Can you change grips on a 22-45?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dale_K

Bearcat
Traded my Mk III standard in on a 22-45 fitted with a red dot sight. It shoots great but it would look better with some wood grips. It looks like the stock grips are one-piece with the plastic frame. Is it possible to upgrade the grips?

I bought a 22-45 a few years at a real discount because the original owner's dog had chewed on the grip area. Not pretty but gives a good grip. Get out the Dremel and chew it up some.

contender

Ruger Guru
Short answer; no swapping as the grips are a molded part of the frame.
Long answer; Yes,, with a bit of smithing, a Ruger 22/45 can be made to accept 1911 grips. It has been done by several folks. It's not a hard job for a good smith with the right machines.

greener

Single-Sixer
contender":ueectyd5 said:
Short answer; no swapping as the grips are a molded part of the frame.
Long answer; Yes,, with a bit of smithing, a Ruger 22/45 can be made to accept 1911 grips. It has been done by several folks. It's not a hard job for a good smith with the right machines.

It doesn't take a gunsmith but it does take someone with a pretty steady hand and a few tools. Look in the 22/45 area of Rimfire Central. Basically you have to grind down the "grip panels" on the 22/45, insert a 1911 grip bushing and then add your 1911 grips.

The other way is TechTeach's molded rubber grips. All you need to do is attached the grips to the 22/45. They are set up to use a 1911 grip screw. That's the way I did it. I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

DSC00881.jpg

PS. I understand he has a perfect fit for the MKII 22/45. No pic's yet from one of the earlier recipients.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I bought a 2245 in September. If I had wanted a .22 with "thicker" grips I would have bought one. I think the teach-tech grips look like a cheap peel-n-stick-on - JMHO. I have seen some good looking actual 1911 grips put on over on RFC, but I just don't see the material available in the existing grip, after grinding it down, to secure the grips for anything but the gentlest handling. The molded slip-on would be the only option I'd consider if I wanted such a thing.

Most of Ruger's autos have gone/are going to the molded/non replacable grips. Seems to have worked for Glock... and a lot of others...

For a wide selection of really nice grips, buy a Blackhawk!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
greener":p91wfc3w said:
contender":p91wfc3w said:
The other way is TechTeach's molded rubber grips. All you need to do is attached the grips to the 22/45. They are set up to use a 1911 grip screw. That's the way I did it. I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

DSC00881.jpg

PS. I understand he has a perfect fit for the MKII 22/45. No pic's yet from one of the earlier recipients.
I just installed a set of these grips on my 22/55 Mk II and they were a perfect fit and an easy installation. All you need is the grip panels, a set of 1911 grip screws and a couple of drill bits. They really do improve the feel of the gun.

Actually they make the grip slightly thicker than a 1911 with its standard wood grip panels but not as wide as a double stack 1911. They are a good product.

soot4brains05

Bearcat
Hey all,
I know this is an older post and you've probably seen them by now, but take a look at the latest model Mark III 22/45 at: (classified add)
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight=
Ruger now offers it. So I did an online customer support question to Ruger. Their new frames are not interchangeable with the older ones (which I figured they weren't) and they don't sell the frames as parts, only do replacements. My main question to them was if they would offer a frame kit for the older model 22/45's with the removable grips and they said they don't at this time, and thanked me and said they would pass it on for consideration. My thought on that is if we were to inundate them with requests maybe they'd offer a kit (I have my doubts though). They also gave me the phone number to the Prescott AZ customer support so I thought I try that too. I know there's a boat load of us that would probably rather do that than buy another gun. Let me know what y'all think.
Thanks, Carl B.