Buy a .44 spl in sumpthin'...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebtool

Blackhawk
I'm with ya Nickster - if Ruger came out with a modern revolver similar to the CA Bulldog, you & I would have to arm wrestle for the 1st 1! :shock: Ok, OK, you win, as long as I can get 1 in short order. :lol:

Metallurgy and machining processes have come a loooong way in the last 15 yrs, not to mention 40!

I traded for an old Bridgeport Bulldog last fall, and I love it! It had a set of Pachmyr Presentations on it, and I got a set of Grippers, for a thinner profile. Still working on a good holster.

I figgered the little jewel would be a bear to fire, as light as it is, but it's alot more comfortable than my SP101 w/125 gr JHPs, and weighs less! :shock: I'm pretty fond of the 3" tapered barrel as well - it's just the right size. The 2-1/2" is close, but just my preference I guess.

(Every time Sam posts a pic of his 624 I have to go in a corner and cry a little...) :lol:

Last time I shot her, it was getting dark and I wanted to finish off the box, had 15 rds left. At 15 yards, I loaded them in and fired them off DA as quick as I could pick up the target. I ended up with about a 3-1/2" diameter hole in the target, 1-1/2" below the bull, :D excepting 2 I pulled off to the left about 2". :oops: I'm no expert, haven't been shooting as much as I need to, so I'll take it! I think it would do the job.... :wink:

And you are correct, it's basically 45 acp ballistics, depending on the load you use. If the standard 45 acp, a 230 gr @ 850 fps is a man stopper, how far off is a 44 spl 240 gr @ 800 fps?

IF Ruger ever decided to come out with a 5 shot 44 spl, hopefully it would be in a smaller, more closely engineered package than the GP100. Don't get me wrong, I like my GP100 ALOT! But it's too much for ccw, at least for me. It wouldn't have to weigh in as light as the CA, but closer would be nice. :D

sebtool

Blackhawk
After reading this thread the other night, I went to the Charter Arms site and checked out their offerings again. I sent an email with my opinion of their line up, and received an answer several hours later from their president - probable easiest to cut and paste:

RE: 44 Bulldog
Date: Apr 5, 2010 9:41 AM
Dear Steve,

You are ahead of the curve, this summer we are building a limited run of the orginal 3" Bulldog in blue steel and a box from that era.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,

D. Nickerson Ecker
President

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 2:29 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 44 Bulldog

I own an old 'Bridgeport' .3" 44 Bulldog. You folks put out some nice firearms these days. But you might want to consider putting out a copy of the original with the 3' tapered barrel. With the advances in metallurgy and machining, the 'new' Bulldog would be significantly stronger.
I was surprised at the following these older guns have. The new ones are nice, but to be honest, look like every other Taurus, Rossi, etc. out there. The older barrel contour was distinctive, it really set the guns apart. I've handled the new 2-1/2" Bulldog and 4" target model, but just can't get warmed up to them. Still have my 1970 model, and looking for another. A bonus would be an adjustable sight on the 3", but that's just my taste.
At least an improved sight for us old guys with old eyes.
Just figured I throw this at you. Who knows how many others may look at them as well. I know of a few that would be interested, but 8-10 units definitely doesn't justify a production run!

Thanks,
Steve B.
Blackwell, Mo.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
The original 3" tapered brl is a classic for a lot of punch and light to carry. I'll be interested to see how this limited run stacks up against an original from the early 70s.

I'm also curious how limited & how much.

Only 250 Heller Commemorative models will be made. Each firearm will be packaged with an engraved knife, hardcase with etched glass top, and certificate of authenticity.

The price for this limited edition collector's package is $1595.

Let's hope they produce a tad over 250 units of the bulldog replica.

Right now their Featured Product is The Cougar.

53833 Cougar Undercover Lite,
Pink & Stainless Standard

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... 53833.html

I find it somewhat interesting that they are going to re-release the original bulldog when they claimed they were too busy to dedicate time to the CARR, Rimshot project.

Which BTW, isn't listed a the top left of the website anymore.

It was still there 3/22/2010.

Anywho thanks for sharing your conversation w/CA.

I hope you understand that I take breaking news from CA w/grain of salt...

sebtool

Blackhawk
He didn't mention the run being any type of 'commemorative', so hopefully it will be priced competetively. If not, they won't sell, which would be a shame.

As for the'Cougar', that's pretty funny, actually! Does make you wonder who's running their marketing department, and what they're sipping on their 'coffee' breaks. :?

As this came from the prez, hopefully it might carry a little more weight than their marketing or customer service departments.... Time'll tell!

Rclark

Hunter
Well, I just got my first .44 Special.... for concealed carry. No it isn't a Ruger. But now that I have a .44 Special, I'll probably have to break down and get the Ruger .44 Spec Flattop eventually :roll: . I've always said I didn't need a 'special' as I could shoot .44 Special level loads in my .44Mags.... But the CA Bulldog I just acquired and 137 cases of .44 Special brass, just put me on board so to speak.... Here it is. It was test fired January 2010. I'll 'test fire' it tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting... Loaded up 100 rounds tonight... so ready to roll ... err shoot!

