Can I switch out cylinders for a Ruger Super Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ml1209

Single-Sixer
On a .44 Mag SBH, I don't like the unflued SS cylinder and would like to have a fluted SS cylinder instead. Could I do this easily? Where could I get just the cluted cylinder? Thanks.

flatgate

Hawkeye
You might talk the Factory into doing the job. I dunno.

Contact any one of the many well known gunsmiths that are discussed
on the Forum. They CAN help you.

flatgate

RonEgg

Blackhawk
To be safe, I would take Flatgates advice. I did, however, purchase a fluted cylinder off Gunbroker and it worked perfectly in my SBH.

CraigC

Hawkeye
David Clements once posted on his board that he would flute a factory unfluted cylinder for somewhere around $75 or $80.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
CraigC":gp2ejb0i said:
David Clements once posted on his board that he would flute a factory unfluted cylinder for somewhere around $75 or $80.

That's cheaper then I spent on a 45acp cylinder for my Vaquero.

Hamcan

Bearcat
Of course, this is just my opinion, and everyone's taste is their own perspective, I would not have the unfluted cylinder fluted..once you do it, you cannot reverse it. Rather, get a new cylinder and have it fitted.

Better yet, If you'd like yours to look like the other revolver...get grips like theirs..it would go a long way in changing the appearance. My preference would be for the unfluted anyway. Why not try a grip change first?...unless, of course, you love the look of the pearls and your desire for the new look lies soley in the cylinder.

ml1209

Single-Sixer
I don't mind the pearl grips. I was mainly talking about the unfluted cylinder. I prefer fluted. But the unfluted could grow on me.

A cyl from a Vaquero will probably fit no problem. Just hard to come by.
All of these NM cylinders can be switched. They are 45s. The Old Armys do also.
Jim
1255193470-1.jpg

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Meeteetse, a gentleman here on the forum had a 45 acp cylinder for a blackhawk advertised for sale. I measured the length (over all, cylinder only) of my 45clt cylinder and it matched the 45acp cylinder. Once I got the 45acp cylinder I had to shorten the overall length of the end of the bushing just a hair. I checked the cylinder gap, alignment, and lock up and all looked good. Shoots great :)

Meeteetse

Bearcat
JWhitmore44":18ib0o1v said:
Meeteetse, a gentleman here on the forum had a 45 acp cylinder for a blackhawk advertised for sale. I measured the length (over all, cylinder only) of my 45clt cylinder and it matched the 45acp cylinder. Once I got the 45acp cylinder I had to shorten the overall length of the end of the bushing just a hair. I checked the cylinder gap, alignment, and lock up and all looked good. Shoots great :)

Thanks for the information. I'll keep looking for another cylinder. I have two convertibles from the 1970's and neither cylinder will fit my old model Vaquero from about 2004. I may do some careful measuring and see if it is possible to modify one I have to fit both guns and still shoot well.