Care of Zytel Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
I know asking how to care for what should be a damned tough stock sounds like an oxymoron, but it's an honest question. I just picked up a 1991 vintage 22 Magnum 77/22 that is in great shape, but the stock has dulled. Is there anything in particular that will improve the looks, or conversely anything in particular I should avoid? I'm a little tempted to put some AmorAll on it but I'm afraid I won't be able to hold onto it afterwards.

Also- was there a certain timeframe when Ruger used the green inserts on these?

bub

Single-Sixer
Trey, while I don't have a Ruger rifle with the Zytel stock, I'll tell you what Glock said about their frames when they start looking a little dull or the mags started hanging up and not ejecting cleanly. They suggested wiping down with ArmorAll, letting it sit a few minutes, then wiping off. I always found ArmorAll to leave a slick, greasy-feeling residue, so I use New Vinyl on my Glock frames. Works VERY well and, so far anyway, no greasy residue like with ArmorAll. I've also used it for the poly stock on my South African FN/FAL, also with good results. Try it out in a small area inside the stock inletting and see how it works before trying on the outside, though, just to be safe. Good luck.

Bub

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
bub":b7ytqtou said:
They suggested wiping down with ArmorAll, letting it sit a few minutes, then wiping off. I always found ArmorAll to leave a slick, greasy-feeling residue, so I use New Vinyl on my Glock frames.

Hi,

Dunno about the New Vinyl product, but ArmorAll's water based, so if it's still a bit "slick" after the first wipe down, you can wipe it down a second time (before it's too dry) w/ a damp cloth which will remove most, if not all, of the "slick" feeling.

Rick C

bub

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright":2genqv9e said:
bub":2genqv9e said:
They suggested wiping down with ArmorAll, letting it sit a few minutes, then wiping off. I always found ArmorAll to leave a slick, greasy-feeling residue, so I use New Vinyl on my Glock frames.

Hi,

Dunno about the New Vinyl product, but ArmorAll's water based, so if it's still a bit "slick" after the first wipe down, you can wipe it down a second time (before it's too dry) w/ a damp cloth which will remove most, if not all, of the "slick" feeling.

Rick C

Rick, I did not now that. I always figured that it was oil or alcohol based. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Bub

LarryH

Single-Sixer
Just happened across this thread. I have the "Boat paddle stock" M77 in .30-06 and the Armor-All works great. Small amount, rubbed in real good and then rubbed again when dry and the slickness is gone. I've had mine out in the rain in Washington and in the Desert in Kommifornia many times and it looks fine. By the way, I have owned and shot many Rugers and find that this Skeleton stock is the worst kicker I've ever had! My .338 #1 pales in comparison!!