Can a Ruger Security Six withstand

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
a constant diet of 357 mag full charge using 125 grain bullets? I plan to take a 4" Security SIx bull barrel to my smith in the near future to work his magic on it.

I have multiple and current reloading manuals and never exceed the lowest maximum charge that the combined manuals provide. All reloads start low and work up until I reach the max charge level or sooner if I find a really accurate charge lower than max.

My Maximum has the flame cut because the previous owner's need for speed using 110 grain bullets caused flame cutting.

usbp sw

Bearcat
The Ruger Security Six is a robust revolver, I used one for many years, using a steady diet of the 110gr jacketed hollow points. The revolver showed erosion but seemed to taper off over time. Loading manuals publish data based on the weakest firearms that the loadings could be used in, for .357 the j-frame and k-frame Smith and Wesson offerings would be the weakest. The Security Six and GP100 are much stronger designs and capable of withstanding much higher pressure. Personally, I never felt the need to approach the upper limits of any firearm loading potential. I always preferred to enjoy the shooting experience without bloodshed.

rmc25

Single-Sixer
I agree with the no bloodshed part. When I reload I use starting loads and work up to find the best accuracy. If the accuracy and full charge happened to be the same I just wondered if the Security Six would hold up.

Loads have changed over the years. If you have some loading manuals from the 70's to mid-late 80's, go to the .357 Mag and compare the loads then with the loads in the books now. I think you will find that the loads today are not as "hot" as the loads then. And since the Six series revolvers were produced from 1970 to 1988, think of the loads that people back then might have used (which were probably hotter than todays loads - just sayin')

usbp sw

Bearcat
The Ruger Security Six and GP100 are the strongest revolvers of all that are currently available. Only the Redhawk series are more robust. The Smith and Wesson N-frame may appear more substantial but the position of the cylinder stop is a weak point, placed in the thinnest part of the cylinder wall. Ruger is a better design in this regard, the barrel extension is another area of strength in the Ruger design, there is very little, unsupported protrusion of the barrel inside the frame. Ruger has always over engineered their revolvers. That makes them my choice to shoot without being concerned about damage or excessive wear.

gunzo

Buckeye
A full & constant diet of max loads these days can be an investment of coin in it self. "Assuming" you want to do that, the cost doesn't seem to be problem one, just life expectancy.
With that in mind I have flippant idea of, obtaining a second Security Six while they are somewhat available. When/if the first one goes down for the count, review the count & load, plus future plans for the next one & adjust accordingly... or, obtain a third revolver.

Not really an off the wall idea IMO.

Last edited: