Can you identify this part?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
130
Location
New mexico
I was taking the grip fram off of my new Single Six in order to send it in to 41 Magnum to have grips fitted. I was carefully following the video instructions from the Ruger site. As I was bagging up the various spare parts, I saw this:

IMG_0364.jpg


I have no idea what it is. I looked at the parts list and didn't see the part. I then took apart my .32 H&R Single Six veeery slowly to see if I could find the same part. No luck.

Can any of you tell me what this piece is and where it goes for when I put the pistol back together?

Thanks in advance.
 

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
130
Location
New mexico
tek4260":3rsibkod said:
???????? Sure its not a leftover from another project?

Well, the short answer is "I don't think so" The only other guns I have been fiddling with recently are a 1911 and a couple of air rifles. Now my Gun screwdriver does have a magnetized head, so I suppose it could have pick the part up, but it just does not seem likely. I guess I can reassemble the thing and see if it functions.
 

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
970
Location
Maine
Allen 207, That's "not" a functional part of the Ruger Single-Six. What's the "diameter" of the pin part of it? If it's small enough, it could have been used to hold the hammer spring/strut assembly for removal instead of the normal pin that is supplied for this purpose. Looks like it might be from a kid's toy!.........................Dick :wink:
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
6,263
It's hard to tell since you didn't put anything in the picture to judge the size of the part by but here is a guess.

Does your grip frame have a lock in it? The locks have a small disc looking thing like that in the bottom of them. Check your lock and see if it's missing.

Yep, After a search I found this picture that Mr. Flatgate posted in a couple threads. I hope he doesn't mind if I show it to you. Thank you Mr. Flatgate for making the big sacrifice for the Ruger Forum. I'm sure it broke your heart to screw up that lock. :mrgreen:

That sure looks like your mystery part.

221293135.jpg
 

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
130
Location
New mexico
caryc":2udj6hm3 said:
It's hard to tell since you didn't put anything in the picture to judge the size of the part by but here is a guess.

Does your grip frame have a lock in it? The locks have a small disc looking thing like that in the bottom of them. Check your lock and see if it's missing.

Yep, After a search I found this picture that Mr. Flatgate posted in a couple threads. I hope he doesn't mind if I show it to you. Thank you Mr. Flatgate for making the big sacrifice for the Ruger Forum. I'm sure it broke your heart to screw up that lock. :mrgreen:

That sure looks like your mystery part.

221293135.jpg

THAT'S THE PART!!! I have to admit I should have used a scale to show how small the part is, but it is definitely the one in the picture there. Thanks sooo much.

Now the question is, since it doesn't seem to affect the function of the pistol, will it be a liability if I just leave it out.
 

flatgate

Hawkeye
Joined
Jun 18, 2001
Messages
6,784
Location
Star Valley, WY
Allen207":2of258af said:
will it be a liability if I just leave it out.

Only if you sell the gun to someone and they suffer an injury and then want to pursue a lawsuit......

I totally trashed the lock in my 50th Anniv. .44 in the interest of SCIENCE!

:D

I ended up swapping grip frames since me and that tiny little XR-3 have NEVER gotten along on a big bore shooter......

flatgate

PS Cary, good work on your part! :D
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
6,263
flatgate":13xnm1op said:
I totally trashed the lock in my 50th Anniv. .44 in the interest of SCIENCE!
:D

flatgate

I knew he had a totally legitimate reason. :mrgreen:

Allen207.....I take it that the lock no longer functions without that little piece?
 

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
130
Location
New mexico
caryc":2cqk6c75 said:
Allen207.....I take it that the lock no longer functions without that little piece?

Actually I'm not sure. I had pretty much intended just to ignore the lock feature. The grip frame is on the way to 41 Magnum along with a piece of spalted sycamore (can you tell I am excited about custom grips?) Once I get it back I will put the thing back together and let you know exactly WHAT the foolish little part does.

