Cast bullets in my .30 carbine BH.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I found a box of115 gr. RNFP cast .32 bullets that I bought to shoot in my .32-20's.
They mic at .312 and leaded my rifles badly. I almost melted them down to recast into something else.
I ran a couple of them through my .309" Lee push through sizing die and loaded them into .30 carbine cases over13 and 13.5 gr. IMR 4227 and fired them. They shoot great and ZERO leading.
Next I measured the space left under a seated bullet and found it will hold 4.5 gr.
of Trail Boss powder. I loaded 25 rounds with the 115 gr. Bullet sized to .309" over
4.1 gr Trail Boss primed with Federal SR primers and seated to just cover the front driving band.
I fired all 25 at a target at 30' rested and discovered a one ragged hole group of about 1 1/4". I was not trying to do my best group shooting but rather just having fun. I did jerk one out of the group an inch left,I called that one!
These loads are very accurate,ZERO leading and about like shooting a .22 mag.
I am glad I didn't melt them down !!!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've got some at .313 and .314; been running them thru my Lee .311" and shooting in my .32-20 pistols with min. to no leading.... Lee sizers do save us some time and aggravation. Glad it worked out for you; it's those 'little victories' isn't it.....
J

Mus408

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
I found a box of115 gr. RNFP cast .32 bullets that I bought to shoot in my .32-20's.
They mic at .312 and leaded my rifles badly. I almost melted them down to recast into something else.
I ran a couple of them through my .309" Lee push through sizing die and loaded them into .30 carbine cases over13 and 13.5 gr. IMR 4227 and fired them. They shoot great and ZERO leading.
Next I measured the space left under a seated bullet and found it will hold 4.5 gr.
of Trail Boss powder. I loaded 25 rounds with the 115 gr. Bullet sized to .309" over
4.1 gr Trail Boss primed with Federal SR primers and seated to just cover the front driving band.
I fired all 25 at a target at 30' rested and discovered a one ragged hole group of about 1 1/4". I was not trying to do my best group shooting but rather just having fun. I did jerk one out of the group an inch left,I called that one!

I bet they were a bit quieter to shoot too with the Trail Boss!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Mus408 said:
Chuck 100 yd said:

I bet they were a bit quieter to shoot too with the Trail Boss!

Yes , basically a cowboy load. They would be great small game loads.
Next time out I will chronograph them. I'm guessing they are in the 700's.
4.5 gr would be a max load with no compression. Hodgdon says not to compress Trail Boss.

Latest posts