Cast bullet lube

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I'm thinking of switching from Lyman Super Moly to LBT's "blue". No particular reason, I'm happy enough with SM, I guess I just like Veral's sales pitch! :lol:
I've tried going from SM to a carnuba "brew", have gone back to SM but bought some LBT on a whim...
Any comments from actual users?

To quote:

LBT HIGH PERFORMANCE BULLET LUBRICANTS
All three hardness's have the same performance characteristics, which are unequaled by any other lubricant. Due to superior control of friction, which is the cause of leading, LBT lubricants produce less pressure than any other cast bullet lubricant, accompanied by higher velocity. Rifles can be loaded to 3,000 fps without bore leading. Magnum handguns absolutely will not lead with gas checked bullets, and fdPB can be loaded to 1800 fps without leading in cool weather. At high atmospheric temperatures, which are the worst conditions for shooting lead, 1400 fps. Typically, handguns will produce 300 fps more speed than with jacketed of equal weight, if one of our LBT bullet designs is used. This in handguns only. Rifles tend to give very close to jacketed speeds with equal bullet weights and powder charges. – One of the most attractive properties of LBT lubricants which no other can offer is: If you lead your bore from a crazy load or getting the gun too hot, etc. Let it cool down or go back to a load that doesn't lead and shoot 2 or 3 if gas checked, 5 or so if plain base, and the lead is gone. If you're leaded up from some other lubricant, LBT with gas checked bullets will clean it out far quicker than shooting jacketed, but not with plainbase. Lead actually solders to the bore with other lubes. With LBT lubes, IF you can make it lead, it's so loose that lead will wipe it clean!. We recommend never cleaning the bore when LBT lubes are used. Look down the bore and if there is lead, shoot it out, if not, DON'T CLEAN IT!

Very few people who have tried our lubricants will use anything else.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, Bucks

No direct experience, but I've read good things about LBT lubes for several years, and Veral HAS been at this for quite a while!

Sounds like a worthwhile investment just to try and learn...

A buddy is retiring next week, and he should have a new RCBS Lube-A-Matic sitting on his doorstep by now to help him celebrate that fact. I'll suggest he add some LBT blue to his next order and see if we can get him to report back...

Rick C

callshot

Blackhawk
That is what I use. I did need to get a heater for the lube/sizer to use it in the winter or colder times. I understand that it will NOT melt out of the cartridge in warmer temps. I have not had any leading or problems at all. Well, the only problem I have is I need to get some more ordered. Steve

Bucks Owin

Hunter
callshot said:
That is what I use. I did need to get a heater for the lube/sizer to use it in the winter or colder times. I understand that it will NOT melt out of the cartridge in warmer temps. I have not had any leading or problems at all. Well, the only problem I have is I need to get some more ordered. Steve

Heater is not a problem, have one under my ol' 450. I do send bullets to a few friends now and then and I would like the lube to still be in the grooves upon arrival after the PO is finished going "postal" with the heavy flat rate box! :lol:

(Hint: Do NOT spare the strapping tape when flat rate shipping bullets!)

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
I don't have any experiance with LBT. I started out using the Lee Liquid Alox & tumble lube bullets. I ran into leading problems with store bought lead bullets & used the LLA on them. The leading stopped but I didn't like the mess associated using the LLA so I started hanging out over at www.castboolits.gunloads.com and learned a lot about casting. I started casting my own & I bought a couple lube/sizers from members over there, a Lyman 450 & 45. I like the lube/sizer better then the LLA although the 45/45/10 is a lot better than just the liquid alox. I've been using Commercial Red and BAC from http://www.lsstuff.com/lube and have been very satisfied. I shoot cast bullets in 30/30, 06, 308, 45/70, 32mag, 327 fed mag, 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, 44mag, 45acp, & 45colt. Using the commercial red lube I have had none to a very light wash of leading. I'm very pleased with the results so I haven't looked at other lubes. I've been wanting to make my own Felix Lube and have all the ingrediants but haven't got around to it yet. Besides for the price of White Labels lubes I'll probably just keep using what works.

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
Johnson's Paste Wax is all I ever use...

p1190483reg.jpg

bigboredad

Blackhawk
hey Bucks did you try any of lars stuff? If you did I would really like to hear if their is any difference besides the price.

COR

Blackhawk
I switched to LBT Blue Soft (from RCBS) and have not looked back...I also use it as a "tumble lube" for my Ranch Dog moulds. I'm convinced.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
bigboredad said:
hey Bucks did you try any of lars stuff? If you did I would really like to hear if their is any difference besides the price.

Yes, I "think " it was lars, the "red carnuba" stuff at any rate and think there is much witchcraft involved in all the different "brews" being pitched these days. ("Snakelube" salesmen"? lol)
I switched back to Super Moly and like it fine, albeit it's a little "messy". I just want to try LBT and see how the advice of "don't clean, shoot" stands up...
Besides, it's "pretty".... :lol:

I don't think "Pastewax" is gonna do it for speedy 30K CUP type loads...But maybe I'm wrong....

sixshot

Buckeye
I've been shooting LBT lube for many years & its works great, my competition guns get thousands of rounds down the barrel & I never clean one...I do clean my cylinder but not the barrel. It costs more than other lubes but I like it.
I've also used a fair amount of LARS lube & it seems to be very good stuff also, plus he's only an hour away.

Dick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
sixshot said:
I've been shooting LBT lube for many years & its works great, my competition guns get thousands of rounds down the barrel & I never clean one...I do clean my cylinder but not the barrel. It costs more than other lubes but I like it.

Dick

Much obliged Dick, that's a good endorsement... :wink:

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I use Carnauba Red from Lars on the CB board. Great stuff in light and heavy handgun loads and rifle loads, which I only load to about 1600 fps or so.