Can't decide - Guide Gun, Hwkeye Predator, Hwkeye FTW Hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

greyrush

Bearcat
gramps said:
Does the range have a .308 to rent. Ballistically, the .308 and 30/06 are very similar.
They do, but I had a (entry level, from another co.) .308 for not quite a year until I was tired of it's box magazine falling out every other shot, and I wasn't convinced the gun's groups didn't just go another direction whenever it wanted to. So I traded it for something else.

I have a couple Ruger handguns (one I bought in 1993, still working great) and a Gunsite Scout 5.56. I'm sold on Ruger quality, that's why I came back here looking for the next one.

greyrush

Bearcat
NH Rugerman said:
Buy the guide gun in 30-06, you won't regret it!
Ok NH Rugerman ... it's all on you now, last man in takes the blame! ;-]

Picked-up the Guide in 30-06 yesterday and put 56 rounds through it today. Some indoor, some outdoor in windy 10 degree weather on a snow covered field. I like it! Put a chair in the back of my truck bed, extended a mono-pole, and tried to hold the cross hairs on 2 target boxes I put out at 180 yrds and 90 yrds (I guessed for 200 and 100, but 180 and 90 is what I got). That's a bit tough to do in the wind, a frozen cheek, and my breathing still going from walking thru almost foot deep snow. Now I just need a lot more practice to be consistent with it.

IWNPiGL.jpg

hTVTvXn.jpg

TBear77

Single-Sixer
huntsman22 said:
until he shoots the Predator in 6.5.........

An excuse to get the "next" one. The plan to get greyrush hooked is working as planned. :wink:

Ted

greyrush

Bearcat
huntsman22 said:
until he shoots the Predator in 6.5.........

TBear77 said:
An excuse to get the "next" one. The plan to get greyrush hooked is working as planned. :wink:

Haha ... well, I did just send my taxes in, so that refund will be on it's way soon. Dang you! ;-]

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I also think you are pre mature as others have said.
First you need to know what you are going to be hunting and where and suit your gun and ammo to those factors.
Next I personally don't see the need to carry any more weight. suffer any more recoil or muzzle blast than I have too.
Guide guns look great but they are heavy at around 8lbs for the 30-06 add a scope, rings and sling and you'll be up around 9 1/2 - 10 lbs
The magnum cals. and will beat your ass.
Muzzle brakes are loud. They say you wont hear the shot when shooting at game and probably not much after the shot.
I'm kinda old school and like the 30-06 and 308 and ammo can be found in just about any gun shop or wally world.
If you want a flatter shooting round there is always the 270 or 25-06.
If you want to cut weight go to a short action with the 308, 7mm08 or the 6.5 creedmoor.
My go to gun is the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact Magnum. 20" barrel rifle sights, 6 3/4 lb weight (without scope)in 308.
http://www.guns.com/reviews/ruger-m77-hawkeye-compact-magnum/

Since he has a Henry 45/70, I don't think the weight is an issue with him. As far as waiting to see what he is going to hunt, the 30-06 is good for any big game animal we have, including big bears.

greyrush; look forward to more pics of your Guide Gun. Don't be afraid to use it for coyotes up there.

greyrush

Bearcat
bentblade said:
Guide guns look great but they are heavy at around 8lbs for the 30-06 add a scope, rings and sling and you'll be up around 9 1/2 - 10 lbs.
Muzzle brakes are loud. They say you wont hear the shot when shooting at game and probably not much after the shot.
I'm kinda old school and like the 30-06 and 308 and ammo can be found in just about any gun shop or wally world.
My go to gun is the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact Magnum. 20" barrel rifle sights, 6 3/4 lb weight (without scope)in 308.

Just threw my Guide on a scale ... yep, 9.9 lbs.

The Guide comes with a dynamically-matched muzzle weight that I could replace the muzzle brake with to reduce some noise but increase recoil. Though after watching 1 YouTube vid (gunblastdotcom, Guide in Ruger375) of the difference in recoil both in muzzle rise and his comment on what he felt ... I'll keep the brake on for a while and just protect my ears.

My LGS seems to have a decent variety of ammo (as far as I know anyway). A shelf wide of 30-06, 308 of course, even has some 338WM and RCM, found some 6.5 Creedmore as well. Though, as soon as I win the lottery I'm gettin' my arse outta IL. One of the regular employees at the LGS I found out just moved to NC. Everyone wants to get out of IL.

That Hawkeye Compact Magnum looks like a nice gun, nice and light too!

Rumrunner said:
greyrush; look forward to more pics of your Guide Gun. Don't be afraid to use it for coyotes up there.

I'll try and get some pics in a couple days. And yes, coyotes have definitely been at the top of my list of a way to get started with hunting. I'm in a rural town between Rockford and Chicago, pop. was 1700 when I moved here in '99, it's now up to ... 28k? Not even sure. Suburban crawl at it's worst. However, a couple years ago a cat I had was going nuts running from the front door to a nearby window looking out into a ditch with small trees and brush. I looked out the window and 20ft away there stood a coyote! I'm within city limits, pretty much 'within' the city, and right there they were. I've had other friends talk about seeing them around town as well. Crazy how they manage to live right with us and most folks don't even know it.

But my parents live 30 miles SW of me in a very small rural town and if I happen to be there in the evening and stop to listen ... you can usually hear them howling off in the distance. The earlier pics of me in that field ... I've camped there a number of times (in the summer! ;-] ) and a few years back very early one morning we could hear a whole pack doing their yipping and yapping. Sounded like they weren't much further than 100 yards away. Soon as we unzipped the tent though they went quiet and disappeared. Seems like they will be a good challenge, if not frustrating. :-]

A couple weeks ago I took an online hunter education course but I need to find a good source for actual hunting do's, don'ts, and laws. The course really didn't go into that, mainly how not to be stupid while hunting.

grobin

Blackhawk
Most states have seasons regulations and tips on line usually pretty good.

There are problems with coyotes every where. Central park and LA have them bad as does parts of Northern Virginia.

BTW it's illegal to shoot them from a moving street car in San FranCisco.

greyrush

Bearcat
Tried out the new scope at an indoor 75yrd range. A sandbag under the forearm and my shoulder at the other end. There were 2 or 3 times when I really was surprised by a light trigger pull. But so far so good, just need practice practice practice at longer ranges to work with the scope.

6 in. diameter splat targets.
9Oqa2Xf.jpg

4V57LuC.jpg

Latest posts