Buckhorn sights for a Mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toothache#1

Bearcat
I have never been a fan of the peep sight which came with my Mini 14 which is an older model and would like a traditional v- notch or buckhorn rear sight like you usually find on most iron sight rifles. My initial search has not yielded any results so it causes me to question why all sights I find are the peep sight or a ghost ring style for the rear sight, makes me wonder if I am missing the point. If anyone can enlighten me as to why those are standard for the Mini 14 and where I might find the sights I think I want I would greatly appreciate it.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Used properly, peeps are both faster to use and capable of finer accuracy than open sights. But most people have never been trained, or bothered to learn, how to use them.

While the Mini-14 peep sight lacks the quality of a high dollar match peep or other aftermarket peep sights it's far better than a buckhorn sight mounted on the barrel. It will be faster and easier to use. The diameter of the hole will be a big factor in how well it works with your shooting. Shooting at paper targets, normally you want smaller, hunting deer you want larger.
Explain the downfall of that peep your having and what/how your shooting. It could be a combination of a different front sight also be in order.