Cast bullet manuals

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I'm looking for members opinions on which manual is the best in terms of load data for loading cast bullets. I've looked at Lyman's 4th & it's not bad but I thought I read somewhere that the 3rd was way better. Is it & if so what makes it better? More data?

Passtime

Bearcat
Good question. I am also interested in an answer. I have been loading 45 auto 230 gr. LRN for a while and there is plenty of data on them. I was thinking about tying some 230gr. LTC bullets and the load data pickings are slim to none. Last night I was contemplating picking up a Lyman's 4th edition but I need load data not castings instruction and it seems to be geared more to the latter. I saw a 3rd edition for thirteen bucks if it has more load data I would pick it up pronto. Hopefully someone will chime in with some info.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I'm interested in finding loads for 44mag & 45colt using heavy cast bullets (300gr to 360gr) with powders beside H110 & 2400. Plus I just like reference books.

Passtime

Bearcat
Sorry I can't help you with that. My experience is limited to .45, 9mm and 38 special. I have a few reloading manuals but none cover the LTC bullet. Looked all over the internet just to get an idea of where to start. I have a pretty good idea but would like to see something written on paper from a reputable source...lol.

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
Passtime said:
Good question. I am also interested in an answer. I have been loading 45 auto 230 gr. LRN for a while and there is plenty of data on them. I was thinking about tying some 230gr. LTC bullets and the load data pickings are slim to none. Last night I was contemplating picking up a Lyman's 4th edition but I need load data not castings instruction and it seems to be geared more to the latter. I saw a 3rd edition for thirteen bucks if it has more load data I would pick it up pronto. Hopefully someone will chime in with some info.
I've never had an issue using reload data from the same weight of bullet in different designs.

You are reloading 230gr LRN and you want to try 230gr LTC, and you can't find specific data, start at the minimum load for the LRN and work your way up.

The main concern will be your OAL. I switched from 230gr LRN to a SWC for while since I couldn't get any round nose. On a semi-automatic I remove the barrel and drop a round in to make sure it is seating correctly and made adjustments as needed.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a lot of manuals,,, and I still find the need to do some internet research due to various lead bullet designs & weight. I suggest you buy more than one & study them all.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have quite a few manuals but it seems like they all stop at the 300gr mark.
About the only one that doesn't is Hodgdon's magazine manual. But that mostly only lists they're powders.
So my question is does Lyman's 3rd. have more data for heavier bullets then they're 4th.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Two suggestions...

The "One Book/One Caliber" series contain a lot of recipes. For instance the 44 mag edition I'm looking at as I type contains "2,154 Proven & Tested Loads, 63 Various Bullet Designs, 52 Different Powders"...I have several of them that I got from GB as I recall. They aren't expensive however the data is somewhat "dated". Don't know if new editions are updated... :?

"Modern Reloading" Second Edition by Richard Lee. Lots of data with the newer propellants and a good read on handloading in general, especially cast bullets... 8)

My two centavos... :wink:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Thanks Bucks
I've been kicking thinking about buying those one caliber manuals for awhile now.
I might just order some today.
Now does that Lee manual have loads for 300grs. & up?

Passtime

Bearcat
AGE Ranger said:
I've never had an issue using reload data from the same weight of bullet in different designs.

You are reloading 230gr LRN and you want to try 230gr LTC, and you can't find specific data, start at the minimum load for the LRN and work your way up.

The main concern will be your OAL. I switched from 230gr LRN to a SWC for while since I couldn't get any round nose. On a semi-automatic I remove the barrel and drop a round in to make sure it is seating correctly and made adjustments as needed.

Exactly, the COL was/is my major concern and yes the plop test is a good test to see if it will chamber in my firearms. I am just concerned about pressure issues. I did some calculating and came up with a starting COL of (1.220). As far as the powder charge, I will go with the listed minimum / starting amount for the 230 gr. LRN that is listed in my manual for the IMR 4756 powder I am using. I would still like to see something written on paper from a reputable source though. Thanks for your input.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
SweetWilliam said:
Thanks Bucks
I've been kicking thinking about buying those one caliber manuals for awhile now.
I might just order some today.
Now does that Lee manual have loads for 300grs. & up?

In 44 mag the Lee book lists loads for 310, 320, 325, 330 and 355 gr lead bullets.

In 45 Ruger, 325, 335 and 360 gr lead... :wink:

jsh

Single-Sixer
I won't go into what I do, but will say a chronograph is involved on some projects.
As to your wants on a "cast bullet" load manual an wanting oal suggestions. Nothing is written in stone. For instance I have several different molds with the same number on them. There are some that have subtle differences and some that almost look completely different. IMHO it is more of a style than a definate design, styles change. Lyman seems to be more well known for this than most mold makers. Keep the same number and make a change with no comment to speak of in their load books.
So as suggested use your barrel on your auto for a case gauge.
Jeff

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Hey now that I think about it, I have a Lee manual. Lol
But I did order some complete reloading manuals & Lyman's popular revolver calibers yesterday.

Flash

Buckeye
I've found the original (1958) to be a nice reference for some of the old discontinued molds. There is a fold out chart in the back that shows the bullets in the cast form and each corresponding cartridge. Kind of like a bullet board and it's a nice feature. The third edition gives me everything else i'm looking for. I have Lyman manuals dating back to #35 (1948) so nothing being printed today on cast bullet loads really interests me. Selecting powders isn't rocket science if I stay within a reasonable group that parallel each other.

Latest posts