Carved Bone Tanto Dagger...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Interesting. I guess the chrysanthemum would indicate Japanese origin.
For you and Wayno;

Yes, however dating it to a specific era (Emperor) could be difficult, since the flower was adopted very early in Imperial Japan (around 1180). I doubt this blade is that old however, likely produced in the 1800's to 1930 or so. That would be Emperor Showa (Hirohito) or his father, grandfather, etc. Here's the list of Emperors from that period and earlier. As you can see, it quickly gets very complicated to accurately date, etc. Japanese blades. Even the experts are often stumped.

If the hilt can be taken off, there would likely be some kanji (characters), stamped or engraved on the steel which would help identify the maker and era.

I recently spend some considerable time researching the Katana I have, and had help from several people. But was only able to tentatively date it to the late 1930's.

Good luck with this, it's a fine looking knife. :)

For you and Wayno;

Yes, however dating it to a specific era (Emperor) could be difficult, since the flower was adopted very early in Imperial Japan (around 1180). I doubt this blade is that old however, likely produced in the 1800's to 1930 or so. That would be Emperor Showa (Hirohito) or his father, grandfather, etc. Here's the list of Emperors from that period and earlier. As you can see, it quickly gets very complicated to accurately date, etc. Japanese blades. Even the experts are often stumped.

If the hilt can be taken off, there would likely be some kanji (characters), stamped or engraved on the steel which would help identify the maker and era.

I recently spend some considerable time researching the Katana I have, and had help from several people. But was only able to tentatively date it to the late 1930's.

Good luck with this, it's a fine looking knife. :)
Thank you very much.

I figured it's a worthwhile piece, just because the person who owned it only collected worthwhile pieces.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thank you very much.

I figured it's a worthwhile piece, just because the person who owned it only collected worthwhile pieces.

I'd advise searching out an expert to get an opinion/appraisal. It could be quite valuable. Be careful about this, however, since you don't want to get tangled up with US State Dept. or Japanese Embassies. If it is of historical value the Japanese have an agreement with the US that could end up with it being confiscated and returned to Japan.

Here's a link that was of great help to me I'm oldmarine on this forum, but not active.

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thank you very much.

You got me thinking about this. How long is the blade on the knife? If it's over 12" it may be a Ko-Wakizashi (short sword), rather than a tanto.

Also I added a link in my previous that may help.