Allen
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2002
Messages
7,853
Location
Ohio , U.S.A.
once again, parts just "ain't supposed to fall out..." when taking the grips off ANY gun.....yes, obviously in the "name of science" and you "sacrifice"a 'lamb or two, so be it....BUT , not just falling out on its own....makes you wonder just "what it does and why it" doesn't", any longer........I know the S&W line of "locks", at times, flat out 'malfunctioned' and locked up on their own....nice thing to happen when you are being attacked by "whatever..." ( you fill in the noun...) :shock:
 

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
2,113
Location
Cape Cod, MA, USA
Just out of curiosity, has anyone (aftermarket) attempted to produce a little hunk of metal that looks and functions like the Ruger lock block, but doesn't happen to have a lock in it? That is, a non-functional replacement? Looks like it would be pretty easy to do...

-- Sam
 
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
6,263
Yosemite Sam":32ffrcgm said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone (aftermarket) attempted to produce a little hunk of metal that looks and functions like the Ruger lock block, but doesn't happen to have a lock in it? That is, a non-functional replacement? Looks like it would be pretty easy to do...

-- Sam

No one here recommends by passing the locks but I think it would be simpler to just use a small piece of "U" shaped aluminum extrusion as a bridge where the lock usually sits. A hole in the channel would allow the strut to go through.

The locks don't bother me so I don't mess with them. You are taking your chances on altering a gun to bypass the lock with things like an AD or someone stealing your gun and committing a crime with it.

An opposing attorney would be on you like Oprah on a baked ham for rendering that gun unsafe. A jury could possibly frown on that.
 

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
130
Location
New mexico
Cary,

I just went to your website, and it is shocking how beautiful the grips you make are. So many amazing pieces of wood. Makes me want to buy more pistols just to have a place to hang more grips.
 

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
2,113
Location
Cape Cod, MA, USA
caryc":3f5roy4e said:
Yosemite Sam":3f5roy4e said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone (aftermarket) attempted to produce a little hunk of metal that looks and functions like the Ruger lock block, but doesn't happen to have a lock in it? That is, a non-functional replacement? Looks like it would be pretty easy to do...

-- Sam

No one here recommends by passing the locks but I think it would be simpler to just use a small piece of "U" shaped aluminum extrusion as a bridge where the lock usually sits. A hole in the channel would allow the strut to go through.

The locks don't bother me so I don't mess with them. You are taking your chances on altering a gun to bypass the lock with things like an AD or someone stealing your gun and committing a crime with it.

An opposing attorney would be on you like Oprah on a baked ham for rendering that gun unsafe. A jury could possibly frown on that.
Thanks for the info. I was just asking in the name of Science, you understand... ;)

-- Sam
 

flatgate

Hawkeye
Joined
Jun 18, 2001
Messages
6,784
Location
Star Valley, WY
Yes, I've modified the lock in such a way that I could replace the whimpy mainspring with one from a standard Blackhawk. My "modification" rendered the lock "unlockable". (The lock mechanism requires a shorter mainspring and Ruger has chosen to, to the best of my knowledge, utilize a softer mainspring.) OK for Cowboy Action Shooting. Not OK, IMHO, for the woods.

flatgate
 

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Joined
Mar 18, 2002
Messages
2,113
Location
Cape Cod, MA, USA
flatgate":3svvoivo said:
Yes, I've modified the lock in such a way that I could replace the whimpy mainspring with one from a standard Blackhawk. My "modification" rendered the lock "unlockable". (The lock mechanism requires a shorter mainspring and Ruger has chosen to, to the best of my knowledge, utilize a softer mainspring.) OK for Cowboy Action Shooting. Not OK, IMHO, for the woods.

flatgate
Interesting comment. My Lipsey's .44 gave me two light strikes last time I had it out, with my handloads using WLP primers, which have never choked any gun of mine prior to this. And the failed rounds fired in my S&W 624 with a RP mainspring.

I wondered why the trigger pull on the new BH was so light... Now I know the fix in case this behavior continues.

-- Sam
 
Top