Can we talk about 1911's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
The arched MSH makes the 1911 grip a little bigger front-to-back. Those with medium or smaller hands might prefer the flat MSH.

Dan in MI

Staff member
For me it’s how the gun naturally aims.

If I pick up an arched MSH (main spring housing) 1911 when I bring the gun up and look at the rear sight my eye lines up with the middle of the slide. With a flat MSH my eye lines up with the front sight and perfect sight picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

In the link on the right side is a comparison of a M1911 and M1911A1 so you can see the MSH difference.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Like I said personal preference. I like and arched housing. It fits in the palm of my hand comfortably and comfortingly. But, I started with and arched housing and all but one of my 1911's have arched housings. When I pick up the one with a flat housing I have to "think" about getting a proper grip. With the arched housing it just slips right in place and locks down solid.

On a slightly different note, the feel of a 1911 in my hand, the sound as the slide is racked, the authoritative but not abusive recoil all instill confidence in the pistol. Do your part and a 1911 will do its.

Cholo

Staff member
Jeepnik said:
On a slightly different note, the feel of a 1911 in my hand, the sound as the slide is racked, the authoritative but not abusive recoil all instill confidence in the pistol. Do your part and a 1911 will do its.
I agree in that it just feels right, in 45 ACP only, though :)

I've never shot a 1911 with an arched mainspring housing. Sure would like to!

Dan in MI

Staff member
Jeepnik said:
Like I said personal preference. I like and arched housing. It fits in the palm of my hand comfortably and comfortingly. But, I started with and arched housing and all but one of my 1911's have arched housings. When I pick up the one with a flat housing I have to "think" about getting a proper grip. With the arched housing it just slips right in place and locks down solid.

I may be splitting hairs, but is it personal preference to have a gun come up naturally with the sights aligned versus always having to consciously adjust so they are aligned, or just a better fit?

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Dan in MI said:
Jeepnik said:

I may be splitting hairs, but is it personal preference to have a gun come up naturally with the sights aligned versus always having to consciously adjust so they are aligned, or just a better fit?

You are but if a pistol comes naturally to ones eye that's usually the one you have a personal preference for. Arch MSH pistols fo this for me.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have a 70 series govt. A 70's series Gold Cup, a GI government model (made 1917) in Colts. The GI version and Gold Cup are shot a fair amount in Wild Bunch Action Shooting. They run without any problems at all. I shoot 7 grains of Unique under a cast 230 grain RN in competition at 840 fps. So, I stick as close to possible to the specs the gun was designed for.
The 1911 that is the most surprising in a Norinco Government model that I bought on sale way back when for $225.00 + tax. It shoots as well as my Colts. My friends Rock Island 1911 is also a keeper.

Can't go wrong with a 1911 in .45 ACP. The only other chambering I might be interested in trying is 38 Super. I have not given in yet!

Latest posts