Bunch of babies at the range.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Were they new , inexperienced shooters? Maybe not familiar with how a semi auto pistol works and wears in? Maybe they thought it was excessive wear when it was normal? If so , did anyone help them out and explain things to them?

Any gun that gets a lot of range time is going to show wear. Don't want wear, then do not go to the range. Keep it in a safe. My focus has been getting as much range time as possible. And keeping the gun clean and springs and parts replaced when necessary. I do not own a safe Queen. Do not want one either. I will spend the money on Ammo and range dues.
I hunt a lot have been since a kid. I do not worry about Rain, or if my Hunting coat gets wet, or my pants get dirty. For those that do, just stay home and watch TV.
Here is one of my gun's that has had the snot shot out of it and still going strong.
SBMSEYs.jpg

Last edited:

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
You need some arr in your back tar.
Better change the erl too.

Someday I might shoot something of mine enough to have to replace a spring or other parts. Now that I think about it, had an AK where the bolt tail mushroomed so much that it took out the rear of the recoil spring, probably around 1,000 rounds through it.
I've got some I enjoy shooting a lot, and others that I treat more like an investment, but from my observation, both should hold their value pretty well.

I believe the pristine look that they fret over is similar to the way they think of a vehicle. To me a gun and a vehicle are both tools not to be abused but to serve a purpose. That's not to say that I don't have some pretty guns because I do. Safe queens are nice but they will go bang. I want something reliable that will always work when needed.

I treat my tools with respect and keep them clean. I have some that are for rough service and I have some that are precision for fine work. It's nice to have a gun that you can use and not worry about too much.

My friend Roger used to have a High Standard 10X and Smith and Wesson Model 41 for competition target shooting. He also had a Ruger T512 that he used in matches and a RST4 that he carried in the field. The 10X and Model 41 were kept in range boxes and except for very minor blemishes were immaculate. The Rugers were kept clean but not babied. Roger was a tool and die maker so appreciated well built things. Many times we discussed the differences between those 4 pistols. The methods used in building them and their reliability. We agreed that the 10X and Model 41 were fine precision instruments but we would both take the Rugers over them.

I guess it's the opinion of the individual that determines their thoughts on this.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
There has always been idolatry in the gun community. The fact is that a safe queen is worth a lot more money than a cosmetically compromised firearm in equal mechanical condition. I see this as an opportunity to buy and own great firearms at a reduced cost.
Yeah, but wait! In certain collecting owning circles, now "battleworn" "relic condition", now THAT'S a "thing", so the ones in the middle, go after them!

el caminero

Single-Sixer
I look upon wear as "Character," the same as in life lines in a man's face.

Shortly after buying my Ruger Blackhawk back in 1958, I was crossing a barbed wire (bob war fence) fence and one strand snapped down and incised a perfect letter "N" in the outside grip. Each time I saw the mark, it reminded me of that incident.

Bob Wright
Ah, eet eez not zeee 'N'; eet eez zee letter "Z"! Ze fence, she eez mark another one, win another battle!!

Jack Ryan

Blackhawk
Maybe it is just me (Its possible) but if feels like the newer shooters are overly worried about wear, tear, scratches, or general use marks on their firearms. I have seen a lot of posts complaining about finish wear on semi auto handgun barrels ejection marks holster wear etc.
I was at the range and listened to a couple of guys worrying about why the finish was wearing off of the tight-fitting barrel. I was brought up to keep firearms clean not pristine. Not a rant. Just wondering.
So they weren't obsessed over an "idiot scratch"?

Last edited:

dannyd

Hunter
My guns are all raggedy because I try to shoot as much as possible.

The only Eulogy I want is for a Gun or Pawn shop person to say
"those guns aren't worth anything their all shot out". :)

I am around a lot of Young Guy's at the ranges now because they out number the Old Farts, and they are not to particular about their gun at all.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
No safe queens in my arsenal. Just well maintained shooters. i was raised to take care of my stuff. I learned to respect bob war fences and was taught how to properly kick a tar at an early age. one of my early chores was helping my grandmother get her worshing machine out of the MAYTAG locker and set up on the porch.

Mike J

Hunter
As has been said, some people want to keep things pristine. Some folks are inexperienced & don't understand that it is normal for certain parts to show wear. I see people in one polymer gun group I am a member of that do all kinds of things to try to make those pistols look cool. Sometimes I think it is silly. Then I think about whether or not I've ever changed grips to make something look better.
I knew a guy that threw a brand new Wilson Combat EDC 9 on the ground saying, "It's just a tool". Then decided to not use it for a carry gun because of how expensive it was.
I'm probably in the middle. Honest wear doesn't bother me but I try not to abuse things.