Came very close to being scammed out of $1000

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikezohsix

Bearcat
I've been on the hunt for a mini-14, kinda gave up on getting a late model used one on GunBroker, and decided to buy a new one. The new ones on GB seemed more than what I would pay a dealer directly. Searched local gun shops, and none of the flavor (wood stock with stainless barrel) I chose to be found. So I started the internet search using the UPC code number. Found a few at $999, and one at $929. and a bunch a bit over a grand that showed up on Wikiarms. Started the buy process on the $929 rifle with Texas Firearms and Ammo. I ordered the gun, shipping with insurance, and two extra mags. Got cold feet when they asked for PayPal Friends and Family. Sought guidance from a friend, who reviewed the website, and declared the site to be fairly sophisticated, so expensive, so must be ok. Reached out to them by email and phone, and got standard responses from email, and no return call. Started doing a web search and found that these guys use a half dozen different similar names, but all the same website, physical address and phone number.

Moral of the story, this wasn't a too good to be true deal, so don't rely on that old adage. Do your due diligence or buy from a reputable shop.
Happy ending (I hope), my Mini is ordered with Battlehawk Armory, just waiting the FFL dance.

I checked out their web site, quite impressive.... the one odd thing is when you click on contact us.... no street address anywhere that I can find.

SWR

Single-Sixer
The listed address is someones house in Duncanville Texas

mikezohsix

Bearcat
When I checked it was a pawn shop. Their website had a large collection of new and used guns, so I figured it might be an online entity.

I could not find an address on the web site... must have missed it.. they could be scammers or they could be ex-telemarketers that just like to stretch the truth a bit in their marketing plan. One odd thing was at the very bottom of the home page it seems the developer did not complete filling out the information and the original 'junk' example is left in: Under both the items of Business Performance and 24x7 is written: "Many variations of at Lorem Ipsum but the majority have suffered. Lorem Ipsum the majority suffered."

G2

Hunter
Just the fact that they wanted Payment by PayPal… Firearms & PayPal don’t mix,,,

then the request for friends & family,,,,
That is really the “Trusted” and provides NO protection, refund, etc… “Sir you sent money to your known and trusted, they can send it back.

I dislike the PP rules, but it is their business.

mikezohsix

Bearcat
Just the fact that they wanted Payment by PayPal… Firearms & PayPal don’t mix,,,

then the request for friends & family,,,,
That is really the “Trusted” and provides NO protection, refund, etc… “Sir you sent money to your known and trusted, they can send it back.

I dislike the PP rules, but it is their business.
Ultimately it is the PP F&F payment requirements that made me wonder and look further, confirming the scam.

mikeAZ

Bearcat
They are here/everywhere ..... Just post a WTB ad and see what happens. Run, if you get a low offer on what you're looking for and a "Hey man" opening for an example.. SCAMMER, most likely..

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
There are lots of websites purporting to be Ruger/Marlin/S&W/etc. with really good prices and always in stock that take only cashapp, bitcoin, Zelle, etc. payments that you will never see the item or your money again. You will also notice there is no provision to choose an FFL dealer to accept your shipment. The ATF will not go after them as no actual firearm sale is involved and no prosecution for scamming either because they are an internet entity and no way or too much time/money/trouble to arrest the actual people.
If they will not accept a credit card and have a provision to select a FFL dealer for shipment, DON'T DO IT !!! Credit card purchases can be reversed within 60 days unless they changed that to more or less days.

mikezohsix

Bearcat
There are lots of websites purporting to be Ruger/Marlin/S&W/etc. with really good prices and always in stock that take only cashapp, bitcoin, Zelle, etc. payments that you will never see the item or your money again. You will also notice there is no provision to choose an FFL dealer to accept your shipment. The ATF will not go after them as no actual firearm sale is involved and no prosecution for scamming either because they are an internet entity and no way or too much time/money/trouble to arrest the actual people.
If they will not accept a credit card and have a provision to select a FFL dealer for shipment, DON'T DO IT !!! Credit card purchases can be reversed within 60 days unless they changed that to more or less days.
You got it exactly right.

Latest posts