Can a Goldenrod harm wood stocks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Is there any concern about using a goldenrod in a safe with wood stocks? Seems like it should be an obvious No, but I just want to double check with guys who have a lot more experience than I do.

Also, is there an ideal humidity range for guns?

Many thanks!
TomD

contender

Ruger Guru
As long as the rod doesn't touch anything, (as it shouldn't) no problems. Plastics, rubber in direct contact MAY suffer some possible damage.

I keep a humidity meter in my safe & keep my humidity around 35%.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys! Ordered one today and will set up a monitor to watch the action. My basement seems to go as humid as about 60 in the summer with the AC nearby. Hopefully this will take the edge off this summer!

TomD

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Cracker-American said:
What is a goldenrod please

A Goldenrod is essentially a space heater for your gun safe. It plugs in and provides a gentle warmth in the safe to dry out the air inside. They don't get hot to the touch, just warm.

https://www.amazon.com/LOCKDOWN-Goldenrod-Original-Dehumidifier-18-Inch/dp/B00CYBDFWI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=goldenrod&link_code=qs&qid=1588604692&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-2

Aqualung

Aqualung said:
Cracker-American said:
What is a goldenrod please

A Goldenrod is essentially a space heater for your gun safe. It plugs in and provides a gentle warmth in the safe to dry out the air inside. They don't get hot to the touch, just warm.

Aqualung

Also, it warms the air around it which causes that air to rise and the cooler air to fall creating airflow. My wood stocks and rubber grips all look brand new, the humidity in my safe is around 35% in the winter and 40% in the summer.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I have No Golden Rod and have No Problems Just saying! ps"

A lot depends upon what part of the country you live in. Humidity is different, in different areas. Places with more humidity are served by such things as the GoldenRod.

rmc25

Single-Sixer
I've had a Golden Rod in the safe for about 15 years. No damage to anything, wood or otherwise. I also have silica gel canisters that get recharged regularly.
rmc

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the advice. Two months in and they are working great. Humidity in the room is about 57-60% and it's 50-51% in the safes. When things get to 60% in the summer, thanks to the A/C unit nearby, I get nervous. The goldenrods are great. In the winter then I'll turn them off and the whole house humidifier comes on as things will start to get too dry, thanks to the heater unit. One day a more climate controlled room but for now things look good. Thanks all!