Broken SpeedStrip bolt stop pin in MkIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
Has anyone else experienced a broken bolt stop pin on Majestic Arms' SpeedStrip kit? The threaded socket broke off the swivel portion of the pin, and I discovered this when cleaning my MkIII after a day of can-plinking. I wrote an email to Majestic Arms earlier, but since it's Friday evening, I don't expect a reply anytime soon. I'm wondering how their customer service is.

anything is possible, parts that take a pounding , round after round, metal gets "work hardened" often becomes brittle and can fracture,,,,,proper heat treat is paramont......................the Ruger pins have broken also, same place from time to time, starting back in 1949-50...............
I had taslked with the folks at Majestic many years ago when they first came out with this set-up , saw them "someplace" at a major gun event,NSGA< Shot Show, not sure it was way back when we were "in business" and I and our gunsmiths had tested this, worked out pretty good, made things simple and easy, BUT back then we "wondered" about this very thing, now having two joined parts instead of just the one ,solid pin of Rugers....was two schools of thought, and they did work...many people have said " a fix for a non problem" as we never had issues or trouble taking the Ruger 22 semi autos "apart" but then again we have done it thousands and thousands of times MORE than the average Ruger owner or user..............
call them , they will stand behind it...............

PS please note that this happens MORE often when one uses ANY "hyper velocity " ammo, I don't care what folks say "works for them, they use it all the time"...given time, and you pound metal hard and long enough you can turn your plowshares into swords......... 8) :roll: :wink:

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Yours is not the first one of those Majestic kits I've seen with a broken bolt stop pin. It doesn't seem to happen as much as I thought it would but yours is by no means the only one that has happened to break under duress. I guess it can depend on how much use one of these pistols with the kit installed sees in its lifetime. I suspect the average owner won't fire enough rounds to cause a stress induced metal fatigue failure. Saw a guy allegedly catch a bullet in his teeth on TV once, sure hate to think what could have been if that pin had failed during usage instead of being discovered on a post-firing cleaning inspection.

R,
Bullseye

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
PS please note that this happens MORE often when one uses ANY "hyper velocity " ammo

I was aware of the restriction of using "super" ammo in the MkIII, and have never considered it. I scored a brick of Remington Thunderbolt .22s recently, and was using that ammo in that day's session. (FYI - the T'bolts worked fine.)
Now I'm considering just putting Ruger's pin back in and chalking up the Majestic part to "questionable reliability".

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
FlyerTom said:
rugerguy said:
PS please note that this happens MORE often when one uses ANY "hyper velocity " ammo

I was aware of the restriction of using "super" ammo in the MkIII, and have never considered it. I scored a brick of Remington Thunderbolt .22s recently, and was using that ammo in that day's session. (FYI - the T'bolts worked fine.)
Now I'm considering just putting Ruger's pin back in and chalking up the Majestic part to "questionable reliability".

Have you received any feedback from the maker of that conversion unit?

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
Have you received any feedback from the maker of that conversion unit?[/quote]

As a matter of fact, Dino of Majestic Arms emailed me yesterday morning, apologized for my trouble, and said he was sending a replacement pin out this morning.
How cool is that?