Bullet-puller use

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
CD is this one that looks like a hammer? If so you just adjust the collet around the case head with bullet pointed toward the inside to catch bullet and powder. Then smack or hammer it on a block of wood until the bullet pulls away from the case or your arm falls off. :shock:

45 Colt

Bearcat
the fatman":1qdoeej3 said:
CD is this one that looks like a hammer? If so you just adjust the collet around the case head with bullet pointed toward the inside to catch bullet and powder. Then smack or hammer it on a block of wood until the bullet pulls away from the case or your arm falls off. :shock:
If so CD,place something soft at the bottom.
Such as closed cell foam.A plug of it is all that's needed.
If you don't have any, then a piece of a cotton ball will do.
This way,the bullet won't be damaged.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
45 Colt":2bpvujzx said:
the fatman":2bpvujzx said:
If so CD,place something soft at the bottom.
Such as closed cell foam.A plug of it is all that's needed.
If you don't have any, then a piece of a cotton ball will do.
This way,the bullet won't be damaged.

Disposable foam earplugs work GREAT.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
You did say Collet style puller??? If so then just put the correct shellholder for the ammo in your press. Screw in the correct size collet into the puller body and screw the whole thing into your press as far as you want. You will decide what depth you like with use and the type of ammo you are pulling bullets from. Then just put the unwanted round into the shellholder and raise it into the loose collet and tighten the collet on it and pop the handle on the press to lower the ram. IF the bullet does not come out you need to 1) tighten the collet more next try or 20 after tightening the collet actually seat the bullet slightly deeper then go the other way and remove the bullet. The second way is almost a must for mil surplus ammo with sealed bullets.
Remember to have the correct size collet for each different diameter bullet and the collet style puller doed not work well on lead(cast) bullets.

dougader

Hunter
If its the hammer style/inertia/kinetic puller I'll let you in on a little tip. You can hammer forever sometimes, depending on what you whack the hammer on. Don't use the floor cuz your wife will kill you for leaving marks on both the linoleum and/or the hardwoods. PS... hardwoods are not that hard.

I found the best thing to whack on, lightly, but with the fastest results, is the head of a 2# mallet... the ones like automotive mechanics use. Just tapping will not hurt the hammer but gets the bullet to pull loose faster than anything else I have used in the past 20+ years.

The idea posted above about using an ear plug to protect the bullet sounds like a great idea, too. That's something I never thought about.

The only time you would be concerned about kaboom would be military type bullets-tracer(unlikely) and incindiary or white phosphorus(very likely). The heavier the bullet the better the whacker works and a good sized chunk of hardwood works best as a striking surface.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If you don't care about saving the bullet a quick and easy method to break them down is to use your press without a die in it and push the bullet up past the top of the press and grab it with a pair of pliers and then lower the piston, pulling the bullet out with very little force. Doing it like that keeps the powder from going everywhere. :D

...Jimbo

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
CDFingers":2s8sawns said:
These suggestions are exactly what I was after.

It's good to know I can whack away without blowing my self up. And I'll be sure to do it in my shop. I'll probably put a wood block on the bench top for whacking. CDFingers

With inertia bullet-pullets, just put the cartridge into the collet and tighten it well. Go out into the garage, Put a piece of 2x4 on the concrete garage floor and whack away. Usually I have to hit about 5 hard whacks to get out my bullets, cast or jacketed.
Sonnytoo

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, CD

W/ the inertia (hammer) style pullers, you may find the collet to be a bit of a problem child. 'Specially after a few 100 "I really didn't like that load" applications (why they tell us to only load five or ten of a new recipe? I'm a slow learner....) It can wear and get sloppy.

A suggestion was made here years ago that I (and several others!) adopted right away: replace the collet w/ the shellholder from your die set. It's easier to use, and will last somewhere around forever.

On wearing out your arm: I use a piece of hardwood on the concrete floor of the garage, and learned there's one of those "in the wrist" things about swinging the hammer that allows one or two good strikes to remove all but the most stubborn of my bullets. It's what was described to me once as the motion a real carpenter uses to "drive" a nail as opposed to what most of us duffers use when "pounding" one... ;)

Have fun, remember the safety glasses, and if you're disassembling a lot of ammo, ear plugs can make the job more pleasant!

Rick C

flhr62

Single-Sixer
Instead of the collet, you can use the correct shell holder for the caliber from your press.

Luv2reload

Bearcat
CD,

I have the same puller as you. They work well on a round that has NOT been crimped. A crimped, cast bullet is nearly impossible to pull with this unit.

The original collet works well - just keep an eye on tightening it up every once in awhile as you swing the hammer... yes, a few rounds have take off on me in the wrong direction :shock: !

L2R

il Padrino

Bearcat
I doubt many people pull .22 rimfire cartridges apart, but just in case.....

Rimfire cartridges should not be used in kinetic/inertia style bullet pullers.
Since the only thing holding the cartridge in is the collet forced against the rim of the cartridge there is a chance of setting off a rimfire cartridge.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I've been able to pull crimped bullets, but only as long as they didn't have a super tight crimp. I also had to go out on the porch and pound it against the concrete, the wood block I was using just wouldn't cut it. After a few of those rounds, my arm was tired, and I was surprised the puller hadn't broken.

CD I have pulled crimped bullets with an inertia puller. I used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood on a concrete floor. The plywood was destroyed after about 10 sessions, but I learned to not make mistakes by then. Ha ha.
Also wrist action comes in there somewhere. Good luck.
gramps