Can't get the GP100 Hammer back in!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP100man

Buckeye
the pressure from the hammer strut will engage the sa sear & hold the hammer back.
the pin is held in by the grips.
only 3 screws on the gp , grip , sight windage adjustment & elavation adjustment screws.
bet you`ll never forget how the hammer goes now!!
glad all is well now!!
you need to try to hook the hammer link on a redhawk!!!

GP100man

drew76

Bearcat
Whoa there! You need a cool down. I once worked my hands raw trying to put a blackhawk back together for the first time. I was in the same boat as you. Absolutely infuriating! Walk away and take a break for a day or two. Your going to damage the gun or yourself otherwise. Go at it with a fresh mind and hands and some additional advice. I don't own a GP100 so sorry I can't help there. Rest assured you'll get it back together, but your not likely to figure it out in the state of mind you're in.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I'm cool now. I bailed on it for the night. I really wish Ruger had added that little caveat in the manual about the adjustable sights hindering the hammer from dropping in. Anyway, I'll try again to cock the hammer tomorrow. Something isn't engaging. I cock the hammer and the trigger goes back, but it doesn't lock back without the hammer strut. I put the hammer strut in, and it's no difference. Looks like it's seated right.

Only plus side to this whole debacle is I REALLY know how to take this thing apart now. Once I figure out how the strut sits in there, I'll be an expert. of course, my sights are now totally off since I've taken them off and onn several times now

GP100man

Buckeye
ok everythings in & the hammer won`t "cock" . will it work in DA , bet it don`t.

no sweat , the plunger ya push in to remove trigger group is the "other" end of the trigger spring & binding on it`s self, the plunger is not seating correctly .

to correct this cover the rear portion of trigger housing with a small peice of leather & give it a light whack seating housing & plunger.
next time the trigger group is out shine this area up & lube never hurt.
i have seen burrs that were peeled or cutting from factory in this area.

GP100man

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I though that might have been it. So the little "button" you push to get the trigger group out is not fully seated, and that is preventing me from installing the strut correctly? Yeah, it won't work in DA mode either. So I cover the bottom of the trigger guard and give it a light whack upwards, kind of pushing it further up than it already is, and that seats it?

It WAS a Rosie O'Donnell to get that thing out

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Hey! The forum automatically subsituted "Rosie O'Donnell" for b i t c h! That's funny! :D

GP100man

Buckeye
yep.
& theres probably a burr or summtin restricting fit of the plunger .
you only need .001s of an inch to get it seated enuff to allow operation .

this is very common to new GPs & will get better ,especially if ya shine it up a little & lube it , i use tetra lube in this area , a little smear then wipe it ,enuff is there without attracting grit & grime.

if ya really want to smooth a gp trigger here is where to do it ,
take the trigger group apart & take a drill bit end & lapping compound & SHINE UP THE THROAT that the plungers & spring is housed .

wanted to add :this step can be done with out disassembliy if very careful not to hit the trigger link & assembly is cleaned & flushed of lappin compound (flush from front to back) & done with trigger fully forward.

i dis assemble trigger group in a gal. zip loc bag to keep all the parts from taking low orbit!!!

if attempted keep up with where each plunger & spring from the hand & cyl lock go there different sizes.

i know your thinking about springs too , i`ve found the middle trigger & the 12# hammer to be 100% reliable in all MY GPs YMMV.

GP100man

GP100 man

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Yea! Finally got it done. The rear sight was preventing the hammer from seating correctly in the slot. Loosening it let me drop it right in. Then, I couldn't get the hammer to cock, but GP100 Man here told me to rap the trigger guard to fully seat the plunger, and that worked. I was feeling so confident that I tore it down again and reassembled. Took 2 minutes, start to finish!

Thanks for all the help. It would have been nice if the video that Ruger puts on their website mentioned the adjustable sight issue, or the tap the trigger guard issue. I was only after watching that thing over and over did I notice the fixed sight version that was being used.

One last question, can the cylinder be taken off the crane? I see on the SP101, it just comes right off. Don't worry, I'm not gonna try it anytime soon!

Thanks again! Gunboards are awesome!

GP100man

Buckeye
kbm
the cyl asm i flush with cleaner hit it with compressed air then lube with a lite lube (rem oil) at the moment .
the one time i took the cyl from the crane i swore if i ever had to do it again i`d send it back to ruger!!

OH it can be done but ya need 3 hands to disassemble & 4 to reassemble , just too many springs & balls ,pins to line up at once for me!!

GP100man

orruger11

Bearcat
I just found this forum on google when I myself was trying to put my GP100 back together. Thank you for the info!

I, to my dismay, pulled the trigger when I had the trigger group out, and ended up with springs all over my living room. It was a real treat. I spent several hours figuring out the trigger group, got it back together and couldn't the group to go back in tight. After deburring the plunger, I got it back together! This took me 6 hours total. My hands are bloody, but I won.

harleyrijder

Bearcat
Hi there,

I had a lot of trouble with disassamble and assamble my GP100 also, but now i own it for a year and got it all apart for severall times i now know how it works.

For everybody who's still having problems with it i posted a movie of the disassamble and assamble of my GP100 on youtube, the link is down here.

Sorry for my bad English in that movie, but i'm from the Netherlands in Europe :oops: ( and i think your Dutch is not so good also :lol: )

http://youtu.be/LVmWWt3wU8s

Richard 8)