Cast Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I have been buying my bullets through Midway. Prices seem good but shipping seems a bit harsh and I am getting a little tired of counting how many bullets remain in the broken boxes. Does anyone know of a better source for lead bullets in 45/44/38?

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
Midway has made good by shipping some extra product. And I am probably up some overall. One box arrived with I think 460 out of 500 and they sent me another 50. But it was a hassel trying to get the foam packing separated from the bullets. I bet I have had 5 different shipments arrive with damaged components or lost product due to the packaging.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Revolver-Time":ulibh96r said:
I have been buying my bullets through Midway. Prices seem good but shipping seems a bit harsh and I am getting a little tired of counting how many bullets remain in the broken boxes. Does anyone know of a better source for lead bullets in 45/44/38?

Click here:

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|281|299

and poke around.

Widener's has cast bullets that ship in USPS flat rate boxes:

hcbbulk.jpg

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Most bullets I have gotten from Midway have bee undercount. But, they always send me more to cover the undercount.

Most of the small lead bullet manufactures in my experience have been a few over.

gmaske

Bearcat
If you can find a friendly tire store buy yourself a set of Lee molds and a lead furnace and make your own! Streight wheel weight bullets are good for I think it's a 1000 ft per second and under. Use Lees tumble lube and you'll have no problems.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
gmaske":3tad7ha7 said:
If you can find a friendly tire store buy yourself a set of Lee molds and a lead furnace and make your own! Streight wheel weight bullets are good for I think it's a 1000 ft per second and under. Use Lees tumble lube and you'll have no problems.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cast many a bullet with a double cavity mold, a Lee bottom discharge furnance and some lube. But that has been about 30 years ago. I just don't think I want to do that anymore.

gmaske

Bearcat
Ya must have bumped up your pay grade a bit over time. :wink: I enjoy casting them once I either get low or get around to it. Usually it's low! :roll:

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
I like MO bullets. Good prices.
Lately I've been using grand master bullets-good prices and I like their 105/125 gr .357 bullets.
http://www.grandmasterbullets.com/hard_cast.html
Good prices and fast shipping.

I've casted in the past but until the prices creep up more, its worth the money, saves time to just buy in bulk. (usually), I've noticed 45 230 gr hardball seems a little higher..Between the casting, sizing and what not, I'll fork the $ over for now.

sixshot

Buckeye
Now more than ever you really need to cast your own, just think about it, you will have an endless suppy at all times, you can make them the hardness you desire, depending on the velocity you have in mind, you can make them any diameter you choose (very important) & it doesn't take a lot to get started.
Here's what I did back in the sixties while in the military. I used a 4lb Lyman pot on the kitchen stove, casting with a single cavity #358429 mould, sized them in a used Lyman sizer & shot a semi load of Texas squirrels, frogs, turtles, armidillos, possums, coons & snakes, and a whole lot of dirt clods in between. Having to pay the high cost of good cast slugs & shipping on top does't save a lot over jacketed. You can scrounge range lead for mid range loads, lead, linotype & wheelweights are still out there if you're willing do get off the couch & do a little looking, times wasting, a year or two from now you might be very sorry you didn't get started. Things are changing fast, if you want quality cast slugs at a cheap price make your own. I've struck out at a lot of garage sales but I"ve hit a bunch of home runs too! Don't see any casting equipment.....ASK!

Dick

Go to a Cowboy shoot around you or look up a club name/member. They will know where to get leads and cheaper than anywhere else.
Probably someone in the club sells stuff.
I can buy PRIMERS powder and bullets from cowboy members at THE right price just about anytime :D :D :D
Jim

flhr62

Single-Sixer
I agree with sixshot, except I would spend just a little more money and get a 10 pound pot, and atleast double cavity moulds. A 4 pound pot may turn you against casting from the start. With heavier bullets you empty a 4 pounder pretty quick, then you have to wait aboout 20 minutes for your next batch of lead to melt. I think people are intimidated by bullet casting for some reason. If you can reload you can definitly cast bullets. I like the casting as much as I do the reloading

volshooter

Buckeye
We have a Ruger member named JESSIE who produces the finest, most accurate, fastest, and hardest cast bullets in the south at very reasonable prices. I still have about 50 pounds of his extra hard cast WFP.
Tennessee Valley Bullets.

Once you go Jessie, you never look back. His bullest leave two leaking holes even if you have to shoot your deer behind a freezer and a 4x4.