Case trimmer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJ556

Buckeye
I am in the market for a power case trimmer. I have an RCBS manual case trimmer now, but I want something that is not so time consuming to do a lot of case trimming. I am somewhat familiar with what is out there, but I would like to hear from owners of RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and other power trimmers to see what you think of these trimmers. Thanks, RJ

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Can you hook up a power drill to the RCBS? I seem to remember seeing this done somewhere. I thought RCBS's "powered" setup consisted of a separate motor housing that connected up to the trimmer.

-- Sam

RJ556

Buckeye
Sam, I could buy an adapter to use a drill but mine is the old one that uses the collets to hold the case. fixing the shell in the collet is the most time consuming part of using my case trimmer. I figured that if I am going to get one that uses a faster method of inserting the case, that I might as well get a motorized version. But, which one? There are quite a few choices. Folks that have actually used them can tell what they do and don't like about them. Thanks for the suggestion. RJ

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a Lyman that uses a universal chuck for the cases,, (vs collets.) It was originally a hand cranked trimmer. They offered a drill adaptor shaft, I bought one,, and I've never looked back. I love it.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Here is a link to Sinclair's list of available trimmers, they are now part
of Brownells and very good to do business with as is Brownells as well.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_detail ... e-Trimmers

I'm not sure which of these aside from the RCBS ones are or can be
powered but you can request their catalog be sent to you and it will
indicate what is what. And here is Midway's list of powered case
trimmers to further muddy the waters of your search. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... ***8935***

RJ556

Buckeye
Thanks for the input guys. I made a power adapter (better than RCBS's power adapter) for my RCBS trimmer with the collets and it really speeds up the trimming. So, I decided to buy a new RCBS manual trimmer with the lever actuated chell holder (much faster than the collet system) and use my power adapter on it.