CABulldog44spec_2.jpg

Here is a target from Sunday (today). I burned 95 rounds for fun. Pleasant to shoot really. Kicks a lot more than my .45 Colt, but very manageable. Looks like my load is okay for elevation, but disappointing for windage. Not sure what to do, other than file the back notch on the left side to help bring it in.... Seems like it's off by 'a lot' :( . Of course for close work it still will do okay. This was about 15 yards or so...

CABulldogFirstTarget.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'm currently looking around for another S&W 624 or 24 (.44 Special), this time 6". If anyone has or knows of one, drop me a line.

Thanks!

-- Sam

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I got this 624 for a steal two years ago,,,$359.00+tax,Also have a Model 24 6" Sorry Sam,,not for sale :wink: Will keep you in mind :D
377371154.jpg

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Well poo. Up until this week I couldn't understand why anyone would want a 44 special. Never really paid attention to 44 special. Figured if you didn't like 44 mag at least get a 357 mag. Then slowly people on this forum got it through my head that there is no law forcing me to only shoot near top end loads. Gee what a concept. And while I don't like it much I may not be as young as I used to be. So I'm thinking reduced 44 mag loads maybe just go 44 special. Same bullets and primers and dies.

Rclark

Hunter
Then slowly people on this forum got it through my head that there is no law forcing me to only shoot near top end loads.
Don't feel bad, it took Taffin a while too to figure that out according to his books :) . I personally never saw a reason to load hot, so I always loaded my .44mags down quite a bit... and yes I there was a time where I did occasionally shot 21g of 2400 pushing a 240g JSP just for the fun of it. Not anymore! There comes a time when you just don't see the point of subjecting yourself to the punishment when 8g to 9g of Unique pushing a 240g bullet is much more enjoyable when target/varmint shooting! Plus cases last longer, not as loud, etc.... Of course, now I have a .44 Special snubby that makes tame loads 'feel' like semi-hot loads :roll: . Go figure :p .

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Rclark":1pzu15rs said:
Here is a target from Sunday (today). I burned 95 rounds for fun. Pleasant to shoot really. Kicks a lot more than my .45 Colt, but very manageable. Looks like my load is okay for elevation, but disappointing for windage. Not sure what to do, other than file the back notch on the left side to help bring it in.... Seems like it's off by 'a lot' :( . Of course for close work it still will do okay. This was about 15 yards or so...

CABulldogFirstTarget.jpg

Looks like the barrel may need to be indexed. Not sure how much you'd have to file on the back notch to move the group back over that far.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
SBH4628":3sjvuyff said:
I got this 624 for a steal two years ago,,,$359.00+tax,Also have a Model 24 6" Sorry Sam,,not for sale :wink: Will keep you in mind :D
Gee, thanks. :D Seriously though, if anyone hears of anything, please keep me in mind. I've got a couple of ads up, and am also planning to sell my 27-2 to fund this one.

I already have a 3" Lew Horton 624, and want the longer barreled version as a mate.

-- Sam

maxpress

Buckeye
the fatman":1ls6mcaf said:
Well poo. Up until this week I couldn't understand why anyone would want a 44 special. Never really paid attention to 44 special. Figured if you didn't like 44 mag at least get a 357 mag. Then slowly people on this forum got it through my head that there is no law forcing me to only shoot near top end loads. Gee what a concept. And while I don't like it much I may not be as young as I used to be. So I'm thinking reduced 44 mag loads maybe just go 44 special. Same bullets and primers and dies.

it takes awhile to get out of "movie mode" and back to reality. to figure out clear through a threat target is enough and dead is dead. though i still know guys even in there sixties that think nothing is greater than a fullpower .44mag with a golddot hollow point on a ground hog a 50ft :roll:

A

Anonymous

Rclark":17nkmidu said:
Then slowly people on this forum got it through my head that there is no law forcing me to only shoot near top end loads.
Don't feel bad, it took Taffin a while too to figure that out according to his books :) . I personally never saw a reason to load hot, so I always loaded my .44mags down quite a bit... and yes I there was a time where I did occasionally shot 21g of 2400 pushing a 240g JSP just for the fun of it. Not anymore! There comes a time when you just don't see the point of subjecting yourself to the punishment when 8g to 9g of Unique pushing a 240g bullet is much more enjoyable when target/varmint shooting! Plus cases last longer, not as loud, etc.... Of course, now I have a .44 Special snubby that makes tame loads 'feel' like semi-hot loads :roll: . Go figure :p .

To me and my handloading, the are 3 levels of handgun loads.

A Magnum load, when I think a magnum load is necessary, is 1200 fps. A field lload is 1000 fps and the light field loads and the older guns are loaded to 850 fps +or-.

There is nothing I can do with a 44 Mg. loaded to 240/1400 fps that I can't do with the same bullet loaded to 1200 fps.

On human targets, any bullet with a sectional density equal to a 125 grain 357 bullet loaded to 1000 fps is more than adaquate for PD.

IMO..... 8)

Latest posts