mikld

Blackhawk
The best place to find load data for lead bullets is Lyman's Reloading Handbook, or Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Reloading without a reloading manual (or 3) makes no sense at all. (I only use published data, none from any forum).

For clean shooting, you'll have to know your gun. Bullets should be the same diameter as the cylinder throats (which 99% of the time will be larger than the groove diameter.). You can slug the cylinders the same as slugging a barrel, and measure with micrometers. Measure the diameter of your bullets (my Ruger has cylinder throats of .431" and I size all my bullets to .431"). Anything else is just a WAG...

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
THANKS to all of you for sharing that information. I have been loading jacketed bullets (on and off) for close to 15 years but recently have wanted to try lead bullets. I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice! You have helped a lot!!
hs