cast bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Howdy all! On another thread folks were expressing a dislike for bevel base bullets. What makers offer correct cast bullets without the bevel?

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
For handgun bullets, I personally like Cast Performance out of Riverton, WY and Leadheads out of Topeka KS. All of the Cast Performance handgun bullets I use are gas checked. I'm not sure if they build plain based bullets or not, but they're sure not bevel based. :)

pps

Single-Sixer
Why not try some Hornady swagged bullets, don't push them to hard and see what you get in terms of accuracy and leading.

dougader

Hunter
Beartooth Bullets in Idaho has some good bullets, too. But be prepared to wait awhile for your order. I like Missouri Bullets and Tennessee Bullets, too.

Bevel base bullets are good only for ease of seating; you don't have to bell the case as much to get the bullet started in the case. Which is fine for shooting USPSA up close and fast. But generally a regular plain base bullet, or a gas checked bullet is more accurate than the bevel base bullet.

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
pps":2n6ol1oh said:
Why not try some Hornady swagged bullets, don't push them to hard and see what you get in terms of accuracy and leading.

I agree. In my handguns I only use cast bullets from Cast Performance or Leadheads for fire-breathing loads. Most of my handgun shooting is done with swagged lead bullets. I usually use Speer swagged lead bullets because Speer's are more available around these parts. But I have used Hornady's on occation. Either brand works great for mild to mid-range loads. And as a matter of fact, my wife's daily carry gun is a .38 snubby loaded with Speer swagged lead, 158-grain SWC-HPs over +P charges of Power Pistol. Gosh, I hope that statement didn't put me in the middle of the "factory or handloads for self-defense" argument.
At any rate, those swagged lead bullets from either Hornady or Speer cover 90% of the chores I use a handgun for. But if a person really wants to use cast bullets in their handguns, here's where they can find two fine brands without beveled (ugh) bases:
www.castperformance.com/
www.proshootpro.com/

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I buy mine from Montana Bullet Works. They will size them as you specify, offer two hardnesses on some, are quick to ship and very fairly priced given the quality. And they ship bulk flat rate too so shipping is cheap.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I use the Moyer's bevel-base except for hunting. I have heard the bevel-base design results in more leading, but I have not seen this to be true. I have also heard that velocity will be lower with bevel-base, but the 240gr Moyer's bevel-base shoots 25 fps faster than the 253gr Leadheads, 820 vs 796 fps, which might be attributed to lighter weight. They both seem to seat the same depth into the case.
Although I haven't chrono'd enough to be certain, having a small sample, it appears (with .44 Special, HS-6) that the flatbase Leadheads is much more stable in velocity.
The flat-base Leadhead (0.80" OAL) also seats further out of the case than the Moyer (OAL=0.725), which generally should be more accurate as the Leadhead nose enters the barrel throat much sooner with less of a jump between cylinder and barrel.
Of course, I have found the bevel-base to be one heck of a lot cheaper than standard flat-base. I think you can confirm this with a quick look at some of the companies websites listed above.
Where do you shoot, Fatman, over in Daytona at the NRA range?
Sonnytoo

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
Does anyone use Dardas Cast Bullets. They seem reasonably priced. I pay roughly $60-$75/1000rds of 9mm depending on what's in stock at the local reloading shop. Dardas has them for $46.

What do ya'll normally pay?