Buy a .44 spl in sumpthin'...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Dave T":12q1x4vr said:
Well, I bought one of the 44 Special Blackhawks, a 5-1/2", and discovered I really don't like the NM action so mine is for sale or trade. It did get me interested in the old models again and now I have two 3-screw flat-tops, a 44 Magnum and a 357 Magnum. I do have 3 S&W 44 Specials so that addiction won't get too much worse. Good thing Ruger never made a 3-screw 44 Special. I'd have to have every variation they ever produced (LOL).

Dave
Now you need to get a 2nd OM .357 and have it converted to .44 Special.

-- Sam

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I hate to sound a sour note, but if 44 special starts getting more popular, then more ammo time by the mfgs will be take for them, and the ammo shortage keeps going for a while longer

maxpress

Buckeye
i dont think it will make that significant a dent in availability just because i would guess that 99% of .44 special buyers are already .44 spl guys so we already have most of our components and/or will be ordering about the same amount this year as last.

Dave T

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":3ecfrur7 said:

-- Sam

Sam,

I tried to do that a number of years ago but after waiting for several months the gunsmith sent the 3-screw 357 back and said he changed his mind and didn't want to do all that work. Kind of soured me on the whole Ruger SA scene and I stayed away from them for over 5 years. That NM 44 Special got my previous interest going...but sure not for the NMs and their actions or trigger pulls. Just got to have those clicks (LOL).

Dave

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Dave T":3t35i3xz said:
Yosemite Sam":3t35i3xz said:

-- Sam

Sam,

I tried to do that a number of years ago but after waiting for several months the gunsmith sent the 3-screw 357 back and said he changed his mind and didn't want to do all that work. Kind of soured me on the whole Ruger SA scene and I stayed away from them for over 5 years. That NM 44 Special got my previous interest going...but sure not for the NMs and their actions or trigger pulls. Just got to have those clicks (LOL).

Dave
Dave,

Clearly, the only thing left to do is go for a Freedom Arms 97 in .44 Special. It'll save you money over a custom, too. :lol:

-- Sam

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
I only snagged a 5.5 flat-top and I like the looks of Bisely so I ordered one of each, like the last time, and see what shows up.

On anothe note, I noticed those shiny, discontinued, Nickel, Beretta Bisleys in 357 & 45 Colt.

Don't know much about 'em except they're the small Colt/NV size, and an attractive price.

The one thing that really stood out is that the Bisely grip frame appears more pronounced.

The bottom moves forward in almost a BH fashion.

Looks that way to me...
------------------------
Dang, I thread drifted off of the 44spl Ruger and kilt my own thread...

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
W-e-e-e-ll, doggies. I've no posting shame as I post on my edited post.

The 4 5/8, 44 spl Bisely arrived a few weeks ago & I'm quite pleased.

If you have short, stubby fingers I suggest you look into the Bisley.

The grip frame/stocks will fill your hand considerably more than the X-2 NV style.

It isn't as noticeable at times coz I can thumb the hammer spur w/o repositioning my grip.

This also tends to leave my grip a might high in the saddle & that's a good thing.

The frame is long enough to accommodate my pinky finger in a full grip.

Because of the bell shape taper of the stocks/panels becoming wider towards the butt my hand wants to instinctively ride close to the brl axis.

Even though the quarter moon & slight angle, at the top of the stocks, are a part of what defines the traditional Bisley I wouldn't mind at all experimenting w/thinner stocks that would lose that feature.

Heresy I 'm sure, yet I don't need the wide profile to take any sting out of a 44 spl and thinner stocks might feel better.

Not to imply that the Bisley is N-frame size. I just wouldn't mind if the width of the grip frame was 1/8-3/16" skinnier overall.

Not a big fan of laminate, but I much prefer any type/style wood over plastic.

I know Ruger is proud of their work and the medallion on the stocks looks nice, yet its very presence somewhat discourages alteration.

These are not complaints merely observations coupled w/my musings.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I am a big fan of the .44 Lipsey Special. I ordered (and received) a 5½" barrel. That's my favorite single action barrel length. The only change I made was to have a trigger job done and I put a set of Pachmayr grips on it. Now, it is MUCH more comfortable and it shoots extremely well (well under 1" at 25 yards):

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0388.jpg

DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0395.jpg

Ruger outdid themselves with this one.

Dale53

gak

Buckeye
I've got Colt and Cimarron in 5.5" and USFA in 4.75" I like both lengths for their own sakes. Now I'm looking forward to Ruger bringing out a New Vaquero. 'Cmon, before I have to convert one of my .357s!

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
I don't know if I trust myself w/file and sandpaper. I'd like to see a set of stags on this one.

Those Pachmayrs go all the way to the trigger guard.

Is that the norm on their SA Ruger offerings?

I don't reckon I've paid much attention.

They look comfy.

Nice leather rig for sporting the special around town.

If they come out w/NV in a Bisley I'll be forced to buy it or the Bisley conversion for my 45 if it comes in SS...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I just put a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips on my stainless Redhawk, and they look and feel great. These have a nice little shelf for the thumb, as well as that buffer behind the trigger guard.

In the past year I've sold out to comfort and put rubber baby buggy bumpers (usually Hogue) on several of my semi autos. They just feel so much nicer, in some cases.

