Can My GP100 Trigger Be Like a S&W Trigger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

actionflies

Bearcat
So I have after market springs and polishing the contact surface for my GP100's and my SA/DA trigger is still not as good as my S&W revolvers without any work done to it. I have shot about 1k rounds through one GP100 and I still don't see the improvement in the trigger. Does anyone have a GP100 that have a trigger action like a S&W? What are your thought?

WESHOOT2

Hunter
No.

But if I'd wanted a "S&W" trigger I'd have bought one.
I personally prefer the DA 'feel' of Ruger.

(Apply Tetragun Grease, sparingly, to the correct points; that helps.)

GP100man

Buckeye
It can be as smooth but will always be a longer pull.

Seek the new gun guide from Iowegan , it`s a purchased item not as free flowin as the IBOK

Much better & more advanced revolver smithin within

+1 for tetra gun grease!

I have what I believe is a VERY good trigger job on my GP but it's still not as good as most of my out-of-the-box S&W triggers.....and never will be.

If you like S&W triggers (they are the best) just get a Smith. :)

IMNSHO,

Dennis.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I agree. I have several Ruger DA revolvers, but they're not up to par with the S&W's in the trigger department.

actionflies

Bearcat
I like Ruger a lot better than S&W because I hate that ILS on the newer guns and Ruger are easier to take apart and work on.

Sgt Garcia":dy4w1ujp said:
I have what I believe is a VERY good trigger job on my GP but it's still not as good as most of my out-of-the-box S&W triggers.....and never will be.

IMNSHO,

Dennis.

GP100man

Buckeye
Kevin tetra grease is a synthetic & goes into the pores of the metals even wiping will not remove it it has to be washed off.

As smoothness goes Ruger can be as smooth just not as short!

Just my $.02

Pinecone

Blackhawk
I have gotten many a Ruger double-action revolver pull down to 9 to 9.5 lbs. double action and 3 lbs. in single action. It will not be as smooth a complete pull as in a S&W because the two systems are engineered "differently" (differing torque and tension points) and you can't compare apples and oranges. It does take a "lot" of time and work utilizing India stones, emery paper with a file backing and polishing tips with rouge in a Dremel tool. Ruger parts tend to be a lot rougher than S&W parts so look for any evidence of parts rubbing excessively on the frame or one another. All metal surfaces that interact with one another should be stoned or polished "without" removing excess metal to include "all" the plungers. The Ruger revolvers are engineered pretty "loose" to begin with and you don't want to loosen them further. When I'm done with all the stoning and polishing I then address the "springs". Although you can get reduced hammer & trigger spring kits from Brownell's etc., since I have well over 6000 gun springs in stock, I usually modify or hand pick my own hammer and trigger springs as well as a reduced crane latch spring which allows the cylinder to turn easier. I also use a reduced pawl plunger spring but only enough so the pawl still engages the rachet as it should. This is "tricky" as the spring controls the trigger plunger also! Just remember that "each" gun is different because of differing wear, parts tolerences and smoothness so a mainspring that works well in one revolver may give you "missfires" in another. If you do these revolvers the way I do them, be prepared to spend at least 8 to 10 hours on yours!...........................Dick :wink:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
For one thing the sear engagement surfaces etc. are bigger, wider etc. on the Ruger so they are much stronger and less prone to wear or mess up. This requires a bit of smoothing as there is simply more to polish or smooth. The action will always be a longer pull although smoothed. I absolutely hate Smith and Wessonss short pull so I much prefer a Ruger. My GP-100 is now butter smooth, much smoother than an out of the box Smith. Anyone who brags up Smithss triggers never was much of a Colt man now there were some factory smoothed triggers! Don't expect too much from springs-they don't smooth anything up. I prefer a strong spring for faster lock time with a smooth action. Ridiculously light springs cause misfires and make hammers feel like they are dropping a wet noodle. I like my hammers crisp, fast, and smooth.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Sgt Garcia":wg1bcik5 said:

IMNSHO,

Dennis.
+ 1

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I agree with others that your GP100 will never have quite the trigger pull and action as the S&W 686. I have a little experience with both because I own both. I have a GP100 4 inch Stainless and a S&W 686-3 4 inch. The Smith has the lighter and smoother trigger but I like my GP100 as well or better than the Smith. They have different type actions. GP100 has a coil spring and the Smith uses a leaf type spring. Also, like others mentioned the trigger group on the Ruger is heavier and will last longer without attention. I will point out that the newer Smiths with the internal lock and mim parts don't have the trigger that my older 686 does. But I bought a Ruger GP100 because I believe it is the best medium frame revolver made today. The action on your GP100 will get better with time. I have a old Ruger Police Service Six 4 inch made in 1985 and over the many years of use the trigger is very good. But like the GP100 the trigger pull is longer than any of my Smiths. But my GP100 and my Service Six will outlast my Smiths and require little care. That is why I have them.

Good luck,
roaddog28

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I have a really good action job and Wolff springs, and my GP100 is better feeling than my dad's 20 year old S&W 686. Just take it to a reputable gunsmith and let him work his magic on it.

jpickar

Blackhawk
The Ruger is a stronger gun,
The S&W is very finely made and the best design.
And the Colt tried to make it on the fame of the SSA.

I'll take my Rugers overall anyday. Each has thier pluses and minus's

John

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
I purchased a new GP today. It has the smoothest trigger of any Ruger DA I have ever tried. According to my scale the SA pull is just under 4 pounds and the DA 10.75.

44s Rock

Bearcat
Mine is a very early GP100 and it has an excellent ttrigger right out of the box, so was my 629 Classic, my 629 Trail Boss on the other hand. :(

Knuckles

Buckeye
I have a new Redhawk... and after dry-firing the gun about a thousand times... it has a glass-smooth trigger.

I had an SP101 DAO... sold it to a friend to be nice. I replaced it with a 'new' S&W 640 'centennial'... the short pull threw off my shooting... sold it as soon as I could.

Tried dry-firing a S&W 'mountain gun' but had the same short trigger feel... I went with the Redhawk.

That's how I Roll! 8)