Can we talk about 1911's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to a couple gun stores today. I've got some extra money and it's burning a hole in my pocket. At one store, I saw two Colt Series 70 1911's. I know the Series 70 is more desirable than the Series 80. But why?

Also, 9mm 1911's. I actually have one, a Dan Wesson Vigil. It's very nice. I bought it used (practically new however), and I think it's had a trigger job, and they added an ambidextrous safety. The thing I don't like about it is the aluminum frame. It balances weird because of the steel slide, on top of the lighter weight aluminum frame. Are all 9mm 1911's like that? The are also smaller too I think, yes? Do people like 9mm 1911's? I see them everywhere.

Anyway, now that I'm at home, that Colt Series 70 back at the store seems to be calling my name. Anything to look out for in a used 1911? The grip is a little dinged up. but just a little. It also had aftermarket sights too. Well, one did, the other didn't. But I don't know what brand. It was in the case, and I didn't talk to anyone.

hittman

Staff member
I have the Ruger commander size lightweight in 9mm. Don’t notice any issues with balance, etc. In fact, its my favorite 1911 to shoot and 2nd favorite 9mm … right behind the G19x.

My lightweight commander appears to be the same size as my “regular” 45 ACP SR1911 except of course for the barrel length.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I actually don't care for either the series 70 or 80. The 70 had the collet bushing that sometimes broke one of the "fingers" locking up the gun. The 80 went back to a solid bushing but put in a "trigger safety" that wrecked any chance of them having a decent stock trigger.

My money is on a good old fashion 1911A1. Better sights are a pretty good idea, but other than that sticking with the original design gives you a reliable pistol that will hit what you aim at if you do your part.

gunzo

Buckeye
I shot a series 70 in IPSC competition for a few years & it needed several mods to be competitive with modern versions of the format.
As a shooter & past competitor, I see no reason to own a series 70. The 80, just a screwed up 70 IMO.

A 70 is a nice box stock representative of the era of when Colt was considered great. If that's you, go for it.

9mm 1911's another subject .

gunzo

Buckeye
But, adhering to the thread title, I like to talk 1911's.

Not an xpert here, but quoting & learning is always entertaining.

I know the question about the Colt series 70/80 and 9mm 1911’s are very different. I guess I was looking for some input about the various 1911’s available.

I also saw the Ruger Custom Shop Koenig 19111. The store had 2 in 9mm. They are very nice looking guns. But I don’t know much about them.

And thanks for the replies so far. All good view points.

gunzo

Buckeye
I have an all steel 1911 in 9mm. It is fun to shoot & doesn't punish arthritic hands. A practice gun mostly. Stay with the format & not get beat up, along with what once was cheap ammo.

Older pistolero's that embrace the format often go to a LW or standard Commander in 9 as a preferred carry gun. Not a bad choice if you've lived with the format.

Try one, Ruger's not a bad choice. Colt will require a greater investment with little to offer over other brands besides resale value.

gunzo

Buckeye
Thinking the 1911 format fits for general conversation, maybe not?

Not nit picking scallops behind the trigger, a hammer, trigger, or mainspring housing change.

Collectors would need to know these things. :mrgreen:

I have one Colt series 70 45acp. It has a commander length steel slide and an officers alloy grip frame.
It is a Colt Gunsite model and by far my favorite 1911 that I have owned.
I also like my simple RIA 1911A1 45acp. Accurate and reliable. I once owned a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. It did not like heavy loads due to an unsupported chamber. So now I have a RIA 1911 in 10mm. It likes the heavy loads just fine.....
Oh, by the way, I would go with that series 70. JMO

Snake45

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Are all 9mm 1911's like that? The are also smaller too I think, yes?
There are--or at least were a few years ago--a very few 9mm 1911s that were reduced in the frame to specifically fit the length of the 9mm and .40 cartridges. The advantage of this is a slightly smaller grip that's easier for smaller hands to use. The disadvantage is that you lose a lot of 1911 parts commonality/interchangability. I could be wrong but I don't think the Dan Wesson is one of these downsized 1911s.

Enigma

Hunter
1911 pistols in 9mm are hugely popular these days. Staccato (used to be STI) has stopped manufacture of all calibers except 9mm due to sales figures. Folks like Wilson Combat say that they are selling about as many 9mms as they are .45s. Some manufacturers offer slightly reduced size 9mm 1911-format pistols, and some don't. Personally, to me the big appeal of a 9mm is increased magazine capacity. I don't see much point in carrying a single-stack 9mm, unless state law restricts you to 10 rounds. Then there's not much point in a double stack 9mm, IMHO.

IKE

Single-Sixer
As a 17 1/2 year old kid in the Army (1967) a 1911 was the first centerfire handgun that I ever fired and I've had a soft spot for them ever since.

I currently own three 5" stainless 45 ACP 1911's that I rotate shooting 50 rounds through twice weekly.....none of the three are what you'd call custom, tricked out or super expensive and I enjoy shooting each one equally.

1. Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.
2. Ruger SR1911
3. S & W 'E' Series.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Firing 9MMs out of a full size steel frame 1911 is like firing 38 Specials out of a N frame S&W, and in combat hits with a minor caliber hurt a lot worse than misses with a major. For those who want a steel frame designed around the 9MM I recommend the Browning HP or the S&Ws-the M639 in my case.
The 1911 has stood the test of time-110 years.

gunzo

Buckeye
I'm unaware of a reduced size 1911/1911A1 style pistol sized to the 9.

I'd like to take a peek at those, anybody know a brand? I have small hands & might find a new love.

Snake45

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
I'm unaware of a reduced size 1911/1911A1 style pistol sized to the 9.

I'd like to take a peek at those, anybody know a brand? I have small hands & might find a new love.

Here's one, there might be another too, I don't remember:

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-emp-handguns/

gunzo

Buckeye
Cool! Might be a while before I get to see one in person. But worth a look for sure.

Thanks Snake

Snake45

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
Cool! Might be a while before I get to see one in person. But worth a look for sure.

Thanks Snake
I've only gotten to handle one once, myself. But I really liked it.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
AND ANOTHER THING...............!

Sort of sets my teeth on edge to hear someone call every automatic pistlol a "M1911."

The M1911 and M1911A1 were .45 ACP caliber, Parkerized or blue finish, and set to Military specs. The commercial model was the Government Model. Current guns are nowhere near M1911 configuration.

So there!

Bob Wright

About the smaller 9mm guns. I think I was looking at Wilson’s website and they mentioned something about when 1911’s were starting out chambered in 9mm the larger pistol caused problems for the smaller caliber bullet. So they designed one of their guns to be smaller to handle the smaller bullets.

I believe that was Wilson Combat’s website, but don’t quote me, might have been somewhere else.