buying a 10/22 and upgrading it. Is it durable and reliable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

:D Christmas comming up want to get a 10/22 and do some wistle and bells upgrade. what is your opinion of the basic gun?

9x19

Hunter
I have three of the latest models and they are all good... no issues with function or accuracy.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The 10/22 is such a good platform that there is a whole huge industry built upon the "bells & whistles" people want. Buy one & start building!

Snake45

Hawkeye
One of my go-to guns is a 1966 10/22 I bought used in the late '80s. NO idea how many rounds went through it before I bought it. Not much idea how many I put through it before I started keeping careful records in writing in 2007. I can tell you that at the moment it has about 4,000 rounds through it since its last maintenance--no cleaning, no oiling, nothing. Still going strong. I might clean it this winter. Then again, I might not. :wink:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I just bought my first 10/22 a few months ago and I love it. I want to get another one to build on, and leave the one I have original. Some people don't like them as they come, but I love the little carbine stock.

The problem with your question (don't take this wrong) is it is way too general.... what do you want to do to your 10/22... the sky is pretty much the limit.

You can go in two different directions at least (others please add more):

You can go with a sniper / tack driving design or,

You can go tactical / swat team compact....

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
No probs with my like-new 1968 10-22.

About 11,000 rounds through it.

I will say, that finding a used one for a reasonable price is difficult.

Ended up with another one and it's too nice to tear apart.

Shoots good too....

AR-Trvlr

Bearcat
foxcomp4":c8kh31ao said:
buying a 10/22 and upgrading it. Is it durable and reliable?

Depends on the upgrades, your definition of reliable, and your tolerance for fiddling.

If you're going for target accuracy, people often go to parts that have minimum tolerances - things like tighter chambers on barrels, tighter trigger sets, etc. - the tighter the tolerances the more finicky a rifle can become, especially as it gets dirty.

These issues can often be overcome by using better (and more expensive) ammo, cleaning more often, or tweaking the parts.

If you just want to upgrade the stock or do other cosmetic enhancements, your rifle should keep the reliability that Ruger is known for.

45longcolt

Bearcat
I have had my 10/22 for over 30 years and figure I have shot a good 1/4 million rounds through it. Really. I have gone through a few firing pins and extractors during the years. I was shooting it so much and the firing pin got so bad I made my own while I waited for the new one to come in. It will last.

Retsoff

Bearcat
I've had my 10/22 for at least 20 years. I've bought and sold alot of guns since that time but the 10/22 remains. I think everyone should own at least 1 - 22 rimfire rifle and IMO there's none better than the 10/22 for general use. However, I do have one warning for you. With all of the aftermarket stuff available for the 10/22, you may resist modifying it for awhile but eventually you'll cave in. As I said, I've had mine for at least 20 years. Up until recently, I've not installed any aftermarket equipment/accessories on mine. However, I could no longer resist and almost simultaneously bought a Hogue replacement stock (which allowed me to get rid of the barrel band) and a complete Volquarsten trigger group which is as easy to install as removing the old one and putting in the new one. I gotta tell you that, though the trigger group cost more than the rifle itself, I bought it with an abundance of Cabela's points and it is worth every penny. If you're the tinkering kind, you can buy individual trigger components and install them yourself for alot less money.

So, my friend, fear not. Buy a 10/22 and have a ball. Just make sure you keep a little extra cash for the aftermarket stuff. Trust me - you'll need it.

Juan Gama

Bearcat
As others have said, the sky's the limit when puttering with a 10-22. I tend to prefer mine with just a minor trigger tuning and a sight upgrade for my old eyes, but the huge amount of aftermarket parts available for the 10-22 will let you turn one into anything from a mini-assault weapon toy to a heavy barreled, finely tuned tack driver. Fun or competition - it's your choice. You can go to brownells.com and see just a sample of the many parts available for the 10-22.

They're fun, and no matter what you do with them you probably won't be unhappy.

Juan

dwarven1

Bearcat
I've had my (first) 10/22 since 1981. Probably somewhere over 25K rounds through it. Only function-related items to be replaced were the firing pin and the extractor. Firing pin had lost about .003" in length over the years and was giving light strikes, and the extractor was worn as I was having some issues. A new Volquartsen extractor and it's utterly reliable again.

How reliable? Well, I've converted it to a Project Appleseed-style Liberty Training Rifle and it gets loaned out at most every Appleseed Shoot I instruct at... along with my other one (a somewhat newer model). That sees somewhere around 600-1200 rounds down the tube per shoot.

Tech-Sights on the new one, a Weaver K7 scope on my older 10/22, and both rifles have an extended mag release, Garand sling, modified bolt release and a lightened up hammer (directions at rimfirecentral.com). Both quite reliable, both will easily shoot better than 4 MOA with the stock barrel. What more could you want?

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Desert Dawg":17taw9bk said:
I will say, that finding a used one for a reasonable price is difficult.

Can you believe that I walked into Cabela's one day and found one on the used gun rack with a Simmons 3-9x32 scope on it..with a $99.XX price tag on it?

Yeah, I bought it.

Both of my 10/22's wear Tactical Solutions barrels with home tuned trigger jobs.

LCPor9mm

Bearcat
I have had my 10/22 since about 1973-4, you do the math. Never had a problem although I have to admit I just took it out of the closet after not using it for 10 years or so. Still as much fun to shoot as it used to be...and a whole lot cheaper to shoot than 9mm, or .380, or .357, or .38, or...well you get the picture. Funny thing is I have been bitten by the bug to upgrade also, and am looking to increase the acuracy on both my 10/22 and mkll.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

W/ the exception of a scope, my 10/22's just like it was when I got it in '80-'81 except for quite a few 1000 rds (NOTHING like the count some members have logged, though!) Like many Rugers, it keeps getting better every time another brick's finished... though I did have to break down after about 25 yrs and take my mags apart for cleaning and adjustment. ;)

I'm not a "customizer" type, but used to enjoy watching a fellow at our range who'd caught the bug big time. He had an Anschutz target rifle he'd used back when he shot competition, and got a case of the giggles one time that led him to try to match its accuracy w/ a super-tuned 10/22.

It took him almost the price of another Anschutz to arrive at his goal, but he made it! At 50 yds, offhand, he could generally put a full 10 rd mag in a hole that would have been a really good group w/ only three shots!

Rick C

wildturk

Single-Sixer
They are just fine as they come and are easily upgraded to what ever you want, or want to spend....

092207004.jpg

092207003.jpg

092207002.jpg