Can't disassemble Mark 1... Help!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Warhammer

Bearcat
I just inherited a Mark 1 (A-100 grip frame) from my father-in-law and I can't get the dang thing disassembled for cleaning. The mainspring housing will swing out of the grip frame, but I can't get it removed completely. I made sure the hammer was not cocked, and I've tried tapping on the top of the bolt stop pin with a mallet will pulling down, as per the instructions. The pin will move up and down about 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch, but I can't withdraw it completely.

After trying this for about 10 minutes, I went ahead and closed the mainspring housing back up, and now the bolt won't cycle. It will only move back about 1/2 inch. Before, it would cycle, but felt really dry and gritty.

It is pretty clear from the condition of this pistol that is has not been fired or cleaned in several years. Based on the S/N, this pistol was made in 1981. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Hawker Man

Bearcat
You missed getting the hammer strut pin in the pocket on the top of the main spring housing. Swing out the main spring housing and look in until you find the hammer strut, make sure it is in the pocket. You can tell when you get it because the MSH will have some spring resistance just before it is flush with the grip frame.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Warhammer

Bearcat
Great advice Hawker Man! I was able to get the hammer strut to engage the mainspring housing correctly. Now the bolt will cycle. Thanks!

I still can't get the pistol disassembled, though. Any suggestions?

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
You may have to tap the receiver back or forward a little to reduce binding on the bolt stop pin. Sometimes the receiver will twist a little on the frame and cause binding too. You can grab the barrel and twist left and right and try removing the bolt stop. One of these should free up the bolt stop pin for you and then you can disassemble the pistol the rest of the way.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Warhammer

Bearcat
Well, tapping back and forth yielded no results. If I tapped it back, the pin would bind and and not move at all. Tapping it back forward got me back to were I was, about 1/8 inch of movement.

I tried twisting, but couldn't get any apparent movement at all. I didn't want to clamp it in a vice or use a strap wrench, as I'm worried about wrenching on it too hard.

As I said, the gun is pretty cruddy. When I pull the bolt back and look at the bolt stop pin, I can see plenty of powder residue and gunk all over it. I wonder if the fouling is what's stopping any further movement of the pin. Should I just remove the grip scales and soak the whole pistol in gun cleaner?

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Was the bolt open or closed each time you attempted to remove the bolt stop pin?

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Also there is one other thing worth looking into. It doesn't happen very often with the earlier versions but the Mark III has had problems with the bolt stop pivot pin walking. You can insert a feeler gauge in between the frame and the pin to check to see if the pin has walked.

pivotcheck3.jpg

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Warhammer

Bearcat
Bolt was closed each time. I tried slightly opening the bolt to take off any pressure that it might be putting on the pin, but no dice.

I'll have to run to the hardware store tomorrow to get a feeler gauge so I can check for a loose pivot pin.

Right now, I can withdraw the the bolt stop pin just to the point that it is almost flush with the top of the receiver. Then, it just stops and refuses to move any further. I can wiggle it up and down, from the point where it stops back to the fully installed position, fairly easily.

Warhammer

Bearcat
Looking at the parts diagram, and with the feel of what it's doing, I think the pivot pin may be the issue. Do you think I'll be able to push it back into place using the feeler gauge?

contender

Ruger Guru
It's possible to push the pin back in place far enough to remove the lever. Then peen the ends of the pin to prevent it from happening again.
Use as strong & slender a tool as possible to work with it. Go slow, and it'll work out.

Mr Jukebox

Bearcat
They also have some really nice videos on youtube.com that will show you how to take it apart and get it back together had this same problem with a mark II couple of months ago.

Warhammer

Bearcat
Thanks for all the help so far, guys!

Well, the feeler gauge indicates that the pins has indeed drifted to the left. The problem is that any tool thin enough to get in there is not strong enough to bring any pressure to bear on the pin. For those who have experienced this problem, what did you do to reposition the pin? I've looked on Youtube, but all the vids I could find where just basic disassembly; nothing dealing with problems like this.

MCPO

Bearcat
I shall mention the Elephant-in-the-room. Call Ruger in AZ (Telephone: 928-778-6555) (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST) and see if you can get some tips and/or ask about their cost to 'repair' the problem. I'm thinking you are going to have to get the help of an experienced gunsmith to resolve this problem.

Anyway, won't hurt to ask Rugers.

Warhammer

Bearcat
LOL! You know, actually calling Ruger hadn't even occurred to me. That's a darn good idea!

Edit: OK, I called Ruger about the problem. They took my name and phone number and said a technician will call me back to try to walk me through solving the problem.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
I take a mallet and tap the opposite side of the frame from where the pivot pin is sticking out. This takes some time and patience. You want to seat the pin and not drift it out of the other side of the mainspring housing. I check with the feeler gauge every two or three taps to see when the pin is seated. Once I can retract the mainspring housing, I take it out and restake the pin with a pointed punch to prevent any more walking.

ms33.jpg

Also, the hammer strut has come off of the mainspring cap and that is why you cannot retract your bolt more than a half an inch. Squeeze the trigger and move the hammer fully forward. Open up the mainspring housing, flip the pistol upside down and tilt it slightly rearward. Slowly close the housing to seat the strut properly and that should fix the bolt retraction issue.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

soak the pin area with some 'Kroil', and if you use a leather or such 'mallet' and hit the side of the frame ,on the "opposite": of the drifted pin, it may go 'back' enough to be able to remove ...there is a special no bounce type plastic/rubber mallet, that is filled with ;shot' or such to not make it "bounce" usually one or two GOOD hits, and the pin may drift back.....gotta soak it first though, and hope you did NOT bend it when tryng to pound it downward in the first place...then as Ty said, it would take some tapered pieces of steel or such to try and wedge it back, enough to slide by the frame openiing...if you use a BIG enough hammer, you can force it down, through the bottom, and then would have to 'reshape' the grip frame... :shock:

good luck, it can be done.......... :wink:

Warhammer

Bearcat
Ok, just to be sure that I understand what you mean by "the opposite side"... So if the pin has drifted out to the LEFT, I want to tap the mallet on the RIGHT side of the frame?

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Yes that is correct. The inertial of the mallet hit on the frame will drift that loose pin toward the side you struck.

R,
Bullseye