Buy Low Sell High?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Juniper

Bearcat
I have heard the adage of Buy Low Sell High, as quoted by J. Paul Getty as his formula for making $. When it comes to an occasional Ruger purchase it seems I sometimes do just the opposite. I do keep an eye out for an occasional used Ruger or Winchester and though I may be looking for something specific, I try and keep an open mind and consider all models and calibers. Today while burning a few extra Saturday minutes I checked over a local classified listing. Though I wasn't looking for a Ruger Blackhawk 45 long colt in stainless, 4 5/8" bbl I ended up with one. It included a hunter brand belt and triple K holster, 259 loaded cartridges, couple hundred empty brass... all for 5 franklins.... what made it really nice that price included a Winchester 94 trapper, angle eject in very nice shape in .45 long colt also. So for now the .357 Blackhawk 4 5/8 on my list will be forgotten... at least until I use up 259 long colt cartridges. One of the few times I believe I bought right.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Sounds like you did well! I'm the same, if I see something I just have to have, price becomes no object (as long as I have it). Later it seems I never get my money back. Only lately have I done pretty well :p

sumoj275

Bearcat
Nice snag. 259 rds of .45 Colt, that would last me about an hour of fun shooting. The .45 Colt is my favorite round.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I was usually at the wrong end of that kind of deal, too. I bought, swapped, and sold a bunch of firearms when I was younger, and I probably lost money on a lot of them.

These days I don't sell guns any more. I just keep 'em.

Maybe one day I will, but for now I don't. There are better ways of getting money than selling off my guns.

You got a great deal though. Congrat's!

Daryl

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
One thing I've thought of recently, w/r/t all this buying and selling: If I lose a bit on a sale, I chalk it up to "rent", or "tuition" (to the school of neverending learning). I'm not talking about hundreds of dollars lost on a bad purchase or something, but if I buy a gun for $500 and can only get $425-450 when I sell it, I'm not going to cry too much. I figure I got to own it, shoot it, see what makes that model tick, and see how I enjoy it.

Also, when it comes to wanting the next lust object, I'd rather have $425 out of that thing in my safe that I'm not shooting, right now, rather than holding out for $50 more dollars, which I'm going to spend in a week, anyway.

OTOH, it is nice to hold onto a gun for a couple of years only to find that it's gained a considerable amount of value. I bought a brand new Browning Hi Power a few years ago. They're going for nearly $1K nowadays. Wow. Maybe I do have a retirement fund, after all.

-- Sam