Can I get a Bisley grip for my LCR?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Ok, now that I've got your attention I would like to introduce myself. This is my first post. My name is Matt. So, I thought I would try to break the ice on here with a funny subject title for my first post. Anyway, I have a short story to share.

Back when I was 21 years old (I'm now 33) I purchased a used, NM Blackhawk, blue, in 357 Mag, from a fellow service member. He was asking $150 cash for this piece. I was all over it like white on rice for that price. After running full speed to the ATM, I gladly took the revolver off of his hands, then rushed home to clean and inspect my new friend (yes, I personify my firearms). The desire to fire this puppy was indeed high to say the least.

I had never owned a SA revolver before this time. Just several weeks prior to buying the BH I had picked up a stainless SBH, with a 7 1/2" barrel, in 44 Mag for my father as a Christmas present. My leave was cut short and I didn't get the chance to shoot my dad's SBH before shipping out. I picked up my dad's "gift gun" for $125 from the recruiter who put me in the Corps. He was short on cash and needed to drum up some money for bills. Folks, I'm telling you....there was something in the air at that time. The moon and stars must have been aligned just right. Who gets the chance to buy two of the greatest guns ever made, in a matter of weeks, for such great prices?

Anyway, back to the blackhawk. When I got the blackhawk I was stationed out in Yuma, Arizona. Talk about a great part of the country for plinking. After cleaning the heck out of my new Ruger I gathered up several of my Marine buddies for a day at the range. We had taken, along with us, 2 Russian Tula SKS's (of the $75 late 90's price variety) and my Winchester 94 in 30-30. My dad bought the 30-30 for me the year I was born for $65. Have these prices made anybody sick yet?

Eager to shoot the 357 I brought that one out first. The NM BH came with some high-end leather which I was wearing, strapped to my belt with pride. So, after kicking around at the local desert-dump for several minutes we stumbled upon a newly discarded TV set. It sat there, on an old flattened pampers box, in all of it's glorious beauty. The tube was just begging to be hammered out by some 125 grain SJHP's.

By now you guys are probably thinking that this part of the story is going to end up in one of two ways. Let me tell you this. I'll never forget what happened. I pulled the BH out of it's holster, pointed it, ready on the left -ready on the right, line secure.....cocked the hammer back and pulled the trigger. I was in the offhand position, support hand at my side, standing about 30 yards from the 21" TV, when I fired my first SA shot.

What happened? Well, I wasn't REALLY aiming for the TV. I just sort of tossed a round down range. But guess what? My 125 grain bullet hit the tube of that TV as square as can be. It looked like a smoke grenade had gone off upon impact. This brought out a roar of dog barks from my neandrethal-like pals. I ended up shooting about 200 factory loads, that day, in the desert. I have loved Ruger pruducts ever since.

I went home, that day, hooked on Ruger revolvers. I have bought and sold many more Rugers since the time of this story. Which brings me to the next chapter.....REGRET!!! That BH was sold several weeks after I had bought it. I found myself in a situation where I needed money for my wedding and flipped it to a friend. The thing is....I didn't realize at the time what a special gun I had owned. I mean, I was like JW with that thing, no joke. The BH hit were it was pointed with shocking accuracy and from all positions. I'm sure some of the members of this forum know the type of "holy grail" super-accurate revolvers to which I am refering.

Some memories are priceless and this story fits into that category for me. I still compare the pointability of all handguns to that of my old blackhawk. I have read many comments, from forum members, on here, that say something to the effect of, "if at all possible....hold on to your guns" and things like, "I kick myself every day for ever letting that one go." Gents, this is good advice. The collective bits of wisdom found on these pages is touching and endless. Let me take this time to thank you all for being here. Some places just feel like home to a guy, ya know?

So, I'll save the story about my dad's SBH for another time. Perhaps further down on this thread if it gets some decent attention. I've got a full gun safe worth of Ruger stories to tell. Unfortunately, I also have an empty safe worth of regrets too, which is....i guess, the central theme of this post.

skip

Single-Sixer
You didn't say which Bisley...would it be the new Vaquero Bisley or the older larger framed one you would like to fit...? I'm sure it can be fitted, but if I were you I would take the time to find the right pistolsmith and make sure you get an estimate in writting...?
Great story...I would love to shoot a tv with my .45 Vaquero, got one you don't need?

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum Bear Hawk.

I bet we all have those stories..the ones that got away. I often tell my wife the whole history behind my purchases....I traded this one to sell that one to buy this one. She said I should write them down sometime so when I leave this old world with the guns, the stories will be with them.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Welcome.

The Bisley model LCR is due out as TALO edition with Pachmayr rubber baby buggy bumpers standard. Should make it interesting for pocket carry.

-- Sam

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Here's the funny thing....I posted this thread topic just as a goof. Ya know, just for laughs. But the more I think about it the more I can't stop thinking about what an LCR would look like with a nice set of custom wood grips on it. Do you guys know if anybody is making such a beast? I would entertain the thought of buying a set for my LCR. If anything else it's something new to talk about....

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I read the title and thought,, uh-oh, another wierd gun project.
Then I read the post & had to chuckle,,! You'll fit right in,,,!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Something like this??? :D :D

LCR.jpg

...Jimbo

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Jimbo,

Is this the model that comes with the coveted lock on the other side of the frame? Somehow, I had a feeling we would end up seeing some photo shop FrankenRugers out of this post. However, I am now feeling inspired in some strange way. Let's see who can come up with the most outlandish of creations, shall we? Maybe Ruger will fire up some new tooling for one of our genuis designs some day!

cal45

Bearcat
I would like to get a set of boot grips for the LCR. Don't suppose anyone has heard of any on the market?

speedhunter

Bearcat
i want one with a bisley grip AND a buttstock for stroking bad guys!... and a sling!...and scope!...bipod!

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Yeah, you 'hooked me' too, with that title.

Good story; enjoyed reading it, and welcome ! you'll fit right in here!

And that pic of the LCR/K-frame combo. . . . . what a hoot Jimbo! I can always get my daily dose of good chuckles here, as well as a lot of good info.