Buffalo Bore

Help Support Ruger Forum:

McIver

Bearcat
I stopped in Cabellas to buy some ammo and I noticed some Buffalo Bore Ammo. I have never shot it before and was wondering if it would be ok in a LCP. I was some what amused at the size of the box.

McIver

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Depends. If it's their +P stuff I wouldn't recommend it. The LCP leaves quite a bit of the case unsupported, so too strong a load can cause some serious issues. Also, +P ammo can cause some undue wear on an LCP.

Of course, that's all just my opinion, and others will probably disagree.

McIver

Bearcat
It was +P and that was all the .380 that was left. I wasn't able to buy any .380 there but did find some other rounds that I needed. I was amazed how crowded the store was considering the economy.

McIver

cwegga

Bearcat
Ruger does not recommend using +P ammo in the LCP

The RUGER® LCPTM pistols are chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do
not attempt to load any other cartridges into the magazine or chamber of the
pistol. Do not use "+P" ammunition.

Here is a link to the full manual. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf

With all that being said, I have used Buffalo Bore ammo in my SP101 .357 and like it a lot. It packs quite a wallop. I'd be using it as my hiking carry ammo except I found some other 180gr loads that shoot right at POA with the fixed sights.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
The biggest problem with any +P ammo in .380 is that there is no SAAMI spec for 380 +P (at least that I know of). This means that any ammo marked .380 +P could be from just a few psi above regular .380 to so high they'll blow your gun apart. There's no upper limit.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Seems I read somewhere (I have a Kel-Tec P3AT that Ruger cloned) that Kel-Tec indicated that the stronger rounds would actually probably function better than the reg rounds. I'll look for the reference. How much is someone going to shoot one of these mouse guns anyway. I shoot mine enough to know I can hit what I'm aiming at, and that the ammunition I buy will chamber and fire without fail.

Just checked the KelTec site and they indicate maximum energy from their P3AT at 250 ft-lbs. Work that back thru the math and you will find it takes a pretty sturdy .380 load to reach that energy in the gun!

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Cholo":301bi89t said:
I believe those Buffalo Bore's will exceed that even in the lowly LCP. I'm sure somebody on another forum has torture tested the LCP with BB's stuff.

www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=29

I don't think so. I went to the BB site you linked to, and used that data to calculate the muzzle energy per the velocities specifically for the KelTec given. I came up with:

100g lead 1061 fps 250 ft lbs BB item 27A/20
95g FMJ 1019 fps 219 ft lbs BB item 27B/20
90g JHP 1100 fps 242 ft lbs BB item 27C/20

Latest posts