cast or jacketed handgun bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
What is the best for Deer 100 lbs. and less? Jacketed or cast which is better? I use a 45 LC.

Zacharoo

zacharoo

Bearcat
Here in Louisiana 125lbs. is abig deer. That is here in the marsh sections. In the basin the are bigger but in the marsh much smaller!!!

Zacharoo

tek4260

Buckeye
In my limited experience, cast WFN's do much better than Jacketed. There probably isn't enough difference to worry about though on a 100lb deer.

gmaske

Bearcat
My son inlaw swears by Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullets. He has taken sereral large deer and an Elk. None took more than three steps before dropping like a rock. He took the Elk at nearly 400 yards with a 30-06.

Cholo

Staff member
zacharoo, I thought you were talking about handgun bullets, though you weren't clear. If so on smaller deer I'd go with a jacked hollow point.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I like the jacketed HP bullets mostly. I like and have taken a number of blacktail deer and a large black bear with the 200gr HP Nosler bullet in my 44mag in front of a max load of H-110 and a mag primer.
The Barnes PISTOL(yes they make them) bullets are excellent but alittle high priced for much shooting. They open well and penatrate very well. I use the ones with the large HP and use the 200gr ones in my 44mag. I use the 250gr ones in my 454casull. I have taken several mule deer with them.
"I personally" prefer these to cast bullets for my hunting.

contender

Ruger Guru
In handgun it's very hard to beat a good quality cast Keith design SWC. I have just this past few days watched how good they work on elk. I've seen 700 lb elk dropped with one shot from a 41 mag & a 45 Colt in handguns at ranges from 75 yds to about 120 yds. One shot kills.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
contender":x1rvsrk0 said:
In handgun it's very hard to beat a good quality cast Keith design SWC. I have just this past few days watched how good they work on elk. I've seen 700 lb elk dropped with one shot from a 41 mag & a 45 Colt in handguns at ranges from 75 yds to about 120 yds. One shot kills.

Darn it, why do you get to have so much fun?
:) Sonnytoo

COR

Blackhawk
pistoleer44":1dutfdfr said:
I like cast, but I learned my lesson, several years ago. I shot a Bambi like that with a FN and there wasn't enuf left to clean. Cost me 40$

:cry:

I am very confused by this...please explain

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
Cast will work best in almost all pistols from .357 mag thru 45 LC travelling less than 1600fps. After 1600, I'd be looking at the jacketed. That being said, a 45LC 250gr. (or more) cast boolit going about 1100 out of a Ruger is tough to beat!

pistoleer44

Single-Sixer
COR":3gqy5vpr said:
pistoleer44":3gqy5vpr said:
I like cast, but I learned my lesson, several years ago. I shot a Bambi like that with a FN and there wasn't enuf left to clean. Cost me 40$

That was the penalty for shooting a undersize deer at the area where I hunt. Either $40 cash or 5 Bags of deer corn.

5 pt rack but weighed only about 120lbs.

DGW1949

Hunter
pistoleer44":1npyt3ni said:
COR":1npyt3ni said:
pistoleer44":1npyt3ni said:

That was the penalty for shooting a undersize deer at the area where I hunt. Either $40 cash or 5 Bags of deer corn.

5 pt rack but weighed only about 120lbs.

Around here, deer that size are known as woods-goats. :lol: .
I've shot my share of 'em though....and actualy prefer them to the bigger ones. They might be small, but they sure do eat good !

DGW

45acp230

Bearcat
DGW - +1 on that!! Does and spikes are better on the table. Save the big boys for the wall,if you can afford to put him up there!! My limited experience with a cast .45 Colt bullet is that at 1000-1100 fps it will kill anything that walks in Virginia. As with almost any hunting,bullet placement is KEY, not so much what you hit him with. Exceptions for dangerous game, of course. Hank.

nn

Single-Sixer
zacharoo":1dj166ao said:
Here in Louisiana 125lbs. is abig deer. That is here in the marsh sections. In the basin the are bigger but in the marsh much smaller!!!

Zacharoo
I believe it, 100 lbs is a big deer here, also, in the swamps and deep woods.