Can I have a Taurus autoloader opinion from some Ruger guys?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
Every automatic pistol I have ever owned was a Ruger or a Browning. But, these new 24/7 G2 Taurus models look intriguing. Are they junk? Will they match Ruger dependability, reliability and take use/abuse as well as a Ruger? How is customer service? I realize I could pose these questions at a Taurus forum, but suspect all I would get is a boatload of glowing "it's the greatest thing in the world" replies. Most of what get's posted here seems to be real world experience from shooters who know what they are doing.

96/44

Blackhawk
I don't have any personal experience with the 24/7 series, I know a few people who have them, and they are very satisfied with them. I do own a PT99, which I absolutely love, and has been 100% flawless for thousands of rounds. I also have a couple Taurus revolvers, which have proven to be tough and accurate, as well as nicely finished. I don't know about their customer service, since I've never had to use it, but I have heard mixed reviews.

Gunner70

Bearcat
I don't know abot the G2 but I have a couple of 24/7's, a OSS, and never had any problems out of any of them. The 24/7's have 1000+ rounds thru them. My wife has a PT111Ti that broke on us at the range several weeks back. Sent it to Taurus for a full FREE repair. Had it back in about 4 weeks. Customer Svc was great. I have heard that Taurus use to have serious quality issues, but mine have all been aces! I trust them as much as my Glocks, Rugers, XD's etc...

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I have a PT1911 and it's been accurate and flawless with any ammo I've tried in it. Very tightly fitted. One grip screw did come loose. I'm somewhere around 2500 rounds in to it.

The trigger is better than some of the custom Kimbers that show up at the club. I like it.

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Like a couple of others, I don't have the 24/7 but do have the PT99 and a PT58 (.380 acp) and enjoy both. I haven't had any problems with either one. I use the 99 to qualify with for my CHL each time and that says a lot. Very accurate. I did have a PT22 that the firing pin broke on. Sent it back and it was fixed for free. Taurus offers a lifetime warranty and seem to stand behind it. I don't think you'll go wrong with getting one.

Just my .02 worth.

mactex

Bearcat
I have not played with the 24/7 line, but I did own a PT-145 for a while. The gun shot accurately and reliably right out of the box and I liked it except for one niggly detail; the mag release was situated such that my grip on the weapons would activate it while shooting. It was also activated while in my holsters from time to time. Since I was wanting a carry piece I traded the Taurus in for something else. If it hadn't been for the magazine ejection issue I would have kept the gun.

I've used Taurus customer service a couple of times and found it was a mixed blessing. They will make the problem right. However, it may take them forever to turn around the gun and get it back to you.

Spikess

Bearcat
The only Taurus auto I own is a PT 1911. Had some problems early on, but it's been good since, and feeds "most" hollow points well. I've never had to deal with their CS before, so I can't comment on that. But then, I've never had to deal with Ruger CS either. So......

A good friend of mine has the 24/7 OSS .45acp and likes it fine. I'm not sure how many rounds through it yet, but from what I've seen it really does shoot well. Accurate and light on recoil.

As a side: The local college here has one of two police academies in our state. Just last week, two officer cadets were using 24/7's and they both broke during qualification. I didn't get exactly what it was that happened, but they didn't seem too happy. (go figure?) But.....a Glock bit the dust during qualification as well. And we all know "Glocks Just Don't Do That", right??? Sometimes, things just happen. :oops:

I also own a Ruger P95. And I'm not trying to speak for anyone else here. But while I "would" buy another Ruger, I probably won't ever buy another Taurus. Just call it a "gut feeling".

Chris1

Bearcat
I had a millenium pro 9mm (I think it was a pt111 not sure though) and a pt-92. they were both great guns when properly cleaned and oiled, but if I went to the range a 2nd time without cleaning, there were a lot of FTE issues. I had bad experiences with both of my tauruses and will probably never own a taurus automatic again. I have owned sigs, glocks m&p's, sigmas, berettas, rugers, and h&k's and the only auto that I will never buy again is a Taurus. I know that most disagree with me and have great success with them but not me. They make great revolvers and I would not hesitate to buy one of those if I was in the market but I'm done with their autos.

Before people go bashing me for not maintaining my firearms, let me explain. I can put hundreds of rounds through any of the other autos I have owned and they work well. My tauruses both cleaned and not had more fte's and ftf's than any other gun I have owned. I clean my guns usually after every use, but I want to know that if i don't clean it every 100 rounds that I could still depend on it and tauruses were not it.

I have never owned a 24/7 and have no opinion on that model.

bub

Single-Sixer
Go do some reading over at www.taurusarmed.net and see if there have been problems reported. I'm wanting a smaller, concealed-carry-type 9mm and was looking at the Taurus PT708 Slim. Like most Taurus guns, it seems that, if you are going to have a problem, most times it will pop up early and you can send it to get fixed. If it holds up for several hundred rounds, chances are it will be a good gun. I still need to get my hands around one and see how it fits me. We'll see how it works out.

Bub

zbird

Bearcat
I had a pt111 pro 9mm,that was 100% relible. The only thing I did not like was how easy the mag diconnect button was to push in. I had the magazine pop out unknowinly a couple times. Mabe the 24/7 g2 won't have the same problem as it has mag disconnect botton on both sides (perhaps more spring tension on the button). By the way, that is why I sold the gun.

stchman

Bearcat
I own a Raging Bull .44 Magnum and like it. It is a HEAVY gun and I bought it as an ego thing.

I have never had to deal with Taurus CS as the revolver has never given me any problems. I have heard that Taurus takes a very long time to repair your firearm once received. Again this is what I have heard and it is not from personal experience.

Would I ever buy another Taurus, probably not as I want my new firearms to be American made by American companies. That is my decision so please do not tell me I am wrong.