-- Sam

I too like the old model 44 Special idea better. I've had both lengths of the new 44 Specials and they both went to new homes. This was an OM 357 that is now a 5 1/2" 44 Special bisley and I love it.
Spence-6Guns017-1.jpg

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Next step should be a GP100 in .44 special. C'mon, Taurus did it!

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Yes, w/o my intent there appears a pun indeed.

I'm so used to saying, "more power to ya" that I didn't realize the implications in this context.

Good eye for detail.

So, unto my cohorts, w/flair for the 44 mag, I raise my glass.

I'd like to see a five round DA in 44 spl ala SP101 w/3" brl, give or take a 1/16", w/o full lug.

What's wrong w/taper brl?

Rossi made a nice one in the 720 full lug w/concealed hmr & the early Charter Arms were the essence of big bore in a small package w/o a snub nose brl.

The CH was considerably lighter than the SS Rossi and was a classic example of carry a lot and shoot little.

A SD gun designed for light weight & ease of carry as opposed to a fun plinkin' gun.

I don't care for the later CA offerings and I'm not holding my breath on the 9mm, 40 & 45acp moon clipless wheelguns aka rimless revolver that they've announced, for quite some time, as being available right around the corner.

They took the press release off the website some time ago and they still advertise as being available early in 2010, w/o a link or any additional information.

No gentlemen I do not believe the tale that CA is making so much money on their other offerings that they can't afford to produce this line.

It's a wonderful idea that's right down my alley. I'd like a 9 for cheap plinkin' & a 45 for totin', yet I'd probably pass on the 40. That has to be one wicked recoil. The 9mm Makarov in a recoil only semi-auto(P-64) is quite jumpy.

The 9 is probably the only one that'll be small enough for a BUG being built on an uncover 38 frame/J-frame. I'm not saying you couldn't carry the others in similar fashion, but they'll be on the 44 bulldog frame.

Still, it would be handy to have a 5 rnd wheelgun in the same ammo as your semi-auto carry.

Enough of my ramblings. Every couple of months I have to blow some steam on the Charter Arms Rimless Revolver that is gonna be available early in 2010.

Which BTW ,according to the nice lady at CA customer service, will be in 60 days, starting from last week, for the 40 caliber model. According to my calculations May 19 is the latest date for the rimless.

I guess technically any release before July could be considered "Early 2010".

Baring no other delays, excuse me while I clear my throat, 90-100 days after the 40's release the 9mm will come out and another 90-100 days after that the 45 acp.

I bet It'll be summer of next year before the 45 rounds the corner.

The 9 would be cheap to shoot, but my heart is set on the 45acp.

Then, I'm decked out w/1911, S&W 1917 & the rimless wonder.

I reckon I'll have a fire sale on the rest of those odd ball calibers

Putting a burr under their saddle in cyberville might not make a bit of difference, but I always seem to feel better afterwards.

Guess I will be in quite a pickle if they every do come out on the market.

Nah, I'll just whine about Ruger not producing a 5 rnd 44 spl w/mini Bisley grip & half spur hmr in DA...
===============
EDIT: The nice customer service lady corrected me by pointing out the error of my ways by pointing out that CA didn't officially announce the C.A.R.R./Rimshot until April 2009.

This means they're only a year behind production.

The news of the Rimshot, complete w/photo, in Fall of 2008 was an evil plot by the jump the gun writers and in no way was connected to CA, their management or advertising executives.

Okie dokie.

On the other hand, that cock n bull story about making so much money hand over fist and therefore being unable to halt some regular production/add a line to produce the Rimshot was surely the handicraft of the promotion department.

These are the latest, stellar releases as acknowledged by CA.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products ... ducts.html

Give me a break.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Taurus 44 spl models discontinued:

MODEL 431
- .44 Spl. cal., 5 shot, 2 (new 1995), 3, or 4 in. barrel, blue only, fixed sights. Mfg. 1993-97.

Model 431SS (Stainless Steel)
- similar to Model 431, except stainless steel. Mfg. 1993-97.

MODEL 441
- similar to Model 431, except has 3, 4, or 6 in. barrel, adj. sights. Mfg. 1993-97.

Model 441SS (Stainless Steel)
- similar to Model 441, except is stainless steel. Mfg. 1993-97.

MODEL 445
- .44 Spl. cal., compact frame, 5 shot, 2 in. ported (new 1999) or standard barrel, fixed sights, blue or stainless, Ribber or rubber grips, 28 oz. Mfg. 1997-2003.

Model 445 Concealed Hammer
- similar to Model 445, except w/o hammer, ported or unported barrel. Mfg. 1999-2003.

Model 445 Concealed Hammer Stainless
- similar to Model 445 Concealed Hammer, except is stainless steel. Mfg. 1999-2003.

Model 445 SS (Stainless Steel)
- stainless variation of the Model 445. Mfg. 1997-2003.

Model 445 Ultra-lite Concealed Carry
- features stainless steel or titanium frame, ported 2 in. barrel, walnut combat grips. Mfg. 2002 only.

Model 445 Ultra-lite Stainless
- features ported 2 in. barrel and matte stainless steel. Mfg. 1999-2002.

MODEL 445T
- .44 Spl. cal., 5 shot, all titanium construction, 2 in. ported barrel with fixed sights, choice of bright spectrum blue, matte spectrum blue, matte gold (mfg. 1999 only), stealth grey (new 2000), or shadow grey (new 2000) finish, Ribber grips. Mfg. 1999-2002.
----------
Lest I forget again, thanks for the pics fellas...