Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, or Leupold VX-1 3-9x40??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, Gentlemen and Ladies,

In the past few years, I've had five operations on my left (dominant) eye, and now, I've had to train my right eye to take over those duties. I have a very nice Ruger M77, .30-06, with grey, laminated stock, and I've never fired it, even though I've had it for quite a few years. Now, I've inherited a 1973 Remington M700 Model BDL Custom Deluxe, also in .30-06, and it's a right-handed rifle. As I am actually right-handed, it's nice to have a proper rifle, but it's in need of a better scope than the Cabela's 3-12x40 that is currently on it. The Cabela's is "ok", but really doesn't fit the rifle as well as I'd prefer. Now that it's mine, I am considering replacing it with either a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, or a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope. I have one Leupold, an old M8-2x ERR handgun scope, and two Burris scopes, also setup for handguns, or Scout Rifle duty, and like them all.

However, after doing quite a bit of reading, opinions as to which of the scopes I'm considering, is varied and at odds, overall! I may also give my M77 a try, shooting it right-handed, with whichever scope I decide to buy. However, I've also considered trading it for another right-handed rifle, so I'm not switching back and forth, right to left, and back. What are your thoughts, comments, and experiences with the two scopes I'm considering? I'd appreciate hearing how these scopes have worked for those who have purchased them.

It's a bummer that I never really got to enjoy my left-handed M77, and as mentioned, I may sell it, or trade it for another right-handed model. Life is strange, as I've had to shoot right-handed rifles most of my life, and now that I have a wonderful "Ruger Lefty", it no longer fulfills that need I once had.......

Thanks for sharing your suggestions as to the Burris and Leupold scopes I'm considering. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I just bought a VX 1 3x9 40 from Natchez 199.00 free shipping. I mounted this on a NIB 77/50,, found on gunbroker. You are welcome to shoot this! I went to Sierra Bullets today in Sedalia MO bought 300 gr. 230 dia. and 77 and 80 gr. for my AR 556

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Have a dozen plus Leupold scopes and 1 Burris that I bought and regret buying it every time I use it. It is a long range pistol scope and sadly Leupold does not make an equivalent.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Sagebrush Burns said:
I have never had a Leupold I didn't like or a Burris that I did like.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Eye relief is better with the Leupold, from my experience. I would consider spending a little more money and getting the VX 3 in 2.5-8X36. I have one of these on several and they are extremely clear and great eye relief.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your quick and excellent comments and suggestions. As much as I would love to buy a VX-3, my finances will not allow that. But, I DID decide to upgrade to the VX-2, and found one on "the bay of evil", brand new, from a dealer, for $230, with free shipping. I look forward to receiving it, and seeing how it works with both the M700 BDL, and the M77 stainless/left-handed rifle!! Thanks, again, for helping me make up my mind. I was already leaning towards the Leupold, mainly because of their long history of making quality products, right here in the USA! I also appreciate their excellent customer service, and have read some fairly bad things about some of the Burris service. So, Leupold VX-2 3-9x40, it IS!! Thanks, again, and I'll let you know how it works out, once I receive said scope, and have mounted and tested it. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Another option is buying used. Try the 24hourcampfire.com they typically have scopes available for sale. Myself I probably have 12-15 extra scopes laying around and once in a while I sell them. Most are in pretty good shape, or maybe have ring marks to some point. Bear Basin Outfitters has some pretty good deals on scopes as well. If you stick with the VX2 the 3-9 X 40 is pretty nice as well.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Good Morning, All,

I have now corrected a mistake I made in typing the date of my BDL. It was made in 1973, and not 1983. (Danged fumble fingers.....!) I also found something fun that may add some spice to my scope situation. Years ago, I found an older Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 scope in an antique store, for $20, and as it looked to be in great condition, and had actually been made by Bausche and Lomb, in Japan, I bought it.

Fast forward to yesterday: I was looking through some of my old Gun Digest books, and low and behold, what did I found? Yep, that same scope, offered in 1973, just like my BDL!! So, even though I probably won't leave it on the Remmy permanently, I HAVE to mount it and give it a try, just for fun!! I was tickled to find that information yesterday, and it just goes to show why it's very important to KEEP all those old Gun rags and books!! Quite a bit of good information will be lost forever, IF we rely solely on the internet!!

My new Leupold VX-2 3-9x40, which is what will very probably live on the BDL, should be here in a few days, and then the "scope fun" can begin. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

pisgah

Buckeye
wolfsong said:
Nikon Pro Staff. Cannot beat it for price, performance and warranty. JMHO...

No kick against Leupold or Burris, but I now have 3 of these and could not be happier.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Howdy, pisgah,

Many thanks for tossing in your thoughts. As the money is already spent, and a Leupold VX-2 on the way, it's a done deal, at least for this time. Next time I need another scope, I'll most certainly give the Nikon offerings a better look. My big Nikon camera has been a real gem, and takes fantastic photographs!! So, I am sure that Nikon knows their stuff on scopes, too.

As to having purchased the Leupold, one of my big reasons is that Leupold is an American company, which employs 600-700 workers, up in Oregon. So, the "Made in America" thing is always something I try to do, if possible. This time, the Leupold won out, but next time, we'll see..... Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Leupold. I've got 4 of them, one over 40 years old and they work great.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Morning, Ka6otm,

Thanks for the additional support for Leupold! I think my choice will work wonderfully for me, and am glad that I, too, chose Leupold for my new scope. It should arrive around March 28, and I look forward to mounting it on my rifle, and seeing (literally!) how it works for me. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Paul B

Buckeye
I have five of the Leupies the OP mentioned and two of the Burris. So far three of the leupolds have turned toes up on me, two at the range and the other on my elk hunt. :x Got lucky as hell. Shot was layered at 350 yards so I held a bit high to drop the 225 gr. Barnes TSX into the heart/lung area. At the shot the elk went down and never even twitched. We go to the animal and could find no holes in the chest area. Finally found where the bullet had broken the cow elk's neck at the base of the skull. :shock:
A few days after getting home from the hunt, I took the rifle to the range and the result looked more like holes from a scatter gun.
I packed up the scope and sent it back to Leupold and I got it back in about two weeks. Same results from Leopold on the other scopes that dies at the range. That scope was on a .35 Whelen. The others that failed were on a .300 Win. Mag and I can't remember for the life of me what the other scope was on. Thinking it might have been a 30-06 as I use those a lot.
Speaking of excellent warranty work, I bought a new and expensive for me anyway Minox scope. It was busted from the factory. The windage wouldn't center. Called Minox and they said to send it in and they'd look at it. Came back three weeks later working just fine. Neat little 2.5x10. I haven't decided which of two rifles I want to mount it on. Speaking of scopes, I still have rifles packing old El Paso Weavers. They work just fine.
Paul B.

Latest posts