Can't take down my Super Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redhawk44

Bearcat
Hello! A couple months ago I purchased a beautiful new Super Redhawk in 44 Mag. Intending on hunting with it next year I am trying to get in a lot of practice, I have nearly 500 rounds through it now. Around this round count on a new gun I like to do a little more thorough cleaning and inspection, the problem is I can't get the trigger group to depart from the frame for some reason.

I've owned several revolvers and am familiar with take-down, cleaning, and inspection - Including gp100/redhawks. However, I cannot push the pin that holds the trigger group to the frame on this gun. I even tried using a screwdriver as a lever from the top down but I feared snapping it as the pin wouldn't budge.

I noticed the trigger group and the frame do not align perfectly, I cannot remember if I noticed this on other guns and have no idea if this is normal... I was only able to find one small picture online of a 'normal' looking gun: http://americanhandgunner.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/six_hr31.jpg and I don't see any overlap. Also it appears the trigger group is not completely flush with the frame.

The gun shoots fine so I am not sure if I should contact Ruger yet, but if anyone has any experience on the matter I would appreciate any advice. Please a picture below. Thanks!

aFFDiv4.jpg

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't worry about the cosmetics but if there's an issue with fitment I'd contact Ruger.

5of7

Hunter
If it was mine, I would try some penetrating oil applied to the take-down pin, let it set for a couple of hours and try it again.

I use a Phillips screwdriver to depress the pin on mine. If that doesn't help, then I would contact Ruger. 8)

5of7 said:
If it was mine, I would try some penetrating oil applied to the take-down pin, let it set for a couple of hours and try it again....

That's what I did to mine, the first time I tried to depress the pin it was really stuck, some penetrating oil was enough to break the friction but the spring under the pin on my Super Redhawk is way stiffer than the one in my Security Six.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Afraid I can't offer any help , just prior experience. My son bought a Redhawk , one of the special editions ....after firing it several times , there was metel shavings and chips falling out from the trigger guard. He attempted to get it apart to do some major cleaning ....wouldn't come apart. ( BTW , I have several GPs along with a Redhawk , a SP , and had a couple Supers at one time ) He ended up contacting Ruger , sent it back , got it back several weeks later ........Fixed. Comes apart like it should.

regards , brushunter

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

As mentioned above,,, a little oil, as well as the use of a pin punch, (not any tool that will not mate to the latch pin,) is recommended. Yes, they can be a little tight, and often especially if new & not used a bit. The alignment you show isn't unusual. That's not the problem.
Try the above methods, and if that doesn't work,,, then contact Ruger.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Check out the Ruger 'popper' thread and tool.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75884

Once you get it apart you may want to clean up the latch a little with a file or stone so it opens and closes easier. Don't forget the oil. To close the trigger group it sometimes takes a rap with a rubber mallet. :D

Flash

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag said:
Check out the Ruger 'popper' thread and tool.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75884

Once you get it apart you may want to clean up the latch a little with a file or stone so it opens and closes easier. Don't forget the oil. To close the trigger group it sometimes takes a rap with a rubber mallet. :D

They work like a charm