Callshot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
One of the things I was looking forward to my trip to Idaho, was meeting the infamous 'Callshot'. I've always looked forward to his witty responses to Dicks posts. Before I left for my trip, I did some checking on my computer. Seems Callshot has 14, 000 acres of hidden, prime huckleberry country. He's slick ! He goes aroud town, handing out free huckleberry shakes, not unlike a big city drug dealer, giving free samples out to get you hooked. I should have known better. One scoop of huckleberry shake, and I was hooked. Did you notice I said scoop ? These shakes are so thick, it's more like a custard, than shake.

elk057.jpg

You can learn alot about a man while sharing a huckleberry shake. I knew Callshot had several physical handicaps. He's missing his trigger finger, has a bad back, one leg is shorter than the other(tho being the optimist, he says one is longer than the other), besides that, he's in pretty good shape. I had to excuse myself from the table while partaking in the consumption of Callshots candy, and told him to keep an eye on my drink. With that, he removed his eye glasses, and popped out his right eye with a resounding thunk, and placed it on the top of my shake, and said, "Is this good enough". I didn't know what to do .

Seems Callshot lost his eye in a tragic hunting accident, a few years back. He was working the night shift, and learned the necessary skill of being able to sleep with one eye open, in case the supervisor checks on you, uexpectedly. Well, Callshot was hunting one day, got a little tired, and sat down at the base of a tree, and fell asleep. Unbeknownst to him, his training kicked in, and he kept his right eye open while snoozing away. A woodpecker posted on his nose, and saw its reflection in Callshots eye, and started pecking away.

Being a resourcefull kind of guy, Callshot first used a ball bearing, to fill the empty socket. This lasted a few days, as when he drove home from work, the oncoming headlights would reflect off his eye, blinding the drivers with their own headlight beam. He finally figured out why all the oncoming traffic was running off the road. He next tried one of his kids shooter marbles, a cats eye, I believe. Well, the neighborhood cats took to following him , and the church wanted to perform an exorcism on him.

Callshot got to thinking, and remembered he had a taxidermist buddy. For a while, he had the eye of a hawk, but it kept falling out. He finally settled on a mule deer eye, and has been using it ever since.

I know Dick and others ride Callshot about his shooting abilities, but when you take into account his dominant eye is made of glass, and he closes his weak eye to shoot, and he's missing half his trigger finger, it's pretty amazing he does as well as he does. Tho, he is tough to keep up with while walking across the side of the mountain. Since one leg is longer, Callshot is standing perfectly straight, and gets around darn good. He always finds the silver lining in a dark cloud.

On my last day at Dicks, I was getting the shakes and tremors pretty bad. Dick called Callshot, told him I was in withdrawal, and Callshot responded.

elk056.jpg

Here's Dick, reaching for a huckleberry shake, to get to me. I was too weak to move. Mine was done, while Dick was just getting started.

elk060.jpg

After 3 huckleberry shakes, I was back on my feet.

elk059.jpg

It was GREAT meeting you Steve, and your lovely wife, Betty. Take care buddy, and I hope we see each other again.

Jeff

I don't usually laugh out loud while reading the computer, but this is just plain funny. Very well written. Huckleberry shakes, who would have thunk it. Thanks!

mt

Single-Sixer
Now THAT's a story that could easily reach legend status. This forum needs more legends don't you know!

mt :D

callshot

Blackhawk
In order to defend the innocent (ME) I will have to with hold my comments for a little longer. I need time to recouperate and am still writing down my authentic version of the afore going events. All I can say for now is, " WHAT A WASTE OF GOOD BERRIES." I could have eaten them later and they would have lasted all winter. Next time I see you I'll just get you a glass of water. If you are not careful, your likeness will be up on Mt. Rushmore along side of sixshots. Keep smiling, ole friend, and I'll keep an eye out for you. Steve AKA callshot, aka cantshoot, aka ET.

