Can't find a Mark IV I like.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Been looking at the Ruger Mark IVs, but I can't seem to warm up to any of them. Don't really want a 5 1/2" bull barrel, nor an even longer barrel, nor a barrel liner with perforated aluminum shroud featured on the lightweights. I still appreciate the relative simplicity of the Mark IIs, and I've always liked the tapered barrel 5 1/4" models.

IMG_2573_0000.jpg

Been looking at the Ruger Mark IVs, but I can't seem to warm up to any of them. Don't really want a 5 1/2" bull barrel, nor an even longer barrel, nor a barrel liner with perforated aluminum shroud featured on the lightweights. I still appreciate the relative simplicity of the Mark IIs, and I've always liked the tapered barrel 5 1/4" models.

View attachment 15075
Maybe it's because of the stupid grip angle. My wrists have been fused at the angle John Moses Browning intended for about 30years since I fell 30' and broke the fall with my hands.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I am going out tomorrow to pick up a 5-1/2 inch 22/45 Mark 4. I prefer a Standard model with the metal frame, but can't find any around here. I too think Ruger had it right with the Mark 2 models.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Last edited:
I am going out tomorrow to pick up a 5-1/2 inch 22/45 Mark 4. I prefer a Standard model with the metal frame, but can't find any around here. I too think Ruger had it right with the Mark 2 models.

INLINECHEVY6.
As long as you can get them back together. Many owners get them apart to clean and end up at the gunsmith with a bag of parts. Even with You Tube I almost wrecked the striker retainer on my Max 9. It shouldn't take a Rocket Surgeon to clean a gun.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Bought a Mark IV 22/45 for my son. I prefer the Mark IIs myself. I have several, both standard frame and 22/45, and really love them. They are my main shooters, trading off from one model to another for my weekly range trips. I also find that I prefer the shape of the original Mark II 22/45 grip to the newer Mark IV.

I hated, with a passion, the Mark IIIs. Especially that loaded chamber indicator. Very happy that Ruger seems to have agreed with that opinion, and removed that abomination from the Mark IVs.

I had an older 22/45 in the early 90's. I hated disassembly and the built in grips and eventually sold it. However, the itch struck again and last week I picked up a 4.5" MKIV 22/45. The button disassembly was the deciding factor. Plus it has easily removable grip panels now too. I love it. I was looking on GunBroker and found Volquartsen was selling a 5.5" threaded upper with bolt and box for $125. It should be here Monday. Supressor time!

I went to Volquartsen's site. They were selling upper assemblies without bolts for as low as $50 for a 3 pack!!! Evidentially the lower is only available as a complete firearm or from Tandemkross as a custom $400 part. Someone needs to make affordable aluminum lowers now. But for the price of the uppers, you could buy several and have multiple configurations cheaply!

Volquartsen has so many for sale because they need the lowers to build their Mamba custom pistols.

D84501D6-0470-4DA0-B79C-7DE3EE9683B1.png

I had an older 22/45 in the early 90's. I hated disassembly and the built in grips and eventually sold it. However, the itch struck again and last week I picked up a 4.5" MKIV 22/45. The button disassembly was the deciding factor. Plus it has easily removable grip panels now too. I love it. I was looking on GunBroker and found Volquartsen was selling a 5.5" threaded upper with bolt and box for $125. It should be here Monday. Supressor time!

I went to Volquartsen's site. They were selling upper assemblies without bolts for as low as $50 for a 3 pack!!! Evidentially the lower is only available as a complete firearm or from Tandemkross as a custom $400 part. Someone needs to make affordable aluminum lowers now. But for the price of the uppers, you could buy several and have multiple configurations cheaply!

Volquartsen has so many for sale because they need the lowers to build their Mamba custom pistols.

View attachment 15119
Only downside is they are serial numbered and require an FFL and that rigamaroll.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
As long as you can get them back together. Many owners get them apart to clean and end up at the gunsmith with a bag of parts. Even with You Tube I almost wrecked the striker retainer on my Max 9. It shouldn't take a Rocket Surgeon to clean a gun.
I remember there was a swinging link near the bottom of the grip and that had to be in a certain position to reassemble. after 2 hours I finally figured it out

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I like the MKIV, sold my MKII the day the MKIV came out. I'd get another if a stainless Standard were to be produced. Another fan of the Volquartsen takeoffs, over the years a lot of different configurations offered.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I don't have have a problem with taking them apart or putting them back together after owning many in the last 40 years. I do want one that drops the mag for quick reloads.

INLINECHEVY6.
I'm not sure. Are you saying the MKIV doesn't drop the mag for quick reloads? Mine does, ejects it with gusto.

And the reason I bought mine was a woman I shoot with every week. She'd just gotten a MKIV and we were at the range. I asked if I could Field strip it to see how easy it was. She said yes. I field stripped it, put it back together and thanked her. Bought one the next day.