Can I use Something Other Than A Pocket Priming Brush...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

810wmb

Single-Sixer
....to clean out the priming pocket?

i'm pretty much up and running. i punched out a few old primers tonight. some of the pockets were dirty. i have a small screw driver that i scratched around in a few of them, worked ok, though a little time consuming.

figured i better ask before going any farther.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I used to use a small wooden dowel and a strip of rag after de-priming but I just toss them in the tumbler now for about an hour to get the lube off and to polish the cases and clean the primer pockets. After tumbling I take a toothpick and make sure all the primer holes and pockets are clear. :D

...Jimbo

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

You wouldn't be the first to use a screwdriver... ;)

Lee makes a small tool for cleaning primer pockets that's quick and easy to use. It's essentially nothing but a handle w/ small screwdriver blades at each end, one for small, the other for large sized primer pockets!

Rick C

810wmb

Single-Sixer
rick - heheh, i didn't figure i would be the first to improvise a little!

jimbo - i had tumbled them first, threw them back in, found out it wasn't cleaning much, PLUS putting corn media in the hole :roll:

what is an acceptable level of residue or dirt or whatever? i would think they don't have to be squeaky clean, right?

most of these are once fired, caught on a tarp....point is, i don't know!

edit - is it worth buying the brushes? or just scrape as needed?

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I have loaded ammo several times without cleaning the primer pockets and they still work fine and are very accurate. Once fired should not be a problem at all. No they do not HAVE to be super clean but if you want to then knock yourself out.
I would just load them up and go shooting.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
Divernhunter":2tk4fuia said:
I have loaded ammo several times without cleaning the primer pockets and they still work fine and are very accurate. Once fired should not be a problem at all. No they do not HAVE to be super clean but if you want to then knock yourself out.
I would just load them up and go shooting.

thanks!

that's what i'm looking for, just some common sense things i don't know about.

contender

Ruger Guru
First,, there are several types of tools available to clean, or uniform primer pockets etc.
Like divernhunter,, I have some I never bother cleaning. I shoot USPSA competition,, and I load my ammo on a Dillon 650. Guess what,, those cases never get the pocket cleaned.
My rilfe rounds,, and especially any hunting ammo,, gets a serious lot of case work. It's all about uniformity,,,!
But,, most pistol caliber cases,, no cleaning of the primer pocket.

tek4260

Buckeye
I have both the Lee tool and the RCBS primer pocket brush. Do yourself a favor and buy the RCBS. The Lee works but not as well, plus its hard to hold on to. Its not that bad for 20 or so cases, but when you get into prepping hundreds.....

edlmann

Blackhawk
810wmb":33t817az said:
what is an acceptable level of residue or dirt or whatever? i would think they don't have to be squeaky clean, right?

The danger is that if too much residue builds up, the primers will seat "high", leading to all sorts of mishaps.

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Fast, simple, and cheap. Cut a short piece of stranded copper wire that is the correct dia to fill the primer pocket, about two inches long. Strip the outside cover back about 1/8 inch and the chuck the wire up in your drill and have at it. As the end of the wire gets buggered up just trim it back..

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
tek4260":3g0yee49 said:
The Lee works but not as well, plus its hard to hold on to. Its not that bad for 20 or so cases, but when you get into prepping hundreds.....

Hi,

I found if I put the tool in a vise and twist the cases on it, the hands last much longer. I put a large trash can underneath--helps catch the cases I drop as well as the crud.

In answer to the question about when to clean the primer pockets, I pretty much follow Contender's lead there: my rifle cases get a cleaning each time they're loaded, and though my scrounged pistol cases get a cleaning first time I load 'em, not much of my pistol brass gets cleaned otherwise.

Rick C

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'll "third" that. Unless you're a benchrest shooter trying to get .005" groups at 100 yards, you're not going to notice much difference with deburred/deflashed/uniformed primer pockets. OTOH, crud does build up from primer residue. While I've never had enough buildup to cause a high seated primer, I suppose it could happen.

The RCBS tool is cheap, and I have one for my rifle brass.

-- Sam

Rclark

Hunter
I used to clean every primer pocket, but not any more. Haven't noticed any difference ... except less time to reload :) .

Bucks Owin

Hunter
810wmb":239b0hl4 said:
....to clean out the priming pocket?

i'm pretty much up and running. i punched out a few old primers tonight. some of the pockets were dirty. i have a small screw driver that i scratched around in a few of them, worked ok, though a little time consuming.

figured i better ask before going any farther.
You're doing fine, keep at it.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
thanks again for all the replies!

i went ahead and ordered a rcbs combo primer tool. while i'm not going to do any work i don't need to (on anything!) i do need it for some of these first reloads.

as i stated in another thread, some of this brass in old and been out in the weather a while. i know i have got to clean more than a few, so i might as well get the tool designed for the job.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
I am not exceptionally pickey about brass cleaning but.... You can chuck the RCBS "primer pocket brush" (large or small) in an electric or battery powered drill. (Take the brush out of the screw-driver handle.) Lay the drill on its side on your work bench and set the "trigger" to slow speed. You can clean maybe two hundred cases (primer pockets) in ten minutes or less. And I mean clean! You only have to touch the case (pocket) to the turning brush for a second or so. Many folks don't think it's at all necessary to clean the primer pocket but this method is very quick, lazy and does no harm. Have fun reloading. Gerry

#1rugerman

Single-Sixer
I chuck the lee tool in a cordless drill to clean primer pockets. You can pick up 2 or 3 at a time one quick pull on the trigger and you've got a clean primer pocket.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
contender":28zbr1hf said:
First,, there are several types of tools available to clean, or uniform primer pockets etc.
Like divernhunter,, I have some I never bother cleaning. I shoot USPSA competition,, and I load my ammo on a Dillon 650. Guess what,, those cases never get the pocket cleaned.
My rilfe rounds,, and especially any hunting ammo,, gets a serious lot of case work. It's all about uniformity,,,!
But,, most pistol caliber cases,, no cleaning of the primer pocket.

Do you load both Pistol and rifle on your 650? I am fine with 9mm and 45 Acp on my dillon in bulk. But have the dies and parts for 223. I am just not sure if its " safe"? to mass produce these. Just for down range shooting. I have been told both yes and no.. what says you?

GP100man

Buckeye
I load in batches of 50 , I use old crtridge holders from factory ammo I scrounged from out door ranges.

After sizing I turn the cases head up & take the rcbs brush either on a drill or by hand & clean until clean!!

Some ya have to hold to clean but for the most part ya don`t.

As contender said the level of prep I give brass depends on what I`m gonna use it for.

Latest posts