Caes Gages, Reloads, New Factory Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I use case gages for my semi-auto rounds that I reload, I don't check every round coming off the press with them. I run a progressive press and that would really slow me down but I check the first few and spot check at intervals.
I have my dies indexed and locked with the Hornady quick change set-up so change over gets me were I need to be pretty much right away. I even have a lower end for my powder drop so I don't even have to adjust for that height being correct to case length. I of course do a step by step check through my process and run a few dummies just to assure I have things right. My FCD has index marks that I put on it so my adjustment for diameter of any given bullet and any other variables are pretty much locked in. I can change over from 9mm to .45 ACP in about twenty minutes using this system, sometimes getting the powder just right can be a real brain jammer but it comes along normally well enough.

...But this is about case gages.

I've been using them for quite a while I had more expensive ones but they just got beat up and the Lymans I use now do a fine job and only cost about $15 with free Amazon prime shipping.

I'm posting some pics that I found interesting and references some things I've been talking about the last few years. The Lyman gage is a max gage, it will show the max full length diameter, in the case of a 9mm, the designed taper of the case itself, needed to pass as just slightly less than max (max is sticky in the gage). It also checks for proper head space case length and the check is right on the money with a stated .005" under variable being okay for use in a pistol. there is also a couple of other check points that are built in but I check those things with other devices that I find more likely variables that need monitoring.

Here is a pic of the gage and five 9mm rounds. The top round is a factory Remington range pick up laying on a bench, the second one down is a factory Winchester WWB from a 100 round pack that my friend had issues with in his Sig and gave them to me to check out. The middle one is one of my reloads, a Bayou coated Hardcast 147gr FN, next is a another reload using Montana Gold 124gr FMJ bullet in a nickel case, I use a nickel case to keep track of how many times a batch of cases as been reloaded, this batch has been loaded 25 times +1 and the lowest and last is a newly reloaded Berry's Bullet 124gr double plated 124gr RNHB bullet.

The second pic is one with the Winchester WWB round inserted in the gage, all the rounds passed the slip in test and that gage tolerance is a lot tighter than any barrel chamber pulled from any gun, I can tell you that with complete confidence. If it fits in the gage it should easily chamber in any pistol.

Now the third pic is tough to see well but that same Winchester WWB round failed the headspace test badly, like really badly. It was .017" short of being flush with the top index point, even with that .005" leniency, the case will skip over it headspace point in the chamber and will go into the barrel far too much and the brass will engage the rifling. This is caused because Winchester in it's infinite wisdom, at least that day, decided to roll crimp the rounds, all of the ones found in that box, instead of doing a proper taper crimp. My CZ pistols and all Sigs are known for having an abrupt transition from the chamber to the rifling, the extra length allowed going forward due to the loss of a proper headspacing would cause the brass to engage the rifling and therefore the case mouth would not be able to expand and that would cause a huge pressure spike in an already high pressured round. Glocks would also have an issue as the polygonal rifling forms kind of a star shape at the end of the chamber and the beginning of the rifling, that case would be locked into that shape causing the same over pressure situation.

I thought you guys would find this interesting and I would also encourage anyone the reloads for semi-auto pistols to spend the few extra bucks and get a gage, it will save you problems in the long run and help make you a better reloader.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have several and agree with you on their need to be used for all semi auto ammo. I also have one in .45 Colt to check my brass for length. I will set in front of the boob tube and clean primer pockets and check every case for length and damage.
Cowboy action shooters like me run through a lot of brass and seconds lost in a match are costly. Check em and load em and you will have far fewer ammo problems at the big match.
I keep them in the matching die set box.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Good post. It amazes me that I see so many bad factory rounds of ammo. Makes me more confident in my own reloads. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Good post!

A side note. I too use case gauges for my semi-auto pistol rounds. I do check each & every one of mine. I load most of mine on Dillon progressive presses, and use a lot of my ammo in competition. I find that no matter how good things LOOK, I do get a few out of each 1000 I reload that will NOT come even close to passing the case gauge test. I suggest you test them all, as you will find a few out of spec.
The ones that do not pass my case gauge test get marked with a Sharpie, and then when I go to the range for some practice, they get used up then. Occasionally, even then I have issues chambering a few. The ones that won't chamber, get pulled apart. I always scrap the brass in the ones that don't pass the case gauge test.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
contender said:
Good post!

A side note. I too use case gauges for my semi-auto pistol rounds. I do check each & every one of mine. I load most of mine on Dillon progressive presses, and use a lot of my ammo in competition. I find that no matter how good things LOOK, I do get a few out of each 1000 I reload that will NOT come even close to passing the case gauge test. I suggest you test them all, as you will find a few out of spec.
The ones that do not pass my case gauge test get marked with a Sharpie, and then when I go to the range for some practice, they get used up then. Occasionally, even then I have issues chambering a few. The ones that won't chamber, get pulled apart. I always scrap the brass in the ones that don't pass the case gauge test.

Thanks.

I don't compete like I use to but still shoot a lot for fun and practice and the BS stories.
I just travel so much that getting everything together properly in my limited time back home is a giant pain.
I too check every comp round I would be possibly be using from a newer batch of fresher brass (twice, three times fired) of previously loaded rounds before boxing them and basically copy all that you do with some questionable rounds. I really don't find many with my final pre event test but that extra handling once in awhile does show me a primer that I don't like so much. So it gets put in the range/reject box.
I'm not bragging here at all, I chalk it up to good luck and consistency I guess but I really don't get many that don't pass. Even my multi-fired brass for range fodder pass at an alarming good rate.

The best to you guys, have a nice Thanksgiving.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
By checking the brass after full length resizing with the gauge I find that I rarely get a reload that is out of spec. Mostly .45 ACP rounds fail to fully seat in the gauge due to extractor dings.
How I do it...
1... Tumble brass to remove most crud.
2... Full length resize
3... Clean primer pockets and check with the case gauge.
4... Expand and flare cases.
5... Tumble to polish.
6... load em up.
I know that is a lot of steps but this is a hobby and I am retired so I have the time.
My reloads look and shoot better than factory ammo.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm not a "serious" competitor, and as such, my brass has been loaded multiple times. As such, I do get 3-6 out of a 1000 loads that fail the chamber gauge test. Not bad numbers. And, like you, by handling mine more often, I too catch something occasionally I might have missed. I actually place my ammo in trays, nose down, & run my finger across all the primers looking for a high one.
By taking a bit more time with my reloads, I rarely experience AND ammo related failures. (We won't discuss the brain fade failures! :D )