callshot

Blackhawk
:D Howdy guys. This is Mrs. Callshot\Can'tshoot :D Reporting in. I never knew There was so much Bull#$%@ floating around! :lol: You people are able dish out your share, and then a little extra for good measure! :p It was great To meet you! :D Mrs. Callshot\Can'tshoot\Et

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I'm surprised you don't know the rules on being a member of the Ruger Forum, Mrs. C. We are sworn to oath to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, on this here forum. To do otherwise would mean to face dire consequences. I to, enjoyed our visit the other day. I wasn't sure where Steve was taking me, but brought some duct tape, cotton balls, some pain killer, just in case. We got pulled over by the local authorities, and the officer asked Steve if he was drinking, on account of his eye looking bloodshot. I explained that he assisted me in gutting my cow elk that day, and while exerting himself, his glass eye fell out, into the chest cavity, and probably didn't get all the blood off.

When asked to walk a straight line, Callshot kept walking in circles, on account of that longer leg. He recited the alphabet in Swahili, when asked to do so. At this point, the officer was getting really frustrated, and called for K-9, with drug capablities. When the dog arrived, he gave a positive response to the area of the trunk. When asked what he had in there, Callshot responded, "Huckleberries". That did it ! the Officer was reaching for her cuffs. I did my best to stall that officer, and told her to open the trunk, I gave the consent, as Callshot was now getting really nervous.

When the trunk popped open, there they were. Dozens of gallon bags filled with huckleberries. On top, were several pages of printed coupons for milkshakes at the Artic Circle.

The female officer, K-9 officer, and dog, all had a good laugh. We all met at the Artic circle, for huckleberry shakes. I can swear to the above mentioned events, as I was there !

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I know some of you folks may think that I have exaggerated, or embelished, some of my stories. Heck, some of you, may not even believe it actually happened. Over the years, I've learned that fact is often stranger, or harder to believe than fiction. To remove any doubt, of my recollections, to the events that took place, I am know backing up my facts with more photos. It pains me greatly, that you have questioned any facet of the true events, that have taken place .

eye.jpg

Here's Callshots kids shooter marble, the one he used for an eye, after the ball bearing.

berrybush.jpg

Here's a sample of Callshots personal huckleberry stash.

moreberries.jpg

dsc04118huckleberry.jpg

Here's a few photos from the local sherriff's evidence room. The huckleberries were recovered from Callshots trunk, the night we were stopped. After, a good laugh, Callshot was released, and we treated all the sherriff's to a huckleberry shake. Callshot was upset that his private stash was shared by so many, cutting into his winter supply, needed for hibernation.
betty.jpg

Here's Pocahontas, Callshots beautifull wife. I know she partook in the overconsumption of fermented huckleberry juice, when she agreed to marry Callshot.
bigfoot.jpg

Here's Callshot, hunting for snipe. He got lost, because he kept walking in circles, on account of that longer leg.

Callshot is a great guy, and someone I consider a great friend. I may joke around alot with him, but it is all in jest. Good natured ribbing, doesn't necessarily mean, ribbing in good taste. I hope to share many more huckleberry shakes with my new found friend :D

callshot

Blackhawk
Mrs. Callshot here to speak with you gents for a minute. I'm sure glad you enjoyed the hucklberry milk shakes. In my opinion, they are the only way to go. :D :D if I had known Callshot was going to show me off in his favorite elephant blanket, I would have changed into something better. :lol: life has a way of throwing unexpected curve balls. It may take away the use of my legs, but it doesn't have to take away my sense of humor :D :D. Hey Jeff, I'm real glad you enjoyed the beautiful scenery in our area! :D :D

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Beautifull scenery, only bettered by the beautifull people I met ! :D

You keep that frisky spirit up, Pocahontas ! And check in a little more often. I love to hear from you ! :D

contender

Ruger Guru
+1 to Jeff's above post. Sorry I didn't get to meet ya while I was there! Steve musta been too busy guarding those huckleberries! :D