Can I purchase a No. 1 action only? Where?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pangloss

Bearcat
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I have a few questions about getting a No. 1. As a bit of background info, I have a Ruger No. 1B in 270 Win that I bought new in 1992. This has been my primary hunting rifle since then, so I'm familiar with No. 1's (even though I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like).

I'm beginning to consider trying to put together a No. 1 that is a bit lighter than my No. 1B and one that I wouldn't feel like I have to baby quite so much (in other words without a beautiful walnut stock). A No. 1A in stainless might work, but the No. 1A is not offered in stainless (at least currently). Also, I'd like more choice in choosing a cartridge for the rifle than what Ruger has available (possibly to the even to extent of wildcat cartridges). Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just a Ruger No. 1 action. I don't want stocks and I don't want a barrel. If I can't find just the action, it looks like I'll wait for a decent deal on a used stainless and then tear it apart to get the action.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any tips anyone here might have to share. I'm in no hurry and expect this project to take years. Thanks.

mattsbox99

Hunter
To get a new one, you'll have to buy a new rifle. Ruger won't sell just the action. Fortunately, its pretty easy to sell the parts, it wouldn't be hard to get $300 for a nice NIB stock or $100 for a NIB barrel.

pangloss

Bearcat
Thanks very much. That's what I was afraid of. I looked around online for a while before posting my question, and I didn't find anything that looked promising. It seems to me that if Ruger would sell actions only, it'd be pretty easy money for them. I've seen enough posts of other people lamenting the cartridge line up to be confident that at least a small market exists for just the actions.

picketpin

Buckeye
The barreled actions were sold by Ruger for a number of years. They sold a few actions only but only for special projects and oveeseas for the Heym-Rugers.

Brownell's used to have barreled actions but sold off the last of them a few years ago.

I never bought one simply because it was almost always cheaper to buy a used donor rifle than a new barreled action.

The advantage you have is there are lot's of stainless actioned #1s going begging right now and as you plan on re-barreling and re-stocking , caliber, and configuration don't meen anything for you end goal.

That being said, anything under $500 is pretty much a bargain for a used #1 and as mentioned you will want to figure in the re-sale of the stock set and barrel, predicated on caliber and configuration.

By the way, my stainless go to hunting rifle is a #1 in 257 Ackley with a stainless action and a stainless fluted barrel on the "A" profile. It wears at set of old Bishop wood with a fctory Alex Henry foreARM that has been painted desert cammo.

good luck on your build.

RWT

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I am not aware of loose No.1 actions from any retail site. They used to be available early on, as explained in other postings, but not now. I think you will have to look for the action or rifle in the secondary market. Actions loose, are offered about for what the rifles bring for some reason.

Sounds like you have some ideas in mind already. If one forgoes the iron sights and quarter rib, some weight will come off. B&C makes a synthetic stock set for the No.1(black, not sure about other colors), but have no background on such. For my hunting rifles, I use what I got; and wood is all that is in the corner.

If you cannot find a donor stainless rifle, one might consider a blue at the right price, and take the action to a plater. Some of the plated, low luster, types will look like brushed stainless. However, I would guess 75 bucks or better in the plating.

One can find donor rifles in the 425-500 buck range that are nice, just no one wants them for whatever reason of the day. Big calibers, will go for a song most times. I only look at the big auction sites, never bought there because of high pricing etc. Gunshows(rarely), ftf, gunshops are the place to take a looksee most times. No.1's here are somewhat lower in resale than other rifles here, so occasionally a rifle comes up that one can afford and make into a custom.

A no.1 action is a no.1 action. The action proper only varies by ejector type and it is replaceable easily. Some fitting with a new ejector may be needed but not much to it. Ejectors are less than 10 bucks and found at Ruger, Brownells, Midway etc.

Always is a joy to hear about a custom being done up............

Roof

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Suggest you shop the Classifieds and auction sites for the Lipseys Distributor Series of SS/Walnut non-cataloged #1A Light Sporters......250 of each were offered. Were chambered in 762 x 39, 65 x 55, 257 Roberts and 35 Whelen. We are still waiting on the fifth rifle, the "promised" 250 Savage/250 3000 version(THREE YEARS!!) Think this would make more sense for your funds and needs than a full scale take-years-to-complete project. I have the set of four; "IT" is available and is priced at $5500 plus SHI. 8) :)

pangloss

Bearcat
Thanks for the info, everyone. Picketpin, I like the sound of your 257AI. If the project ever makes it to chambering, I'm thinking about going with a 6.5-06. Roofinspector, I've been watching Gunbroker, and I also noticed that the big calibers are strangely cheaper. A 458 Win was listed for less than the average deer caliber, but still quite a bit more than I want to pay right now. I'll work on keeping a closer eye on what's in the gun stores around here and just be ready to move when I find something. Hawkeye, I'd feel worse about roughing up one of those special run guns than the No 1 I own now, though they would definitely be lighter.