C&R CLEO question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbell1033

Bearcat
Since it's Christmas Day and I can't wait until tomorrow for an answer, I'll ask here. Can someone tell me if the Chief Law Enforcement Officer referred to in the C&R application is the Chief of Police for your city (Phoenix) or the Sheriff of the County (Maricopa)? Thanks in advance, John

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I do believe if your town has it's own chief law enforcement officer you would go that route, if not, such as a small town, you'd go county.

Chance

Buckeye
I mailed the copy of my FFL app to Sheriff Joe since I live in unincorporated Maricopa Country, but would bet yours goes to the Phx chief as he is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the city and would have jurisdiction.

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
I am a C&R holder and either the Police Chief or Sheriff will work. I believe Chance is right about sending his to the Sheriff since he does not live in an incorporated city. The Police Chief (my boss) signed mine and I had no problems obtaining the C&R.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Merry Christmas

jbell1033

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies. I think too, it makes sense living with the city limits I would mail the copy to the police department rather than the sheriff's office. Hope to get it out tomorrow or in Monday's mail. John

Chance

Buckeye
Not sure about a C&R but for a FFL a city/county lisc is required to do business out of your home. Would be a good idea to give the City Planning folks a call Monday a.m to double check their requirements. It may save a lot of waiting down the line.

I am dealing with the County on this right now and it is a major headache. ATF, Dept Revenue and the AG Office were all a piece of cake but the Planning folks are a whole different ball game and are the sole reason ATF has not been able to send my FFL.

XLIV

Single-Sixer
I hand delivered mine to the local COP (within city limits) who signs my CCW. I also use a yellow highlighter pen to underline the part of the page the says 'for information only, no action required'

To address Chance's comment, as a C&R License holder you can not "do business", you are only supposed to buy for your collection and you can make an occasional sale from your collection. So I do not believe there should be any requirement for a business license like an dealer's FFL. JMHO.
FT44

Chance

Buckeye
Just to clerify, "doing business" may not be the proper term for what the Planning Comission is addressing. What exactly I have to get their permission for is ZONING CLEARANCE OF A HOME OCCUPATION.

What that means exactly I have no idea other than seeking their permission to sit in my chair in front of my computer and go out and check my mail box.

The only reason I am doing this is ATF won't mail my FFL until it is done. As each city and county has their own set of requirements it would be worth a phone call Monday morning. I didn't learn of this requirement until ATF informed me they could not send my FFL until it was taken care of.

When dealing with bureaucrats and FEEs, by whatever name, it's a good bet you are going to have to pay some office or another off. By finding out who needs to get paid now it can avoid delays later on.

wildturk

Single-Sixer
The "letter" sent to the CLEO just notifies them you have applied for the C&R 03 FFL, as a "collector. It's just a requirement for getting the C&R, ATF requirement. The CLEO doesn't have to do anything but read the letter, they don't have to sign or do anything.

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
jbell1033":3scbuash said:
Since it's Christmas Day and I can't wait until tomorrow for an answer, I'll ask here. Can someone tell me if the Chief Law Enforcement Officer referred to in the C&R application is the Chief of Police for your city (Phoenix) or the Sheriff of the County (Maricopa)? Thanks in advance, John

If you dial 911 who shows up? There is your answer.

XLIV

Single-Sixer
redsouthpaw":3aqddknh said:
If you dial 911 who shows up? There is your answer.

In some parts of our county if you dial 911 it's picked up by Highway Patrol. They wouldnt be of any help in a C&R question.