Bullet Diam. for 44 Special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Ok, I am getting ready to buy some lead bullets for my 44 Special and see they can come in .429, .430 and .431 diameters!? Which do I want for my Ruger Flattop 44?

Thanks
Tagg

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin":2knrjw3m said:
I'd slug the barrel and throats first, then decide....JMO, Dennis

:shock:

How does one go about that task??

Is there a "standard" size which "should" be correct?

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Pffft. I think I'll try .430's forst and see how great it shoots. OR.. I could Mic it and see what it says I guess.

"Sluggin" it seems like a lot of monkey business unless it shoots horrible.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
here's one option.

order .431s and one of the .430 Lee bullet sizer dies.

I shoot .431s in my 44 caliber factory rugers. I haven't had any trouble.

However, with a .430 and .429 bullet sizers i can always size the .431s down if need be. I originally purchased the bullet sizers because i have a custom that is leading a bit. Also it's said that FA's won't accept anything over 430, with .4295 recomended.

just a thought and good luck.

~c.r.

Fourbits

Bearcat
:D I've been using Missouri Bullet Company Cowboy #5 (200 grain RNFP) and Elmer K (240 grain SWC)bullets sized to 0.430. Fired in a new 44 Special Flat Top Excellent accuracy at 25 yards.

Enigma

Hunter
Run a Google search on 'how to slug a barrel,' and you'll find videos on Youtube. It's really quite simple. I'd send you a link to one, but I'm at work and YT is blocked.

.430 cast works great in my 44spl. from lipseys. Usually its the throats not the barrel thats the problem. The 44's are better for size than the 45.
I use sinkers, wood dowel and some grease to slug the barrel.
Eric

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Fourbits":24y6pr0y said:
:D I've been using Missouri Bullet Company Cowboy #5 (200 grain RNFP) and Elmer K (240 grain SWC)bullets sized to 0.430. Fired in a new 44 Special Flat Top Excellent accuracy at 25 yards.

I ordered 1000 of the 240 Keith style from this place today too.... .430! I'm purty sure they'll be fine. If not...... I'll have some to sell ya! ha ha

7.5gr of Unique? Sounds like fun!

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Agree that your cast bullet should be a "push-fit" or a light tap to push it through the cylinder throats. Usually bullet diameter is about 0.0005"-0.001" larger than groove diameter. The slip-fit through the throats, or a light tapping to get it through, is the best test as the actual measuring of throats is difficult to do properly with i.d. calipers, and is perhaps best performed by commercial plug gauges.
You can drive soft lead fishing sinkers through the throat and then measure with standard mikes. Use the sinkers that have a longitudinal hole all the way through them, that takes the fishing line. Buy the sinker size that is closest in diam to the proposed size of your bullet, but a slight amount larger. If too small, can squeeze it gently in a vise before tapping it through the throat. check out the technical manual by J. Marshall Stanton from Beartooth Bullets Co. Excellent manual for you.
Sonnytoo