Broken Pawl - No more Ruger Customer Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
The pawl broke on my NM flat top that I converted to bisley. Figured I could just call Ruger and they'd send me a new one. Well they said its a fitted piece which I get it could need some timing to work properly. They wanted the gun back to fix it. Id have to put the old grip back on etc to send it back but it was already all apart anyway. Well that was going to cost me shipping $45 through them. Wow, in years past a broken gun was fixed free of charge. When I asked about that, the rep said it was only for 2 yo guns and newer and "warranty" work was a case by case deal. Kind of sad! This pawl looks far from a quality part. Curious of the steel content in there.

That said, whats the thinking behind the aftermarket pawls out there. Are the PC free spin pawls worth the price?

Thanks

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I had a New Model 44spl that suffered a broken pawl twice. Each time I sent it back on their dime but it was also early on in the Flattop era. Could be that the policy on shipping has changed since then.

contender

Ruger Guru
Some parts require proper timing to satisfy the LAWYERS who prey upon companies with deep pockets. By requiring the gun to be returned,, Ruger can properly fit the part, AND document doing so. That way good old "Bubba" with a dremel & an attitude doesn't cost them a LOT in lawsuits.
I am NOT saying you are Bubba,, just the opposite. It's the lawyers who dictate what kinds of things that can be sent out & installed at home w/o worry over lawsuits.
As for shipping it to Ruger,, a broken pawl should normally get Ruger to step up & send out a free shipping tag.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Just send the gun in. They are honest and do good work even out of warranty.
For the cost of shipping I can order a better made part, so it seems, than what Ruger can provide. Use to be no questions asked, send it and we will fix it. Ruger didnt want a reputation of broken guns out their. I can recall a local GS that had a SB with a broken top strap. The Ruger Rep wanted that thing back and was willing to over compensate the owner for it. Owner was not interested, serious conversation piece! Days of Bill Ruger I suppose!

hittman

Staff member
This is a double edged sword for businesses like Ruger.
Above and beyond the call of duty until that one time something isn't fixed for free.
I don't know how long a company should be expected to fix guns for free …. Old stuff, modified stuff, worn stuff.
Seems to me their obligation for free parts, labor and shipping has to end sometime; at least in some situations.

elmo123

Bearcat
I bought one of the Flattop 44 Spls that broke two pawls, they send me the first one and requested that I send back the revolver the second time. While it was there I requested that they check out why it shot so far to the left that I had to adjust the rear sight all the way to the right. They tested it and told me that it was going to cost more to repair it than it was worth and offered me another one in the Bisley configuration. I asked if I could upgrade at my cost to a stainless SBH and they agreed to do so at no cost to me other than the transfer fees.

Five years after shooting the SBH the front sight ramp fell off. This time they wanted to charge me shipping and repair cost which I didn't have problem with but it was cheaper to have my local gunsmith silver solder it back in place.

I have had numerous dealing with Ruger over the years and all have ended in a positive manner.

eveled

Hawkeye
This is a double edged sword for businesses like Ruger.
Above and beyond the call of duty until that one time something isn't fixed for free.
I don't know how long a company should be expected to fix guns for free …. Old stuff, modified stuff, worn stuff.
Seems to me their obligation for free parts, labor and shipping has to end sometime; at least in some situations.

Not to mention unrealistic cosmetic expectations.

People returning guns for superficial reasons, drive the price up for us all. Even when our repair is a legitimate one.

The pendulum is swinging the other way I'm afraid. They'll be charging for everything soon.

Ruger doesn't really offer a warranty, they are known for great customer service, but are under no obligation to do so. They can stop at any time.

Buck knives always had great customer service too. I heard of a guy who couldn't sharpen a knife to save his life, so he would break the blade on his knife and send it in for warranty replacement once a year.

Lots of similar stories of people taking advantage of LL BEANS return policy too.

hittman

Staff member
Stanley used to have a lifetime warranty on tape measures too ….. I'd buy broken ones at yard sales for a nickel and go get a new one at local hardware store.

Rclark

Hunter
Interesting. They just sent a pawl when one of mine broke. Over the years I have had one transfer bar break and one pawl.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
Plus you have to find an FFL who will ship it for you. Civilians can no longer ship via ups or fedex....even for service repairs

akrietcl

Bearcat
Power Custom (Grandmasters LLC) offers pawls for Rugers, including Flat top. Needs to be fitted, but likely better quality than OEM.

JBP

Single-Sixer
Plus you have to find an FFL who will ship it for you. Civilians can no longer ship via ups or fedex....even for service repairs
You can pay Ruger $45 and they will send you a box to ship it in and a FedEx label and RMA form by email. Just did that with my .357 Blackhawk.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Power Custom (Grandmasters LLC) offers pawls for Rugers, including Flat top. Needs to be fitted, but likely better quality than OEM.
These are also free spin, rather than the indexing in the new small frames. I have to wonder after looking at this more online that the indexing paw is causing the breaking. Maybe it binds or puts pressure on it with the gate open and being a subpar piece, the top notches breaks off. Where it is the thinest. Probably not an original thought!!

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
When mine went back I had them have the tech call me before any work was done. Part of the discussion included the hole in the frame needing repair, I got the impression the tech had seen the problem before. I didn't inquire further about that point but should have. Perhaps a burr in the frame slot catching on the pawl?