Buck Down. Slow down and be careful

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was only in my tree stand for 12 minutes and had an 8-point buck come out of timber to my decoy and I killed him with my crossbow. While field dressing him, I sliced the top of my pinky finger. I wrapped my bandanna around it until I got home to look at it. I poured a lot of hydrogen peroxide on it and decided to go to the ER. Ended up with 8 stitches. Guess it was Bambi's revenge.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ouch!
That will remind you to be a little more careful.

In my Hunter Safety classes,, I always mention the FACT that many people cut themselves dressing deer.

But you do need to be careful. I spent some time last week processing & butchering 2 deer I'd killed. And even as careful as I was,, I got a couple of very small, minor cuts on a couple of fingers. None of mine even required a band-aid, but they reminded me to be extra careful. And as least nobody can call me; "Nine-fingered T" :D

As for the deer getting revenge. Heck, I just had a doe run into my truck, and cause $6500 worth of damage. So I took revenge & killed 2 deer a few days later. :D

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I have a pair of kevlar gloves just because I have done the same thing.........if I knew where I put them, I'd use them.
I keep a supply of "vet wrap", self adhering tape for cuts.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Gloves are good. For sure. But I also have a first aid kit when hunting and processing - distilled water, sanitizer, bandages, Betadine, quikclot wirh silver, etc.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Monday afternoon helped my neighbors son and grand daughter find a large buck she shot, He has a hip replaced and can't walk so she and I were left to find it and gut it. Showed her how and was careful to explain how to reach up into the chest cavity and avoid cutting yourself while doing it, Fast forward to yesterday, got a small doe myself and you guessed it, cut my thumb. Had to laugh at myself.

NewRuger41

Bearcat
Sadly I haven't not knicked or cut myself whem field dressing a deer. I wear trauma gloves, slice right through those no issue. But I have distilled water with me and I instantly rinse, remove glove, rinse again, betadine then bandage. Glove back on and back to processing. Ome day I won't inflict myself.