Calling Me Crazy But...BH For Concealed Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Here's a "belly gun" for backup!....Dennis
moreb-gun.jpg

nn

Single-Sixer
Why not, I often use a N frame and have used a Redhawk.

Eli Chaps

Bearcat
Bucks Owin":5vdd1jmd said:
moreb-gun.jpg

Now that is a neat little thumper. I reckon shell extraction is a very hands on affair there. Very cool gun.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Eli Chaps":37bf7zxa said:
Bucks Owin":37bf7zxa said:

Now that is a neat little thumper. I reckon shell extraction is a very hands on affair there. Very cool gun.
Not mine (dang it) so I can't say, but I'm thinking that as long as there was no "sticky" empty case and they all fell out, one might be able to involve a speed loader here with some practice and reload faster than a SA with ejector rod. It is a fearsome looking lil' devil alright!...Just musing, Dennis

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
Sounds like a Texas CCW gun.
Some Judge was complaining about the number of holes the
bad guys were getting from autos and said that you were
to shoot and then wait to see if another shot was needed
not go Gl##k the guy.
The single action allowed people to argue that since the gun needed to
be cocked , there was time to evaluate the need for another shot.
[

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Welcome to the forum.

The more I shoot single actions, the more I've been thinking about it myself. A little birdshead Vaquero, something like that. At my age and location, it's not like I'm going into the "bad part of town" at 2am. I cannot imagine a situation in my life in which I'd be surrounded by an armed gang (that is, needing high capacity/fast reloads).

Then again, after carrying my S&W N-frame 624 for a while, I'm remembering the joy of nice, thin, flat 1911s that don't poke me in the ribs. That gun has taught me that a good holster and belt truly will let you carry the weight without problem. The overall size (printing) and the thickness (poking) can still present problems unless you're careful.

-- Sam

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
If I had a CCW I'm sure it would conceal just fine :)

PA310002.jpg

I added a 45 acp cylinder and can carry extra rounds and reload using 1911 magazines. I'm with most folks, 5 or 6 shots should get me out of harms way.

leejack

Single-Sixer
The Blackhawk is my favorite gun!

As hard as it feels under the pillow, I sleep like a baby when it's nearby! :wink: It may not be the fastest gun to load, but I know how to unload mine in a hurry if needed!

Lee

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Winter time....yes, it gets cool enough for a jacket down here, has found me cc'ing an OM Blackhawk .357 in the inside pocket of a Wrangler jacket.
Seems a birdshead grip on a New Vaquero .45 cut to 3 1/2", a custom project for sure, would be great!

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Dobetown":1yoa4ph8 said:
Why not, if you can handle it. It may be fun to see what some of the new age LEO would do about identifying or clearing it. I use to work with a reserve LEO that would gualify with one. Only the reloads slowed him down and not by much.

About 15 years ago, my dad confronted some guys that were breaking into the neighbor's car. My mom called the police, and he walked out with his 357 on his side. He never raised it, but they could see it, and were very cooperative about sitting on the curb and waiting for the police to arrive. When the cops got there, they told my dad to put the gun down and kick it away. My dad told them there was no way in hell he was gonna kick his gun across the pavement, but he'd set it down and step away from it. Then, after cuffing the other guys, the cop had to come back over to my dad, and ask him how to check if the gun was loaded. We lived in a very quiet suburb, so these cops never saw much action.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
slippingaway":uxp2nd0x said:
Dobetown":uxp2nd0x said:
Why not, if you can handle it. It may be fun to see what some of the new age LEO would do about identifying or clearing it. I use to work with a reserve LEO that would gualify with one. Only the reloads slowed him down and not by much.

About 15 years ago, my dad confronted some guys that were breaking into the neighbor's car. My mom called the police, and he walked out with his 357 on his side. He never raised it, but they could see it, and were very cooperative about sitting on the curb and waiting for the police to arrive. When the cops got there, they told my dad to put the gun down and kick it away. My dad told them there was no way in hell he was gonna kick his gun across the pavement, but he'd set it down and step away from it. Then, after cuffing the other guys, the cop had to come back over to my dad, and ask him how to check if the gun was loaded. We lived in a very quiet suburb, so these cops never saw much action.
Kick gun across pavement. :shock: :evil: Blanking unbelieveable some folk.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Kick gun across pavement. :shock: :evil: Blanking unbelieveable some folk.[/quote]

Indeed!

How many people carry speedloaders anyway, CCW that is? I always kept them handy, but not on the belt. I always felt fine with the six in the cylinder, with speedloaders nearby. In the city the BH is a little huge, but I'd carry the NV, or .44 spc, but it's probably more of a mental thing.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
JWhitmore44":3qifh10c said:
If I had a CCW I'm sure it would conceal just fine :)

PA310002.jpg

I added a 45 acp cylinder and can carry extra rounds and reload using 1911 magazines. I'm with most folks, 5 or 6 shots should get me out of harms way.

I have not been watching close but I would like to see Ruger make a New Vaquero in the smaller frame with the 3.5-inch barrel and birdshead grip. Add a 45acp cylinder like you said and I could be very happy carying that setup although I do like my Glock 19.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I certainly agree with that choice. I hope it's a big one, like a 45 Colt.

A lot of CAS shooters are faster and more accurate with their SAs than any other choice, mainly because they practice a lot. I carry my Birdshead Sheriff's Vaquero in 45 Colt on occasion. In winter, it is fairly easy to stick in a big coat pocket, or the Mernickle holster is the perfect option.

I always thought if I ever had to pull it, the cavernous muzzle and that cylinder full of gleaming holes would make its intended use unnecessary. I certainly feel more comfortable (safer) carrying a SA than a 1911 cocked and locked. As nice as the BH Sheriff's is, I am really beginning to like the Lipsey's 44 Special too. It is a little slimmer eventhough it has a 4 5/8" barrel. I'm using one of them as a field carry gun quite often these days.

Latest posts