Bullet weight and factory ammo for my SR-762

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jdubb16

Bearcat
Hello y'all,

I've poked around a bit and looked here and there but I have not seen any info on this topic: I just want to find out what factory ammo is shooting well down the pipe of the Ruger SR-762. For those that don't know, it has a 16.2" barrel and a 1:10rh twist. Mine is chambered in 308 Win/7.62 NATO (they all might be chambered like that, I don't know if there are/were any other calibers available).

I'd like to find a good factory load and bullet weigh and stick with it- make it my "brand". When I begin to load my own, well that will be a big difference and I wont be as concerend about factory loads. But for now I am.

When I first got this rifle I wanted it to be my long range rifle. I did some add-ons to that end- one being a big, high-powered optic. But now, years later, I think I will consider this a mid range rifle at, say, 0-500 yard effective range (my effective range). I'll put the scope on something else and get something like a 1-10 LVPO for my SR-762...

So anyways, what ammo is working well for you SR-762 folks?

Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr
Hornady Match 168gr
Black Hills Gold 168gr
See a theme going on. It's the same reason that I advised 168gr match bullets to another person last week. Utube has some videos of guys comparing these well known loads. In my AR-10 the Federal gold medal match does shoot smaller groups than my handloads. I am a little biased toward the Federal as of having fired many rounds making small groups using them in a police rifle. I bet either or all 3 choices will shoot as good or better than you can in your rifle. Beyond 300 yds, heavier bullets and get trigger time in before wasting time at long range.

krw

Blackhawk
Anytime you want to see how a 308 shoots, you cant go wrong with FGMM in 168 an 175gr weights. Anytime you get a chance to buy the old blue/white bx FGMM amunition at a decent price, gather it up. Really good factory ammo!!

Try to find some ammo loaded with the Nosler 155 HPBT competition bullet. I would expect it to work well enough in your 16" barrel and keep the velocity up to a usable level. That bullet did pretty well for me out to around 600 on paper and knocked the stuffing out of coyotes at 300-400. I won't say it expanded but it wasn't difficult to follow them up on snowy ground.

Latest posts