Can anyone point me to where an open carry was shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Can anyone point me to where an open carry was shot by the bad guy doing bad. My searches come up with people shot but not for open carry. Looking for dates 2000 or later. Open carry is bad is more a magazine writer thing to sell their magazine. It's like the bit about the .32 ACP not being a good round. Dad liked it much better in a Colt 1903 than a 1911A1 in .45 ACP in Germany in 1945-47. He carried a 1903 till he died.

My father did not like the 1911 and he had a Colt 1903 like that when he first landed at Inchon but traded it for a S&W 38. which he kept strapped to his chest all the way through... up to the Chosen and back down....

I'm sure some open carrier somewhere has been shot at some point in time either by a bad guy or even a good guy....

diyj98

Single-Sixer
If he'd been in a combat area during WWII, he may have felt differently about choosing a 32acp over the 45acp.

I don't remember reading about someone being shot while open carrying, but I don't know if it's something that would normally be picked up in a newspaper article on a shooting. I have heard of uniformed cops being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting shot. I'm sure the uniform and gun on their side contributed to them being shot first.

Last edited:

dweis

Blackhawk
I carried a M1911 in Nam. When it became evident it was time to stop shooting the cameras and start shooting the pistol I can assure all who read this that I never wished I had had a M1903 or any other 32 caliber handgun. Sure, it can be used for self-defense just as a 22 cal can. But the fact that it can be used does not make it a better choice.

I've open carried for a long time. OC does attract attention, no question about it. I've been harassed by cops, whined at by pacifists, and snarled at by anti-gunners. Numerous times there was big bubble around me apparently because people were afraid-so what. But I was never assaulted or shot because some bad guy wanted to 'take me out first'.
That oft-used comment about the 'shoot me first vest' commonly worn by concealed carriers is also questionable. A relative who is in the LEO field cautioned me that the vest I wore was very similar to the 'standard issue' vest that he and the other probation officers wore and I might be mistaken for such. This hasn't got me shot yet, either.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I would bet that there have been a larger number who have had their firearms taken by bad guys than actually shot. Especially the Fudds at Wal-mart "carrying" OC in a cheap nylon Uncle Mike's "fit all". I see them constantly

harley08

Blackhawk
Open carry - You go into a grocery store, you are carrying concealed another guy is carrying open, the robber comes in shoots the guy open carrying then you shoot the robber.

Paul B

Hunter
About the only time I open carry is when I'm out in the desert or in the mountains on a hike. Something due to physical handicap I can no longer do. However, I did just open carry but decided to stop. I do most of my grocery shopping in two places, a super Walmart and Costco for certain items. Costco is a no firearms allowed place so what they can't see won't hurt me. Yeah, I know. Walmart of the other hand, especially this time of year usually has a bunch of snowbirds who migrate from their east of the Mississippi domiciles to roost here in Arizona because of the warmer weather. After a few times seeing people with a shocked look kind of scurry away from me. not to mention being confronted about the weapon on my hip I decided out of sight, out of mind. The irony of it all is we are a true constitutional state. If you come here from out of state, you too can carry concealed, no permit necessary. I also have a CCW permit as I do travel out of state. Some states have constitutional carry for their residents only but recognize my CCW. It keeps things simple. Like Mr. Ayoob infers, no use scaring the sheep.
Paul B.

Not exactly the answer to the question asked. But worthy of mention, In Oregon I know of 2 cases of CCW holders were taking on a bad guys when police arrived, they spun around with a gun in their hand to face the police and were shot. As I recall neither dropped the weapon when challenged by the police. Thats means police yell "Drop the gun."

arcee

Bearcat
I open carry a lot of the time when I am doing something that needs my gun with me, especially on my own property.

If I am out in the back clearing brush etc when the snakes are around, I like my s/a 7 1/2" 327 magnum single 7. I load it with .32 s&w long target wad cutters. I can break lifesaver candies at 10 feet which makes it a deadly snake shooter and not too loud.

This pistol is too long to be a ccw but perfect for "out and about". When 3 or 4 of the chambers are filled with the 100 gr American Eagle JSP in .327 it becomes a great gun for the coy's, racoons, and other encounters. I just have a big old leather cross-draw holster which is easy to manage when sitting down or driving.

There are times when I might stop into a convenience store to coffee up and get gas. It's nice to be in a state that doesn't make me strip off my cross draw to go to a bathroom.

Outside of combat tours done in my 23 years of active duty Army, I have never been accosted when doing an open carry. BTW, is my rifle rack with my 45/70 lever gun considered open carry too?

Just an old guys perspective.
v/r rc

Last edited:
I open carry a lot of the time when I am doing something that needs my gun with me, especially on my own property.

If I am out in the back clearing brush etc when the snakes are around, I like my s/a 7 1/2" 327 magnum single 7. I load it with .32 s&w long target wad cutters. I can break lifesaver candies at 10 feet which makes it a deadly snake shooter and not too loud.

This pistol is too long to be a ccw but perfect for "out and about". When 3 or 4 of the chambers are filled with the 100 gr American Eagle JSP in .327 it becomes a great gun for the coy's, racoons, and other encounters. I just have a big old leather cross-draw holster which is easy to manage when sitting down or driving.

There are times when I might stop into a convenience store to coffee up and get gas. It's nice to be in a state that doesn't make me strip off my cross draw to go to a bathroom.

Outside of combat tours done in my 23 years of active duty Army, I have never been accosted when doing an open carry. BTW, is my rifle rack with my 45/70 lever gun considered open carry too?

Just an old guys perspective.
v/r rc
I carry a 45/410 for snake duty with #4 shot. The 300gr in the other barrel should dissuade any other critters.

I've always maintained that once enough people open carry in a given environment it will have a real deterrent effect upon crime. I well recall working as a waiter at a catering hall where a wedding for the daughter of a police captain was held. When the men took off their jackets, revealing shoulder holsters on about three quarters of the guests, my boss remarked that this was probably the most unlikely place that anyone would attempt a robbery. I think that is still true. But when in a given situation only one person is open carrying, it seems logical that the criminal intending on committing a robbery will as a minimum attempt to disarm that person, and just as likely will just shoot that person. So I intend to carry concealed until and when I routinely see many people in every setting open carrying. At that point I just might join them. Personally, I doubt that this will ever come to be a reality, at least in my lifetime.

...Concealed Carry vs Open Carry is a hot button topic among the firearms community...

I guess I'm the exception. It makes sense to me, to simply adjust to the environment (everything from location to weather to specific firearm to personal health/skill level/etc.). So, some days and some places it's CC, and some days and some places it's OC. But generally speaking, we gunowners (& maybe human beings in general) sure do like to argue a lot over theory! When it comes to this topic at least, I'll let the experts figure out who's 'right' and who's 'wrong' (and then probably ignore the 'answer')!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Ranger

Single-Sixer
There have been several instances where the gun was stolen from someone open carrying. I'd like the option; but wouldn't exercise it much in town.